Cambridge Police Seize Cache of Firearms, Parts and Ammunition; Arrest Suspect

I don't know that they were or were not. I don't think he was making them for his own use. If he was, then he was woefully stupid.

I dunno.

Years ago, I was at one of the small club gun shows. Hanson. Abington. Somewhere. I was getting some plugs fitted by Crazy Earplug Guy. Waiting for my turn and some young kid (I was late 30's at the time - this guy was early 20's) comes up and talks to me like I'm his best friend.

"Yeah. I can't decide what I'm gonna get. So many choices. I love guns. Me and my uncle. We don't shoot them. We just put them up on the wall. Pull the firing pin and mount it. Pull the pins. That's all. Pull the pins. Yeah." This went on for 5 min. He must have said "pull the pins" about 28 times. I'm thinking HE thought it was like the pin on a grenade. It was like Joe Pesci in Lethal Weapon II (or was it III?). Leo Freakin Goetz! STFU!!!!

But his intention was to buy guns JUST to hang on the wall and pretend.

I wouldn't put it past this guy to JUST want to make these guns because it was fun and "let's make this one!. . . Ooooh, and I'll make that one!"

That has no bearing on the boning he's going to take being an unlicensed individual in possession of a firearm. (Is it REALLY a firearm if we haven't tested it yet??? The standard for registration in MA is after testing. Hmmmm.)

I feel bad for this guy as dumb as he is. He's building something like a birdhouse or a lego set. In 40-something states, this is NBD. I'm sorta doubting the "oh, there's this secret source" theory.

I'd love to see the Federales get hold of this case and then the USSC smack down a s-ton of MA laws over it.

...That has no bearing on the boning he's going to take being an unlicensed individual in possession of a firearm. (Is it REALLY a firearm if we haven't tested it yet??? The standard for registration in MA is after testing. Hmmmm.)

I feel bad for this guy as dumb as he is. He's building something like a birdhouse or a lego set. In 40-something states, this is NBD. I'm sorta doubting the "oh, there's this secret source" theory.

I'd love to see the Federales get hold of this case and then the USSC smack down a s-ton of MA laws over it.

Good point (IANAL).

Hopefully the defendant's lawyer reads this thread.

Hopefully not a dupe!!

Cambridge Police Seize Cache of Firearms, Parts and Ammunition; Arrest Suspect

View: https://twitter.com/CambridgePolice/status/1055100795333545985

The Cambridge Police Department today announced that a 39-year-old Cambridge resident has been arrested after 28 illegal firearms, as well as gun parts, ammunition, bullet proof vests, a milling machine and other tools were recovered in Cambridge. Mathew Devine, 39, from 43 Seven Pines Avenue in Cambridge, was arrested by Cambridge Police Officers late yesterday at his home following a four-month investigation.

The investigation began in early July 2018 after the Cambridge Police Department were notified by the United States Postal Inspection Services of suspicious activity occurring at Devine’s 43 Seven Pines Avenue residence. During the course of the investigation, it was determined that more than 75 packages worth more than $26,000 were delivered to Devine, including a complete AR-15 build kit and a milling machine, with return addresses primarily originating from gun and weapon companies. The gun parts were purchased online, distributed through the mail and assembled into untraceable complete firearms. Devine did not have a license to carry.

On Tuesday afternoon, the Cambridge Police executed search warrants on Devine’s residence and a family member’s Gold Star Road residence. After thoroughly searching both locations, the Cambridge Police seized a number of items, including the following:

• 25 illegal firearms
  • 3 unregistered assault rifles
  • Parts to make dozens of additional illegal firearms
  • Hundreds of rounds of ammunition
  • 5 bullet proof vests and other body armor
  • Milling machines

Devine will be charged with 26 counts of Possession of a Firearm or Ammunition without an FID Card, three counts of Illegal Possession of Assault Rifles, six counts of Illegal Possession of a Large Capacity Feeding Device, three counts of Possession of a Silencer, one count of Possession of ammunition, and one count of use of body armor in the commission of a felony. He is expected to be arraigned today in Cambridge District Court.

