Burglar throwing rocks at my window

Over the weekend, my wife left to go do her errands. We have two cars. One sits in the back drive-way and the other sits parked in front of the house. When we go out together we usually take the car park out front.

Anyway Saturday afternoon I was upstairs on the computer and my dog started barking. I could hear a faint banging. I walked downstairs and sure enough the dog is barking at the kitchen window.

I have an auto start on the car parked in the back. So I hit the button and BG left. I never looked out the window to actually see him.

So this got me thinking. What if I handled this different? If I opened up my front door with gun in hand and walked around to the back and caught him, would my LTC been revoked? I mean I'm scarying the sheeple around my house kinda thing. What legal issues would I had to face? Would I have been arrested with the BG?

you probably would have gotten reamed, it is MA after all. did you at least call the police and report the activity?

if you confronted someone i am sure his lawyer would paint you as the aggressor with your hollow-tipped cop-killing bullets looking to kill a young man who was a good boy and turning his life around should that case go to court.

I would have carried concealed and confronted him... at a distance. I would tell him that the cops are on their way and to not make any sudden moves. If he ran away, let him go. If he came at me I would draw and tell him to lay down. Depending on what the perp does next would determine the rest of the story.

Over the weekend, my wife left to go do her errands. We have two cars. One sits in the back drive-way and the other sits parked in front of the house. When we go out together we usually take the car park out front.

Anyway Saturday afternoon I was upstairs on the computer and my dog started barking. I could hear a faint banging. I walked downstairs and sure enough the dog is barking at the kitchen window.

I have an auto start on the car parked in the back. So I hit the button and BG left. I never looked out the window to actually see him.

So this got me thinking. What if I handled this different? If I opened up my front door with gun in hand and walked around to the back and caught him, would my LTC been revoked? I mean I'm scarying the sheeple around my house kinda thing. What legal issues would I had to face? Would I have been arrested with the BG?

I don't understand your story...was your car broken into? was someone vandalizing your house by throwing rocks at it? How do you know any of this since you didn't look out the window???

I would have thrown lead at his head...
I seriously would have let my dog out, and then called him an ambulance..

You didn't actually see the burglar, why didn't you look out the window and get a good look at his face. This could haunt you in the future if he comes back because he saw something he liked? This is very concerning to me because I live in Milford a town over!

Last edited:
He was throwing rocks at the window to break in. He purposely used this window because it sheilded him from the park car in the drive-way. No one could see him from this angle.

You're right. No crime was committed. I guess I could have waited for him to break the window and climb in. In hind sight that's exactly what I'll do the next time, if it happens again.

I don't understand your story...was your car broken into? was someone vandalizing your house by throwing rocks at it? How do you know any of this since you didn't look out the window???

not enough info to give my non-expert analysis

do you have kids? could it have been one of their friends? maybe a young horny teenager hooking up with a booty call? -just saying

Confront him? Why?

Here in my town, police response is a couple minutes tops. Why would I go outside and put myself in possible jeopardy? I don't know how many burglars there are. There may be more than one. They may be armed. Just because I have a gun and am the "good guy" doesn't mean I will prevail.

Call 911 and be a good witness. You're no good to your family if you are dead.

I would have thrown lead at his head...
I seriously would have let my dog out, and then called him an ambulance..

And then you would have been sued because your dog attacked an "innocent jogger". I would have armed myself and called the cops. As long as he was outside of my house no lead would be flying in his direction.

I just reacted. Not saying my actions were the best. I ran downstairs and saw my dog barking and growling. I took out my keys and hit the auto start. I just reacted this way.

The street I live on has had over 7 break-ins. I guess I don't help using my out door movie system on the weekends. But hey, it's my home and I should be able to anything I want.

Anyway, you're right you live right up the street from me. You probably already know about the teenagers breaking into cars at night! I'm not concerned about it happening again. I'm more concern it may happen when I'm not home.

You didn't actually see the burglar, why did you look out the window and get a good look at his face. This could haunt you in the future if he comes back because he saw something he liked? This is very concerning to me because I live in Milford a town over!

