• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

Buying a 1000+ lb safe and need it moved into my basement

via a bulkhead with stairs.

I can't seem to find anyone who does this in central MA (bolton). Emailed Deathwish piano movers 3x and no response. Called several moving companies and they can't move it.

Any ideas? This is not something I can try to do myself by renting some tools at Home Depot and bribing friends with beer. 1000+ lbs is HEAVY :)

Your bulkhead should also be accessible by pavement.If it isn't I would think about putting it somewhere else or rent a forklift.Measure the width of the safe and height of the safe.If it will fit down the bulkhead and stand up at the downstairs entrance of the bulkhead..proceed.

Heavy duty straps
2 Square 4 wheeled furniture dollys
4 men

Build a ramp of 2x4's over the stairs,lay the safe on it's back onto 2 furniture dollys to get it to the bulhead entrance,then guide it down the ramp with heavy duty straps going around the bottom of it to the top.2 guys each holding one end of the strap and 2 guys at the bottom.When it hits the bottom of the floor and still resting on the ramp,use the same straps to stand it upright onto the two 4 wheel furniture dollys.

Move safe to where you want,tip it up and remove one of the dollys,repeat for other side.

Drink beer and give the guys that helped you 1K rounds of .308 and a dinner at a good Italian eatery.

I feel for you. I helped move two club safes into a lower level over the weekend and they were only about 600 lbs. each. I still can't walk upright.........

I have the same problem. I've been looking at various safes and I can't buy one unless I can find someone to deliver and install it in my basement. I too have to get it in through a bulkhead in the back of my house.

Give Eastern Security a call. Not only can the sell the safe, they will bring it down the bulkhead--but it will cost you extra!

Have them do a site visit before you buy to make sure what you want will fit. I wanted a 50"wide but my bulkhead would only allow me a 40"

A "rigger" would also be able to do the move. They can be found in the phone book.

There is an extensive prior thread on this subject. Bottom line: in my judgment, this is not a DIY project, and the outfit that sells you the safe should arrange for its delivery in place.

Did my 1500 pounder three times. In and out of a bulk head at my old house and then into a basement door when I moved to my new home. Used similar methods to those mentioned mentioned. 2x6 runners on the stairs, large towing straps, a chain, some pipes, 5 guys plus a come along and my Dodge.

Gotta be real careful with the guys at the bottom of the stairs! Just take your time.

I did tell the wife if we ever sell this house the safe is staying and I'll buy a new one. I don't want to move it again! But I will probably change my mind back when the time comes.

Good luck with it!

Another avenue is try calling a locksmith that deals with
safes. Any locksmith worth his salt that is in the safe business will
know how to move em safely.

-Mike

4500 lbs????? WOW. What kind is it?

I'm surprised. Every freedom fighting patriot worth his Reynolds Wrap knows it takes at least 5000 lb safe to keep the Illuminati agents busy long enough to bug out to the observation post and shoot them in the back.

Or is this just a decoy safe?

I got a moving company that the Seller of the safe recommended and they moved it in for $150.

I had my 1,000-lb safe picked up at the retailer in Leominster and put into my basement in Bolton via a bulkhead by Ayer Moving and Storage. Give them a call (they're in the book) and ask for Karen - she's runs the place. It wasn't cheap (about $500) but it took 4 big guys and a truck more than a couple hours total, so seemed reasonable. And, even better, they did it without damaging either the safe or my house.

Its a Gigantic thing from the mid 1800's I found it in Colorado Springs Colorado back in 1981 and brought it home via A LTL common carrier that I worked for at the time after I saw it was crated up correctly.

Its about 6ft tall and 5 ft wide by about 4 or so ft deep, Double doors with interior doors and a small jeweler's safe inside.

Ill get the pics of it scanned and post them asap.

4500 lbs????? WOW. What kind is it?

Put it exactly where you want it and build the addition around it cause it ain't going throuh a bulkhead! 6' x 5' x 4' !!!

I agree that this is probably not a DIY thing. When Cpher moved I helped him move his safe. It had to be close to 1000... there were six guys and a motorized dolly and it was a PIA. His friend Collin almost lost a finger. When the safe was almost at the bottom it decided it wanted to go faster than everyone wanted it to and trapped his fingers between the safe and the bottom corner/side of the bulkhead. Luckily he was fast enough to get it out before the entire weight of the safe go on it. He still ended up with a nasty bruise on two of his fingers from it, but he could have easily lost them or crushed them if the whole weight had gotton on them.

I'm surprised. Every freedom fighting patriot worth his Reynolds Wrap knows it takes at least 5000 lb safe to keep the Illuminati agents busy long enough to bug out to the observation post and shoot them in the back.

Or is this just a decoy safe?

[rofl]

OK you jokers I found the pics but still have to get them scanned to upload to photobucket.

My scanner isn't working some software BS and my wife dropped the only working digital camera that I owned.

SO be patient and YEW will see my safes.

I have about 20-30 of them.

towing company

If it's 4' deep and 6' wide it should go through the bulkhead. I would suggest you call some of the local towing companies. Probably one of the smaller ones. I have watched some of the old timers do some pretty awsome things! You rig the safe in 2 straps, so that you lower with both, and then 1 winch can be used to tilt the safe on the way down.

The local boiler scrap removal guys around here would be the guys to call. They use modified 2 wheelers with lifts in them to get the old cast boilers out of basements and make short work of it with just 2 guys.

Back
Top Bottom