“I wanted to commend our Detectives and our cooperating partners, who have diligently worked on this case over the last several months,” said Commissioner Branville G. Bard, Jr. of the Cambridge Police Department. “The operation that was identified was deeply troubling and the results of this long-term investigation will make a significant positive impact on our community.”

In addition to the United States Postal Inspection Services, the Cambridge Police Department was assisted on this investigation by the U.S. Marshalls Service, New England Electronic Crimes Task Force and the Middlesex District Attorney’s Office.

The investigation of this operation is ongoing and the Cambridge Police asks that anyone who may have more information to contact (617) 349-3300. Those who wish to submit tips anonymously via phone, text message or e-mail, can visit Anonymous Crime Tips - Police Department - City of Cambridge, Massachusetts

The details contained above are allegations. The suspect is presumed to be innocent unless and until proven guilty beyond a reasonable doubt in a court of law.
FirearmsSeizure2018.jpeg

Those Glocks must have been planted.....everyone knows the AG doesn't allow those in HER state

I dunno.

Years ago, I was at one of the small club gun shows. Hanson. Abington. Somewhere. I was getting some plugs fitted by Crazy Earplug Guy. Waiting for my turn and some young kid (I was late 30's at the time - this guy was early 20's) comes up and talks to me like I'm his best friend.

"Yeah. I can't decide what I'm gonna get. So many choices. I love guns. Me and my uncle. We don't shoot them. We just put them up on the wall. Pull the firing pin and mount it. Pull the pins. That's all. Pull the pins. Yeah." This went on for 5 min. He must have said "pull the pins" about 28 times. I'm thinking HE thought it was like the pin on a grenade. It was like Joe Pesci in Lethal Weapon II (or was it III?). Leo Freakin Goetz! STFU!!!!

But his intention was to buy guns JUST to hang on the wall and pretend.

I wouldn't put it past this guy to JUST want to make these guns because it was fun and "let's make this one!. . . Ooooh, and I'll make that one!"

That has no bearing on the boning he's going to take being an unlicensed individual in possession of a firearm. (Is it REALLY a firearm if we haven't tested it yet??? The standard for registration in MA is after testing. Hmmmm.)

Hey man, "pulling the pins" kept Bobby Lee Swagger out of prison!

If anyone out there has received gun parts in the mail and does not have a license - they should expect a similar fate in The Peoples Republic.
It appears the local police would be more than happy to investigate you based on a tip.

Hey man, "pulling the pins" kept Bobby Lee Swagger out of prison!

He swapped the pins. Just a few thousandths, not enough to notice. LOL. Hey dog. Yer a dog, right? What's that all about? Say hi to your moms for me. ROFL!!!

I don’t see a real crime here, other than what he and that soldering iron did - but that’s between consenting persons and items.

If he was selling to prohibited persons - I have problem with that.

If he is prohibited because of a violent past - again a problem. If for a DUI 20 years ago - he’s good in my book.

Pretty sure in NH and a majority of other states, he’d be good. This could potentially be be a great case for SCOTUS.
I don’t have a problem with anyone until they hurt someone else.

And I don’t mean hurt feelings.

Having a big arsenal gives you cachet in certain circles.
Cache la Poudre River

The Cache la Poudre River ..., also known as the Poudre River, is a river in the state of Colorado in the United States.

Name

The name of the river (French for "Hide the Powder") is a corruption of the original Cache à la Poudre or "cache of powder". It refers to an incident in the 1820s when French trappers, caught by a snowstorm, were forced to bury part of their gunpowder along the banks of the river.​

Hide the Powder, LOL.

I still can't wrap my head around how the f*** cops got a warrant. Dude bought a bunch of some shit, none of which is illegal?

This goes nicely with the yesterday's news of that dude with FB pic of GF's gun. I see f***ing pre-crime department is working overtime meanwhile you can't get your f***ing local PD investigate actual crimes that occurred. f***ing heros.

I can't see it being too difficult for a COP to get a warrant from a judge in MA given "He is buying thousands of dollars in gun parts, 80% receivers, milling equipment and does not have any form of firearms license". As wrong as it is that's a rubber stamp in MA.

that... can't be real... is that real?

