Buyers remorse/sellers remorse

Was just thinking about this, figured I would throw it up and see what others had to say. List the one purchase you regret most and the one you sold and still wish you hadn't.
Worst "what was I thinking purchase" walther p22
Wish I had my nib sw1911 pd with ct grips back. [frown]
I have a 1914 Paramount I bought from a coworker just because it was cheap. It's not fun to shoot and the chamber is way to ****ing big. The cases bulge like a muffin top on a fat chick.

I've never sold a gun, so I can't comment on that.

VW Vanagon. Sold it for 1k to a buddy who was in dire straights. Within a couple months, a nearly perfect VW was reduced to trailer trash status. God-tier machine....instant turd factory. Was soooo mad.

/thread

I have a 1914 Paramount I bought from a coworker just because it was cheap.

Funny - I've got the same gun. Found it at IDC firearms in Clinton shortly after they opened. It appeared to be in beautiful shape, but a bit "dirty." When I mentioned that, the owner handed me a cleaning kit. I proceeded to take it apart and clean it. By the time I was done, I was so impressed I had to buy it!

The only guns I regret buying were so-called "project" guns - missing or incorrect parts, cut-down stocks, etc. By the time I got them back in shape (if I did) they cost more than a complete gun. I don't buy projects anymore.

Can't really say I regret selling any (very few have been sold), because I usually purchased something I wanted even more. I hated giving up the H&K USPc (9mm, two-toned) just because it was the only H&K I had. The thing was built like a tank, but it was so aggressively checkered it hurt to shoot. But, I got more than I paid for it, and with the cash I was able to pick up a nice post-war Browning Hi Power.

In the end, it's all good.

I only regretted selling a couple firearms, and that was only until I replaced them with something better. I missed my stock 92FS until I got a mint accurized 92F. Currently regret selling my Colt 1991A1, but that will fade as soon as I buy a new 1911. Otherwise, I'm pretty happy with my choices to sell.

Buyer's remorse? Yeah, that's a different story. Lots of guns I could have done without buying, but few I've lost money on, and all were learning experiences.

Don't get me started on sellers remorse.... 160+ rifles gone at once with too many to count that im sad I let go fir $40k less than worth. Killer is 70% of them are impossible/too expensive to replace now.

Buyer's remorse: I bought a Star PD pistol back in the 70's because I wanted a more compact .45 ACP. Hated it almost from Day 1 and sold it at a loss about a year later.

Seller's remorse: Sold my Ruger Mark I Target (the first pistol I ever owned) after I found an S&W Model 41. Very poor decision on my part.

Ruger MkII that was offered to me at an unbelievable price; not taking advantage of the racks of milsurp rifles an old favorite store used to have when I first got my FID around 1989-90. M1 carbines for around $200; SKS's for around $175, Garands, Springfields, plus a serious selection of excellent old lever actions. Parting regrets? The 1964 Olds Dynamic 88 I sold in my 20's because I had no place to work on it; my 1972 Gibson SG tobacco sunburst (this may be the worst of the bunch); my sanity during the eight prime years I wasted on my undeserving dope of an ex-gf.

I don't really regret selling any of the guns I have sold. I can tell you the best sale I ever made was getting rid of my M&P40c. Dropping fortay is the first step towards becoming less of a noob.

Buyers remorse. S&w bodyguard.
Ditto. That thing is the definition of a gut gun. I know you can "fix the trigger pull" but I'd rather buy something that is somewhat good out of the box.

Buyers: not buying a FAL when offered to me for $300. The barrel had issues but it was complete and functioning. Not buying a PSL clone for $600 with extra mags, bags and a crate of ammo.

Last edited:
Buyers remorse:
S&W Bodyguard 380
Walther P99c .40S&W
Walther PPK .380
Walther PPS 9mm

Wasted a good amount of money searching for a carry gun when I was younger. Bought and sold these all within about 1.5 years. Thank God I got my Glock 26 ;-)

Buyer's Remorse for Buying the gun:

Winchester 190 - 1st gun and wrong thing to start out with. Sold shortly afterwards.
Walther P22 for my Wife - jam-o-matic with every ammo we tried in it. Sold it.
S&W Stigma 40V - 5 parts in the gun broke after the 2nd mag shot (new). S&W fixed the gun and I sold it.
Taurus PT111 Millennium - bought to carry as a Constable but never liked the 1/2 mile trigger pull. Sold it.
OMC Backup .380 - bought as my first carry gun, practiced every week but with the 1.75" bbl and 15# trigger pull (our AGs would be proud, and this was ~1976) it was a beast. Sold it.

Seller's Remorse:

Colt 1911 MK IV Series 70 bought new, had trigger too large for my hand so sold it after sitting in the safe for 20 years, only to learn that a short trigger was short money and would solve the problem. Finally scored a replacement a few years ago.

Non-Buyer's Remorse for being too stupid and NOT buying the gun:

Walther P38 WWII Bring-back - worst regret!! After Chief Glidden gave a lecture on the "new" gun laws in 1999, an elderly man approached him and told him that he wasn't going to bother renewing his LTC and just wanted to get rid of this war trophy be brought back. Ron came over and asked me if I was interested and I said I wasn't interested in an "old gun" and didn't pursue it. About 30 minutes later regret set in but it was too late, the elderly Veteran had disappeared into the sunset!
Mid-1970s - walking thru Woolworth's on Washington St in Boston and seeing buckets of M1 Carbines and other mil-surp guns for $99 or less. No interest in "old guns" back then! Dumb!! [My gun club back then didn't allow any CF rifle, which also contributed to these decisions.]

