Can green card holders own a firearm?

Friend, NH resident, born in Puerto Rico so legal status (green card holder). He has no record, etc. I honestly don’t know if I could transfer (legally) a firearm to him. I guess I don’t know these sets of rules because they don’t apply to me personally, never cared. Good guy, but I ain’t risking my skin for nobody!
OP, just above your first post on the right hand side is a drop down menu "thread tools". Click on that and then click "edit title". :)Not a big deal for me, (tbh my brain read it as "green cards" and the first thing I thought of was MA machine gun license).

Apparently yes,
productimage-picture-gas-savings-decal-548_jpg_400x400_q85.jpg
z9QKwIY.jpg

Ch315EcWkAAxUlm.jpg

If it isn't clear in NH RSAs then I'd follow Jack's advice.

Sounds odd unless he really wasn't born in PR and just moved there as a child?? People born in PR are US Citizens, they just don't have to pay IRS taxes and can't vote in US elections.

If they live on the mainland, a state, they can vote. And they do have to pay the IRS if they live in a state.

Yes they are. The guy has no green card. No idea what the OP is talking about.

Born in Puerto Rico is born American citizen.
His English is not very good, I will ask him next time I see him. He is busy building 3/4 plus million dollar homes. He asked if he could own a gun and I thought he could. He whipped out a green card with his picture on it. I’m not sure why green card either.....

His English is not very good, I will ask him next time I see him. He is busy building 3/4 plus million dollar homes. He asked if he could own a gun and I thought he could. He whipped out a green card with his picture on it. I’m not sure why green card either.....

Green card? Or is a Puerto Rico ID green?

I’d say if it’s a real green card the. He was born elsewhere. From what I understand the courts have been clear that he can own a gun, assuming no felonies etc.

Green card? Or is a Puerto Rico ID green?
It was an ID, it was green-ish it had his picture on it. I’ve known him a few years, he works for a neighbor/friend who is a builder/developer. I can’t afford the houses that they build. We all drink beers together, as is the American way!! All are down with MAGA!!

He doesn’t speak English very well, despite being here in NH for about 7 years. Again, he is down with MAGA. He produced said ID when I asked him if he was here legally. He knows me well enough that he knows I always carry a gun(s), and I know him well enough to show him said firearms when we were having a discussion.

I understand more Spanish than your average NH redneck, and can crudely converse in Spanish. Crudely.

MA changed the law on permanent residents. Now greenvard holders can apply for a LTC license. But the freedom doesn’t come cheap. You need to pay $100 and renew the license every year. Yes, $100 every year and a few months waiting time... plus MA gun laws are so retarded, any “violation” will end serverely for us. Unfortunately, for a green-card holder, that means he will pack up and go home. So ya, freedom is not cheap for y’all.

MA changed the law on permanent residents. Now greenvard holders can apply for a LTC license. But the freedom doesn’t come cheap. You need to pay $100 and renew the license every year. Yes, $100 every year and a few months waiting time... plus MA gun laws are so retarded, any “violation” will end serverely for us. Unfortunately, for a green-card holder, that means he will pack up and go home. So ya, freedom is not cheap for y’all.
Close but no ceegar.

1. No law was changed. The federal court ruled the existing law unconstitutional so the law is now applied in a constitutional manner. (See Fletcher v. Haas).

2. MA resident permanent residents apply once every 6 years just like the rest of us. Non-MA residents do the renew every year thing.

Close but no ceegar.

1. No law was changed. The federal court ruled the existing law unconstitutional so the law is now applied in a constitutional manner. (See Fletcher v. Haas).

2. MA resident permanent residents apply once every 6 years just like the rest of us. Non-MA residents do the renew every year thing.

https://www.mass.gov/files/documents/2018/01/02/Resident Alien Application - REVISED 01 01 18.pdf

Page 2

All new and renewal resident alien permits to possess rifles or shotguns in Massachusetts are issued through the Massachusetts Instant Record Check System (MIRCS).MIRCS is a computer based applicationused to manage, process
, and monitor firearms licensing statewide. Effective January 1, 2017, The Department of Criminal Justice Information Services (DCJIS) implemented a procedural change to the application process. Specifically, the requirement for an in-person appearance at the Firearms Records Bureau (FRB) will only be required once every six years. You will still need to renew your license annually, however the application will be processed solely by mail until the next require
d in-person appearance.

All new and renewal resident alien permits to possess rifles or shotguns in Massachusetts are issued through the Massachusetts Instant Record Check System (MIRCS).
It helps to understand all the details.

A green card holder (permanent resident) does not apply for a "resident alien" permit but rather a "regular" LTC from his/her local PD.

The alien license is an FID only, and is available to non-citizens who do not have permanent resident status. Prior to Fletcher v. Haas allowing permanent residents to apply for an LTC, it was impossible for a non-citizen to get a license allowing possession of a handgun or high capacity rifle.

Last edited:
PR = US Citizen. If he is legally living in NH and is a resident there, it shouldn't be any more of a problem than someone that moved there from say, Arizona. Does he / can he VOTE in the NH elections?

Call ATF and ask Jack.

I called ATF and they don't know Jack.

(sorry, could not resist)

Not sure if he votes, was going to see him today but his crew went to a different job due to the rain.

NH resident so no need for any mass BS.

I will get to the bottom of this!

Back
Top Bottom