Poe's Law in real life.
I love the first report I saw on the news (when they are talking about the CNC machine that was found and AR15 lowers), and the "LEO" describes to the reporter how the CNC machine works =
".... it can mill out the lower section of the gun and .... that's why its called mill-spec ..."
Any proof of this?

I don't know if it has been mentioned yet, but there is a way to keep your Postman's nose out of your shit...

TIP AT CHRISTMAS!*

* It is an ancient custom and costs less than legal fees...!
A Double-Sawbuck in a card won't kill anyone.

article-0-0F0AC01E00000578-568_634x367.jpg

Garbage men get a suitcase of beer... Domestic, but not Sam Adams. [smile]

Any proof of this?

Thanks for the vote of trust ...

I tried to find the original full segment, but it appears to no longer be around. I was able to find a portion of it, in the link below.

At the 1:07 mark, the officer who originally said it, appears. This was on yesterday's early-evening news report. They have obviously now edited-out his statements to the shortened amount that is now on the linked report. It's not that surprising that it has been "corrected" by removing that part of it.

Cache Of Illegal Weapons Seized From Cambridge Home

Last edited:
Thanks for the vote of trust ...

I tried to find the original full segment, but it appears to no longer be around. I was able to find a portion of it, in the link below.

At the 1:07 mark, the officer who originally said it appears. This was on yesterday's early-evening news report. They have obviously now edited-out his statements to the shortened amount that is now on the linked report. It's not that surprising that it has been "corrected" by removing that part of it.

Cache Of Illegal Weapons Seized From Cambridge Home
Looks like the "milling machine" is a DefDist GG2...

Those Glocks must have been planted.....everyone knows the AG doesn't allow those in HER state

If you watch the end of one of the videos the CPD guy shows the reporter that comes up to take close up pics a G43 and you can hear him say it's not legal in mass because it's not on the AG list. I couldn't really tell what was there.

Another video showed a wadd of $100 bills kinda suspicious...

Another video showed a wadd of $100 bills kinda suspicious...

Got any $100 bills in your house?

I have a few of them in my wallet; you know they'd be on the evidence table next to my "arsenal" along with any other hundreds found.

"My god; he kept guns in a safe as required by law. And money in a safe, like a sane person!"

Looks like the "milling machine" is a DefDist GG2...

Ahhh, he got f***ed by Cody Wilson fighting the government. If anyone thinks that the .gov doesn't have the post office and common carriers tracking all DD shipments, you clearly weren't paying attention to what happened during Obama's term in office.

Now the post office narcing on the guy makes so much more sense.

Here's some additional information learned....

4744899807001_5853259422001_5853250246001-vs.jpg

Police said the collection of weaponry could have been “his hobby” at a Wednesday press conference held at the department’s headquarters. There was no history of violence, criminal record or mental instability that officers had found, and “he was not of concern to us” before the weaponry investigation, a deputy superintendent said.

Still, Devine had no license to carry a weapon, and the sheer number of weapons and equipment being delivered to his home was enough to draw the attention of the U.S. Postal Inspection Services in July, when local police were alerted by postal authorities. During the course of an investigation, it was determined that more than 75 packages worth more than $26,000 were delivered to Devine, including a complete AR-15 build kit and a milling machine, with return addresses primarily originating from gun and weapon companies.

The milling kit allows “80 percent” guns to be brought to full use, creating weapon after weapon that would have “no serial number on it [and be] untraceable.” It was the milling machine delivery that really caught the attention of Devine’s mail deliverer, police said.

Deliveries “were increasing daily as time went on,” Deputy Leonard DiPietro said. “What’s going on here? That’s what we’re looking into.

The deliveries were to “he and he alone,” DiPietro said of Devine.

Last edited:
were police issued a warrant to enter his residence? i'm blown away as to how they get from lawful online purchases + complete absence of any motives or intent to do anything => searching his home. I would think that unless he authorized a search or self-incriminated, this case would have a hard time surviving an appeal and actual legal scrutiny. aren't there quite a few SCOTUS cases on 4th amendment?

Back
Top Bottom