• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

Buying my first AR

I know this subject has been beat to death, after some reading I still have questions. I am looking at picking up a entry to mid level AR for myself. I will admit I am a AR newbie. What are the preferred options? Is a chrome lined barrel a must? So far I have picked out a few I like. I would appreciate any constructive critiques on these. I am an FFL so my cost will be lower then MSRP obviously. I put them in order of cost:

DPMS PANTHER LO-PRO CLSSC 223REM MSRP $769

BUSHMASTER C-15 223 16" RED DOT 30RD MSRP $865 >>>> My second choice

COLT MAGPUL M4 CARB 5.56 16" FDE 30R MSRP $1299

S&W M&P15MOE MID 556NATO 16" MOE FDE MSRP $1300

SIG M400 5.56X45 30RD 16" FDE M4 MSRP $1300 >>>> My first choice

BUSHMASTER MOE M4 223 16" DE 30RD MSRP $1330

The SIG is my favorite and first choice. The BM is my second choice based on cost. I like all of these and pricing they are all similar ( other then the C-15 and DPMS ). I like the lower cost of the C-15 but feel if I am buying a AR I should buy at least a " mid " level one. Thoughts?

Check out Windham Weaponry... Also would help to know what you want to DO with the rifle... Are you looking for a battle rifle, varmint killer, range queen??

I'd stay away from dpms. Bushmaster I'm not a fan of but that has more todo with the company it self .

S&W got my vote. The first ar I owned I built on one of there lowers.

All good choices you've listed, but personally I'd shy away from Bushmaster and go with Windham Weaponry. Guessing you're looking at a flat top as well so you can then spend a ridonculous amount on an optic at some point, like an ELCAM. My ELCAM is worth about 3 times what my AR is but I feel I'm worth it HA!

Check out Windham Weaponry... Also would help to know what you want to DO with the rifle... Are you looking for a battle rifle, varmint killer, range queen??
+1 for WW. I don't know if you know the story, but WW is for all intents and purposes, the original Bushmaster before they were sold, had all of their employees fired, you know the ones who made the rifles, and had the plant moved.

They have great customer service and a lifetime warranty. I have met their lead gunsmith, and spoken to him via email. He is always very helpful, and actually gives a shit that his product is performing well.

When I asked this question years ago, I was told "you'll never regret buying a Colt.". They were right.

All of the above. :) Although truthfully I doubt I will hunt with it.

Seriously, check out WW... Lifetime warranty that can actually be transferred to a new owner if you sell it. Have only heard great things about the people working there too. I even had talked via email's with some of them and they were very helpful. I'd look at buying one of their rifles, if I was buying a built/complete rifle.

Your other choice is to assemble one yourself. Since you're a FFL, you can get a 100% lower sent directly to you. Then pick and choose the parts to match the purpose. Assemble a few uppers with different tasks in mind, and just swap out as needed. [smile]

I know this subject has been beat to death, after some reading I still have questions. I am looking at picking up a entry to mid level AR for myself. I will admit I am a AR newbie. What are the preferred options? Is a chrome lined barrel a must? So far I have picked out a few I like. I would appreciate any constructive critiques on these. I am an FFL so my cost will be lower then MSRP obviously. I put them in order of cost:

The SIG is my favorite and first choice. The BM is my second choice based on cost. I like all of these and pricing they are all similar ( other then the C-15 and DPMS ). I like the lower cost of the C-15 but feel if I am buying a AR I should buy at least a " mid " level one. Thoughts?

do yourself a favor and build your own. It's much more satisfying. I you understand lefty loose righty righty you have the skills.

Find the cheapest a nastiest piece of crap ar. Shoot it for a bit and figure out what you want from the rifle and then either assemble one or purchase something close to your goal.

I'm mostly new to ARs, and my only suggestion is that you start off with a free floating handguard/rail.

And from what I've seen from the Windham ARs I own, and the excellent customer support offered by the company, I would not hesitate to own another.

I'm also looking for my first AR and my question is, is this the time to buy one? Costs seam to be down to "normal" levels and availability is up. But is what I understand to be the current proposed laws (unfortunately in MA) going to be an issue soon?

