Burglar throwing rocks at my window

There is a good side - the BG saw the car in the back, yes? It looked like no one was home, however there was. Starting the car was probably the best thing you could have done hun. There's no way he can tell if someone is or isn't home now.

I'm shocked no one here suggested firing warning shots....I've been waiting for that reply.

Russian theory of warning shots:
Russian police believe in firing their warning shots into the bodies of the criminals. It's considered a warning to any other criminals around not to screw with them.

I was being facetious when I said I would send my dog out.. In all reality, a "bad"guy" wouldn't get injto my yard, because my dog who was raised to be a guard dog would be there. I would never send my dog into a dangerous situation, but protecting us is her job.. She likes it, she told me.. haha Most burglars will be deterred by a barking dog anyway, which makes me think the burglar knew that the OP's dog wasn't a threat.. They were probably casing the house.

The worst thing is to let them get in and get the upper hand, help is not going to arrive for a while....
When you are inside, behind a locked door, you are in a defensive position. They must enter through a relatively small number of openings. You know those openings intimately. They will give notice of their entrance, by breaking the door or window.

If there are multiple assailants, most likely they will come in through that opening one at a time. In contrast, if you are outside the house, they can come at you simultaneously from multiple directions.

I would much rather be inside, shooting at the armed robber who kicked down my door and is walking through it, than be outside (particularly in the dark), where I don't know where he is and I don't control the light.

When you are inside, behind a locked door, you are in a defensive position. They must enter through a relatively small number of openings. You know those openings intimately. They will give notice of their entrance, by breaking the door or window.

If there are multiple assailants, most likely they will come in through that opening one at a time. In contrast, if you are outside the house, they can come at you simultaneously from multiple directions.

... And, if it's an assault by dotgov or the Russian mob, they will probably rush the front and back simulataneously. Booby trap one, defend the other by rifle. [wink]

I would have shut the dog up. And waited to see what happened after he broke the window. Once he gets inside the house he or she is fair game.

The problem with "scaring off" the burglar is that he lives to steal another day and the next time around he will only be smarter. If they really want to get into your house for some reason and you keep impeding their progress they will only up their game and go after you a different way. You create an arms race by just scaring him off.

What you need to do is figure out a way to make sure that your house is removed from the list permanently. This means either making your house absolutely impregnable - or removing the threat.

Since there has been a number of break ins in your neighborhood that means that there is most likely one person or a crew of people just going thru the neighborhood breaking into each house. It's not like you have to remove an entire population of thieves - you just have to take care of one or maybe two or three of them at most.

The next time he comes around shut the dog up and don't set off the car - let him break in . Then give him the beat down of his life - or trap him inside the house somehow and give him to the police.

It has been my experience that this type of stuff will never end until extreme measures are taken. They WILL keep coming back until they get what they want. You need to be just as much of a ruthless prick as they are willing to be or you are putting yourself under their thumb.

What kind of theif tosses rocks at a window in the middle of the afternoon..with the chance of being seen from someone inside?

Darwin award.

In FL not so, thank goodness.
One of its redeeming characteristics, among many flaws...

You have a duty to shoot bad guys and bad guys only... Other than that... All's fair in love and gun play... [laugh]

Unfortunately, as a function of a few "bad data points" (cough! MIAMI! cough!) FL is one of those exceptions to the rule that more guns in legal hands means less crime... The stats in FL aren't as clear as they are in other "free states"...

From the data I have seen that is mostly because of Miami and a few isolated areas throughout the state having extraordinary crime rates that skew the data from the other areas...

dog

99% of dogs (made up stat...but willing to bet its close) that people THINK will turn into a bidable attack dog, don't.

People always say "yeah, but if Spahky eva saw someone comin in the house..he'd chew their ass" The facts are that it doesn't happen.

My neighbor (an LEO) has seen MANY home invasions in which dogs were home. His words to me..."when someone breaks into your house and a dog is barking...you don't want to see what I have seen done to dogs"

Dogs do not naturally have a bite instinct...with the notable excepetion of a TOP working dog. Shepherds and the like will naturally "protect" by barking and warning you...but to bite is a COMPLETELY unnatural response for most dogs.

It is just like us and our firearms. A man or woman has a gun, it doesn't mean they know how to use it. Dogs have a sharp end...it does not mean they know how to use it to subdue or deter an intruder.

Don't let your pet dog out of the house...not worth it...because the chances are slim that he will do anything but come back with a severe wound.

I hear Harbor Freight has some ok color video camera's for reasonable prices. Just an idea. May not be top of the line, but getting them placed in the right direction, and placing something in veiw that you know the height of, you can give a reasonable description, height, possible weight, clothing, and possible race. Spending a $100 or 2, is so much better than the $1000's or tens of $1000, to defend and/or survive an attack from the BG or Mother May I Mass.

Some relatively inexpensive options:

http://www.newegg.com/Product/ProductList.aspx?Submit=ENE&N=40000521&Description=video camera&bop=And&ActiveSearchResult=True&Order=PRICE

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produ...eals&SubCategory=152&StoreType=2&N=2010290152

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produ...hInDesc=&MinPrice=&MaxPrice=&Manufactory=1935

Back
Top Bottom