Buying my first AR

Thanks guy. Does the Sport M&P ar15 have low profile gas block??? Also the barrel should take 0,75 end caps?
I'm looking for 13" free float hand guard to replace.
Thanks

Last edited:
Everyone seems to be bashing Bushmaster and Colt these days now that WW and Stag are "in" but they are still good rifles, my only regret with my Bushmaster is I don't have a detachable carry handle. Don't skimp to save a couple hundred bucks.

Thanks guy. Does the Sport M&P ar15 have low profile gas block??? Also the barrel should take 0,75 end caps?
Thanks

No, its a standard front sight/gas block. You will have to use a carbine length handguard.

However since you will have to remove the sight/gas block anyway, its not a bad time to replace it with a low pro if you want.

Your post makes me laugh because it looks like within 2 years you will be building them yourself.

Thanks

Daniel Defense, Centurion Arms and a few others make extended length free float rails that either have a cut out for a front sight/front sight gas block or just extended side and bottom rails that go past the front sight/gas block sight.

Dave,

Does the DD rail require the use of a different barrel nut?

If it does, he'll still have to remove the front sight.

I think DD makes some rails that clamp to the standard barrel nut. If the one with the cut out can use a stock barrel nut, then that sounds like the solution.

He would have to cut the delta ring and spring off with a dremel, but thats a piece of cake.

No, its a standard front sight/gas block. You will have to use a carbine length handguard.

However since you will have to remove the sight/gas block anyway, its not a bad time to replace it with a low pro if you want.

Your post makes me laugh because it looks like within 2 years you will be building them yourself.

I have NOT touched my gun yet. Still waiting shipping and couple FFl dealer doesn't want to transfer for me. Dammit (They said, we have it in stock so we don't take transfer what we already have)
Been watching Youtube for the whole week of how to replace free float handguard, berral, and other accessories.... I think I'm virtual newbie expert now...
Seem like with bigger tub i don't need a low profile gas block but i may buying Troy handguard. It's thin.....

Is there any Muzzle break legal in MA that i can attached into the M&P sport??. I hate the bare look of MA compliant version
Lots of stuff to learn...

Edit: Finally Fours Seasons agreed to do the transfer 10 mins ago. WOW, Excited for my first AR

Last edited:
all muzzle brakes are legal in MA

Flash hiders are not.

How can i connect one if the barrel has no thread, and threaded barrels are illigal?

Edit: after do a search here i found one info for MA "any compliant muzzle device needs to be pinned/welded to your weapon" However, can i do pinned/welded the muzzle break myself or have to be a gunsmith? Dammit too many rules

Last edited:
Buy it through a NH dealer who will pin/weld a brake on the gun before you bring it into MA.

You meant buying the gun or just the muzzle break? I already bought it online out of state and it's shipping to FS now. Looking for any other accessories in advance before pick it up at FS

You meant buying the gun or just the muzzle break? I already bought it online out of state and it's shipping to FS now. Looking for any other accessories in advance before pick it up at FS

Did you buy a MA compliant model, or a standard model with a flash hider and collapsible stock? I'm assuming it's compliant, as I don't think Four Seasons does any compliance work. If it is compliant, you'll need to either bring it to a gunsmith to have the barrel threaded (and a muzzle brake "permanently" attached), replace the barrel with a threaded one, or leave it stock.

If the gun isn't compliant, you would have to bring the upper and the lower separately to a gunsmith to get the work done. Unless the gunsmith will pick it up at FS. The bottom line is FS can't transfer a non-compliant gun to you.

Don

Thanks Guy. It' compliant fixed stock, un-thread barrel.
My next upgrade looks would be 15" handguard (Troy or other brand or midwest industries gen 2 SS) and muzzle break, and bring the buttock stock to all the way in (not sure it's legal as long as fixed????)
If it should be legal if I bring it to gunsmith to thread the barrel right and install the Muzzle break not the Flash sup....???

If the gun isn't compliant, you would have to bring the upper and the lower separately to a gunsmith to get the work done. Unless the gunsmith will pick it up at FS. The bottom line is FS can't transfer a non-compliant gun to you.

Don

Correct, if you are buying a complete rifle.

If you are assembling your rifle, and you have the skills and tools to the do the work appropriately, then you can pin/weld a muzzle break onto a threaded barrel yourself, as well as pinning your stock. According to State law, you cannot mate a non-compliant upper with a post-ban lower.

Thanks Guy. It' compliant fixed stock, un-thread barrel.
My next upgrade looks would be 15" handguard (Troy or other brand or midwest industries gen 2 SS) and muzzle break, and bring the buttock stock to all the way in (not sure it's legal as long as fixed????)
If it should be legal if I bring it to gunsmith to thread the barrel right and install the Muzzle break not the Flash sup....???

You can't really put a brake on a plain barrel. You would need to start with a free state rifle with a threaded barrel and a flash hider. You would then remove the flash hider and install the brake. Then you (or a gunsmith) would drill a hole through the edge of the brake and partly into the barrel. He would then push a pin into the hole to prevent the brake from being unscrewed. Then he would put a dab of weld over the hole to prevent someone from easily removing the pin.

So it looks like you are stuck with a plain muzzle. Its not the end of the world. Before you spend a bunch of dough on it, get yourself a .22 conversion kit and learn to shoot it and run it.

Don

I'm almost done with my part 1 questions... Lol thanks all guys for your answer help. Seems like this is my thread hahah. Sorry been reading and watching video for less than 1 week. No hands on yet.

Last one: I'm ordering Troy 15" handguard no sight and the spec said it fits the standard mil spec barrel nut so I don't need to buy new Nut :). Is the MP sport is std mil spec barrel??? Saw some some Youtube, ppl breaking the delta ring, nut ..... to install the free floating ones.

One other thing. I have a standing offer to any NESer with a M&P Sport. I'll swap you even for your stripped upper. I have some mil spec stripped uppers. I prefer guns without forward assists and dust covers.

Don

- - - Updated - - -

It is not a mil spec barrel because it is finished in a non standard way.

But its dimensions at its base and the nut used to attach it are all standard mil spec. At least in their dimensions.

So you should be all set.

One other thing. It has a carbine length sighting system. I'd guessDD makes ones for carbine, mid length, and rifle length.

Don

One other thing. I have a standing offer to any NESer with a M&P Sport. I'll swap you even for your stripped upper. I have some mil spec stripped uppers. I prefer guns without forward assists and dust covers.

Don

- - - Updated - - -

It is not a mil spec barrel because it is finished in a non standard way.

But its dimensions at its base and the nut used to attach it are all standard mil spec. At least in their dimensions.

So you should be all set.

One other thing. It has a carbine length sighting system. I'd guessDD makes ones for carbine, mid length, and rifle length.

Don

I'm newbie so i'm not sure which part that you would like to swap with the Sport? SO i need to destroy the Delta ring, nut ..... to buy new nut to fit????.... Damm I wish there is a part shop somewhere in MA so i can come to try out all the options instead of imaging everything in my head now.

Last edited:
If the Midwest rail says it works with the original barrel nut you will then have to cut off the Delta ring, Spring and C ring. its easy with a Dremel. Then you can clamp the new rail on to the existing barrel nut.

Which Model of the Midwest rail are you looking at so I can give you more detailed instructions?

Also there is a way to put a MA compliant Muzzle brake onto your barrel. If you have a 16 inch barrel you can have a gunsmith thread the straight barrel with 1/2 x 28 threads, screw on the brake that you like and have it pinned and welded, providing that the overall length of the barrel is still 16 inches or greater.

And one more thing haha. If you don't like the fixed stock you can't just unscrew it and slide it in then screw it back. It doesn't work like that. The fixed stocks come with a special receiver extension that has a single threaded hole in it and there is screw that inserts up from the adjustment rocker and that screw is then tapped in with a roll pin.

What you would need to do is buy a mil spec, 5 or 6 position adjustable receiver extension and then buy a new stock of your choosing. Then you can find the length of pull that works best for you and have the stock pinned at that length, providing the overall length of the rifle is 26 inches or greater. If you search youtube there are countless videos that teach you how to pin an adjustable stock.

Also there is a way to put a MA compliant Muzzle brake onto your barrel. If you have a 16 inch barrel you can have a gunsmith thread the straight barrel with 1/2 x 28 threads, screw on the brake that you like and have it pinned and welded, providing that the overall length of the barrel is still 16 inches or greater.

Oh god. You saved me. I was so desperate to see the other post told me I have to stuck with plain barrel. Also looking to modify the buttstock come closer (not that far away). Please tell me where the gun smith can do that.

I changed my mind about Troy. I ordered a cheaper 12.5??" thin qual rail handguard cause I want a "tough" look lol. Also ordered End cap with it.
Ordered strikefire ret dot and bipod today.

Still looking to buy the tactical light. Grip.....

I can't wait to pick up the gun this Sat and other accessories. Never touch once in person in my life. Hehehe

I'm not sure which gunsmiths around here do that because I've never had it done but if you do a search for it something will come up. Business End Customs or 1776 might be good places to start. As far as the rail goes, you need to make sure it fits over your railed gas block. If it doesn't then you will have to get a low profile gas block and swap it out first.

Just a piece of advice, before you go and buy all these things that will make your rifle look "tough" you should evaluate what you really need. Most of the time all they do is add un needed weight to the rifle.

I'm not sure which gunsmiths around here do that because I've never had it done but if you do a search for it something will come up. Business End Customs or 1776 might be good places to start. As far as the rail goes, you need to make sure it fits over your railed gas block. If it doesn't then you will have to get a low profile gas block and swap it out first.

Just a piece of advice, before you go and buy all these things that will make your rifle look "tough" you should evaluate what you really need. Most of the time all they do is add un needed weight to the rifle.

Thanks. Picked up last night. It was smaller than what i thought haha. Yeah ordered the low pro gas block. My coworker promised to do the barrel thread for me. But i have to install the low pro gas block first just incase i change other hand guards. He also will look into the buttstock too. Yes its a bit long for me.

Sent from my Samsung Note II using Tapatalk

The man 1 day at home
jemeqepa.jpg

And this is the man 1 day later in the strip club ready for the plastic surgery
etugyzu5.jpg

:D:D:D:D:D

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I317 using Tapatalk

Last edited:
Like Noxin said...buy the cheapest one you can find...shoot the shit out of it, dissemble it and then reassemble it. Learn the ins and outs and malfunctions. Then sell it when you are ready for a higher tier rifle and put it together yourself.

Sent from my DROIDX using Tapatalk 2

Back
Top Bottom