It looks like you're in NH. If so. get the Colt M4, they are the gold standard. If in Mass and can get a Colt M4. Colt. Period. Colt makes M4s for the military, they should know what they are doing.

http://www.coltsmfg.com/Catalog/ColtRifles/ColtLE6920Series.aspx

If you're in Mass, and you can't get a Colt, get a WW. Windham Weaponry makes a nice entry level AR. They won't sell it with a FA BCG, but you can swap one into the gun. Add a H buffer too.

S&W makes a nice weapon, but no muzzle device or 203 cut in the barrel.

Last edited:
Lots of good info, thanks! Yes, I am in NH, so I can get any of the ones listed. I will eventually build one myself but would like a complete one first to get an idea of what I will like/dislike.

Can someone explain what the " barrel twist rates " refer to? Most of the ones I listed have a 1x9, except the Colt has a 1x7. Which is preferred?

Newbie question: all the AR mags (30 rounds) can be interchangeable in any AR brand?

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I317 using Tapatalk

Newbie question: all the AR mags (30 rounds) can be interchangeable in any AR brand?

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I317 using Tapatalk

Short answer Yes. For 5.56/.223 AR15s. All usgi or other commercial mags(pmags etc..) will work.

AR10's have two different designs that I am not familiar with DPMS and something else. If you get 22lr upper there are specific mags that have to go with that. Also not sure about other caliber conversions.

Last edited:

Do yourself a huge favor and shop for one of these. Either the LWRC M6 A1 Or the LWRC SL.

I would buy this if you got a couple hundred more. http://www.gunbroker.com/Auction/ViewItem.aspx?Item=390807105

Or this for a little less.:http://www.gunbroker.com/Auction/ViewItem.aspx?Item=390365462

These 2 rifles blow away your list.

Last edited:
Get yourself a S&W M&P 15 Sport for $600 and shoot the crap out of it.

That guns shoots way above its price class. I'd put it against the Sig any day. In fact, I don't see anything the sig has that the Smith doesn't.

If you want to spend $1300, get a Colt. You can get a very nice one for less than that.

But really, I'd suggest the Sport.

DARE TO SPEND LESS.

Spend the rest of the money on a class at the Sig academy, ammo, and mags. Lots and lots of mags.

Get yourself the following P mags

10 - Gen M3 10 round - Nice for target work. Lets you get your support arm directly under the hand guard
10 - Gen M3 20 round - Good high cap for general use.
10 - Gen M3 30 round - because you can
5 - Gen M3 40 round - because they are fun

2 Surefire 60 round mags. this is the largest capacity mag that is reliable and trouble free. And its fun.

(Don't get the 100 rounder, they are very inconsistent. some run fine. Some are nothing but trouble.)

Any flat top upper will work just fine. I really do suggest you get the M&P 15 Sport. Its inexpensive and runs great. Invariably, there will be things you would prefer were different. So it will help you figure out what you like and what you don't like.

But if you are new, you should shoot iron sights for at least a little while. Buy a .22 conversion kit, and 4 mags with the money you save and go shoot an appleseed. You will learn more about marksmanship at a weekend appleseed than you could ever imagine.

www.appleseedinfo.org

A surprising number of people spend $1500 on their first AR and then start changing it as they form opinions as to what they like. Better to figure that out on a $600 rifle that shoots as well as rifles that cost more.

You could take a Sport, add a $110 RRA match trigger and a free float tube and have an $800 gun that shoots better than most guns that cost $400 more.

Plus it comes with S&W's lifetime service policy. That is HUGE in my mind. If anything ever wears out or breaks, send it in (on their dime) and they will fix it. Not too bad for a $600 rifle.

I bought my first AR in the late 80s when I was still in my teens. I know what I like, so I find I build most stuff now. But it took me a while to figure it out. 10 years ago, I spent a good chunk of change on the super sexy LMT MRP. It was my first AR with something other than A2 handguards on it other than my CMP gun. I discovered liked the free float aspect of it, but HATED having a quad rail for a forend.

Along the way, i discovered I then liked the troy battle rail.

Then I got an accuracy bug and realized that I'd rather put all my up front weight into the barrel, so I started using carbon fiber handguards.

Its a process.

I hope this is helpful to you.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom