California going full retard.....again

Palladin

NES Member
This isn't doing kids any favors. I get that there are controversial topics and motifs in some of those books, but censoring them or pretending that those times didn't exist isn't going to help kids learn anything. It's like a re-write of history where nothing controversial ever happened. Removing them completely is dumb. Maybe implement some work-arounds for individuals or classes that might get too worked up over the subject matter, but complete annexation is censorship and re-writing history.

On a separate note, if one is "The Gay", is that like the highest tier gay? Like there's flamboyant, bi-curious, gay, and then The Gay?

To kill a mockingbird

OMFG.
at least MA is not that retarded YET - my oldest just got that as an assignment for his 9th grade English honors class.
sad crap when democracy goes a Fahrenheit 451 way. really brings back unpleasant analogies with a 1933. and they do not really even see that, or, hell, may be they do, go figure.
one way or another, a right to have an opinion is out of the window here, 100%.

Be ironic if the kids read Fahrenheit 451
damn, same what i was thinking - but, they do not know that book, sadly. reading as a habit is, pretty much, going to be dead with our generation here.
i tried as much as i could to make my kids read, but, as they get older - the resistance is futile. it only happens if under assignment from school. probably my fault there, but, what to do.

OMFG.
at least MA is not that retarded YET - my oldest just got that as an assignment for his 9th grade English honors class.
sad crap when democracy goes a Fahrenheit 451 way. really brings back unpleasant analogies with a 1933. and they do not really even see that, or, hell, may be they do, go figure.
one way or another, a right to have an opinion is out of the window here, 100%.
My son read Mockingbird in the 9th and decided to read Fahrenheit 451 on his own.
This is more of " Let's hide kids from reality" so they will have to depend on .Gov to protect them and lead them as they get older. Kids don't learn critical thinking skills when all they have to read is books like Sally's mom has a penis or How to be a Professional Victim All your Life.

My son read Mockingbird in the 9th and decided to read Fahrenheit 451 on his own.
GOOD for him! I am even afraid to suggest anything to mine now not to provoke a counterreaction. I can inquire later, may be, when he will be in a softer mood than usual.
At least he speaks to me, still, i think when i was his age i was a bit worse. :/

I was just listening to some movie where this was discussed. I forget the exchange - it was a bit part to the movie or whatever I was watching but it went something like, "they want to ban TKAMB because it offends people." "Isn't that the point of the book in the first place????"

GOOD for him! I am even afraid to suggest anything to mine now not to provoke a counterreaction. I can inquire later, may be, when he will be in a softer mood than usual.
At least he speaks to me, still, i think when i was his age i was a bit worse. :/
I'm lucky that our son is completely opposite of what I was at his age. Just received this email from his Spanish teacher. If I had to learn remotely in 11th grade I would have dropped out.
SmartSelect_20201210-111556_Messages.jpg

I wasn't a fan, but To Kill a Mockingbird has to rate in the top 3 books of most people I know who were forced to read it.

Personally, I thought there were better books out there, but it's a great book. Who the f*** just bans it? On the flip side, when I was in college I took a course where Mein Kampf was required reading- can't remember which class though, psychology of violence and terror maybe?

To kill a mockingbird
Adventures of Huck Finn
Of Mice & Men
The Gay
Roll of Thunder

I forgot my ADHD Meds today and the muse was upon me, sorry.

To Kill a Mockingbird
Richard Pryor & Robin Williams

View: https://youtu.be/bE1f4awlxVc

Adventures of Star Wars Finn
1607622377505.png

Of Mice & Men
1607621924190.png

The Gay
1607622039735.png

Roll of Quarters
1607622168043.png

My favorite English Lit teacher in High School got slapped down by the Principle and later the School Board when he submitted a summer reading list for his fall class of Senior students. The last week of class he handed out the "approved" book list and then proceeded to write on the chalk board, the list of books that were rejected. Guess which books I read first? Slaughterhouse Five was one of the rejected book I'm really glad I read. Lolita wasn't bad either.

My favorite English Lit teacher in High School got slapped down by the Principle and later the School Board when he submitted a summer reading list for his fall class of Senior students. The last week of class he handed out the "approved" book list and then proceeded to write on the chalk board, the list of books that were rejected. Guess which books I read first? Slaughterhouse Five was one of the rejected book I'm really glad I read. Lolita wasn't bad either.
yeah, that could only be possible before the age of iphones. now he would be 'cancelled' on the same day. any deviation from uniformity is a mortal sin and is punished by an immediate public shunning. nothing really different from 16xx or so, only different tools, and a bit different mainstream mentality.

Among many issues, several of the books include the "N" word.​
And several don't.
Way to illuminate the issues, MSM.

"Southern CA schools".
3 high schools and 3 middle schools in one single school district.
Where do I go to get my bowels back out of an uproar.

The Karen who wanted five books banned because one classmate
teased her daughter once with the N-word -
no one has yet discussed whether it actually happened.

You know kids, so it probably did.

But as has been said...
In 2020 the demand for racial hatred in America greatly exceeds the supply,​
and the gap has to be filled by manufactured outrage.​
(Hat tip: Instapundit).

FTFY/LTFY.
(Copy/Paste is your friend).

I don’t understand why any “progressives” would want to ban TKAMB. It perfectly depicts racial injustice, a cause they hold so dearly right now.

Atticus "One-shot" Finch uses a rifle to put down a rabid dog. That's bad. The dog should have had its choice to be infected with its choice of virus validated. That's why.

Also, one of the neighbors is an old lady (it's been a long time, I forget her name) who keeps a "CSA revolver" under her blanket, as she sits on the porch. Nobody (other than me) knew what that phrase meant. [rolleyes]

On a lighter note, when the kids were little, we'd go for walks around the neighborhood. One of the houses had a tree, with cement patching a hole in the trunk. I told the kids that the Radleys lived there. Several years later, they got the joke. Sometimes, humor takes time....[laugh]

Back
Top Bottom