Buyers remorse:
Para Ordnance LTC (crap, dealer took it back)

Sellers Remorse:
MI6 special Edition Walther P99 .40 (10 in the world I was told in .40, in 9mm there were 1000)
West German made Walter PPK
Walther L102A1 (P5c made for overseas police, I forget which country(s)), supposedly only 40 were imported into the USA
and every other gun I sold.

Mvc-018f.jpg

Buyers remorse: first guns were a Glock 22, and a sw 642. I could not hit the broad side of a barn with the 642, if I was IN the barn, and I never shot the glock all that great either.

sellers remorse: I quasi-regret selling my glock 26 and BHP, but I sold them for MA prices, so I can replace them for 1/3 less when I move.

Sold a nice S&W 586 once, I wish I had kept it.

I've bought tons of dumb stuff, nothing I really regret though.

Buyer remorse : S&W 500 & S&W 460. It was too expensive to shoot. Bad recoil because I'm too sissy. That said, I have 3 S&W 500 and 2 S&W 460. All lost in a boating accident.

Selling remorse : Mosin 91/30. I got too many in the safe and it's overflow the safe. Rather than having a boat accident, I sell it for a dime.

Sent from my Tinfoil hat

Buyers remorse:
Para Ordnance LTC (crap, dealer took it back)

Sellers Remorse:
MI6 special Edition Walther P99 .40 (10 in the world I was told in .40, in 9mm there were 1000)
West German made Walter PPK
Walther L102A1 (P5c made for overseas police, I forget which country(s)), supposedly only 40 were imported into the USA
and every other gun I sold.

View attachment 94906

and the pictures to prove it. nice

I only remember selling and regretting one gun. It was a Dan Wesson 15-2 "pistol pack". It was a nice .357 mag revolver with 2", 4", 6", and 8" barrels and two sets of grips. One large target grip and a small "boot" style grip. It came in a case that looked like it contained a flute or other small musical instrument. Th case was lined with yellow cloth covered foam and held the barrel wrench and cylinder gap gauge. It was a beautiful gun that I got for a steal many years ago. I just never shot it so I ended up selling it at a small profit. It would probably cost me 3x what I sold it for to replace it today.

I learned my lesson and have not sold a gun in MANY years.

I almost feel guilty about the four vintage Colt revolvers that I purchased for $200 from an older gent who's son "had no interest in such things."

Yes, that is a royal blue Python and Diamondback along with a Officer's model target .32 and a Commando.

Almost...........

Buyers Remorse:

Ruger MKII .22 LR Pistol. If I can go the rest of my life without owning another one of these, I will, unless it involves an integral suppressor... yuck.

Seecamp LWS .32 pistol. Overrated pistol that requires a death grip for reliable function, also has worst manual of arms, ever. (can't retract slide unless mag is in the gun.... what the **** is that shit? ) Thankfully on that POS when I rolled it I got nearly all my money
back.

AMT Back Up .380 DAO. Total POS.

SigSauer P220 Stainless. Gun worked fine, but this had a lot of minor issues that stacked into a turd cake. Sight dovetails on my gun were ****ed up so badly from the factory that when I had an LPA adjustable installed I had to crank it most of the way in one direction to get it to line up. Single action trigger was also best described as "creepy as ****"- the gun broke very uncleanly. The surface of the slide also didn't match the frame either... both stainless, but one looked like it was bead blasted the other not so much... so one half the gun is shiny and the other is matte. I don't know why Sig even bothered with this gun, it's inferior to an alloy framed P220 in every way.

Kimber 2004 Anniversary Edition 1911- Krapber. That's all I'm going to say on that one.

Sellers Remorse: (although honestly, at the time I really didn't have a choice, these had to go... )

Arsenal SAM-7 7.62 x 39
Colt 6520 Govt Carbine
CZ SP01 Shadow Custom Target
Sig P228 West German proofed
Smith & Wesson 945 PC Commander....
Smith & Wesson 640 snub
Smith & Wesson 686-5 with factory trigger/action job and trigger stop installed.

-Mike

Seller's remorse:

I've only ever sold one firearm and here I am almost 20 years later trying to hunt another one down to buy: a S&W 5906 (and I'm sure I'll probably end up paying over double what I originally did for a brand new one!)

Buyer's remorse:

Buying an Ariska Type 38 barreled receiver. Too much of a project gun for me.

Last edited:
Buyer's remorse
S&W bodyguard 380 enough said

Seller's remorse
The first gun I ever bought colt 1911. The kicker is I sold it 23 years ago to my brother. He does not use it and will not sell it back to me. The worst thing is it's in my safe right now but he will not shoot it.

Buyers remorse was almost always paying too much:

1. The MA markup on all the Glocks I've purchased. FU AG!

2. Pre-bans I bought without knowing what I should be paying.

3. My first AR-15 upper.

Oh. Here's one.

Non-buyers remorse. Back in 85, I bought a brand new Colt AR15 A2 Hbar. If I remember right, it was about $550 or $600.

I still have the gun. But here's the kicker. At the time, the dealer suggested I spring for a M16 A2. They were about $900+$200 for the stamp if I remember right.

I told him no. I had no interest in feeding a full auto gun.

My pristine AR is probably worth $1800ish.
A pristine M16 A2, which is very rare, is well over $20K.

Buyers remorse - 92inox all stainless controls in pristine condition, not like the new ones with black bits... its beatiful but I hate cleaning firearms and the inox reminds me of that and that I also hate to see it dirty.
Shot it 3 times and I think if it was a reg 92 I would have taken it out more.

Never sold anything firearms related

Back
Top Bottom