Confront him? Why?

Here in my town, police response is a couple minutes tops. Why would I go outside and put myself in possible jeopardy? I don't know how many burglars there are. There may be more than one. They may be armed. Just because I have a gun and am the "good guy" doesn't mean I will prevail.

Call 911 and be a good witness. You're no good to your family if you are dead.

+1 to M1911 - No reason to get into a fight if you dont have to. Call the PD, a window isn't worth being dead, crippled or in jail for. The gun never comes out unless what I'm fighting for means I'm prepared to be any of those three to protect it. My car, my window, et al, not worth it.

grand_torino.jpg

I just reacted. Not saying my actions were the best. I ran downstairs and saw my dog barking and growling. I took out my keys and hit the auto start. I just reacted this way.

The street I live on has had over 7 break-ins. I guess I don't help using my out door movie system on the weekends. But hey, it's my home and I should be able to anything I want.

Anyway, you're right you live right up the street from me. You probably already know about the teenagers breaking into cars at night! I'm not concerned about it happening again. I'm more concern it may happen when I'm not home.

IF there have been break ins, I personally would be on high alert.

-whatever "high alert" means to you [wink]

so if someone is throwing rocks: first i'm going to do is get a good look at the person, keep my eye on the prize, but listen for other noises (360 degree security). IF i'm NOT within reach of my phone, too fak'n bad.

as far as going outside.... your call and YOUR call only.

me? i know what i'd do. [devil2]

but at the minimum, a good look at the "bad guy" - what he's wearing, any car data ect.??

having been in similar sitreps, they may or may NOT be back.

backwards plan from what just happened to suit YOU and YOUR family.

I'm not concerned about it happening again. I'm more concern it may happen when I'm not home.
Yup, sounds like the house is being "cased"...

I'd let the local PD know so they are aware of the activity and can connect the dots as needed to other burlaries...

Also creates a paper trail in case something bad does happen...

If you feel silly calling 911 after the fact, most PDs have a non-emergency number they can connect to you someone who can decide how to handle your complaint...

As for what to do if they come back...

Don't go outside...

Find yourself a nice defensible spot and wait for them to come in... Dial 911 of course and protect yourself and family from INSIDE your house rather than going outside... I am not a lawyer, but I might be your juror [wink]

BTW starting the car (provided it remains locked) is a good way to scare them off as are sensor lights...

Anything to make them think you are there... They'd usually rather rob an empty house...

Last edited:
derek thanks for the picture can you say please get off of my lawn if this was down deep south you would have i min. to get off the ao oh thats right its ma, call 911 and protect your loved ones inside the home they are very important.

derek thanks for the picture can you say please get off of my lawn if this was down deep south you would have i min. to get off the ao oh thats right its ma, call 911 and protect your loved ones inside the home they are very important.
Even if I was not in MA, but in a more lenient jurisdiction, I still would not go outside. I don't know how many there are outside. I don't know where they are. They know where the doors are. They may be armed. Doors are fatal funnels. I'd rather they were coming through that fatal funnel towards me than for me to be going through that fatal funnel towards them.

I'll stay inside. Even discounting the possible legal entanglements, it is safer inside.

Is the muzzle of that M1 Garand welded shut? Never noticed that in the movie but then again I watched it on a smaller screen. You had a good result so you did nothing wrong this time. No one is dead, you still have your window in tact. Keep an eye on him and be prepared and understand the legalities of your actions. If he wants to come in and he makes it in then you and him can have a tango. Until then let the PD deal with him. If you come out and drawn on him... he could know to come back because there's a gun in the house or he can come back after he runs away but come prepared the 2nd time around.

I have a 245 lb. dog and I wouldn,t have let him out. I wouldn't want him to get hurt. You can't defend property with deadly force in Ma. I think if you drew your gun, you'd be in trouble. You did the right thing under the circumstances. If he broke into the house I'd have a different answer.

In this case its you saying "he was throwing rocks at my car", and he says "I was just walking by and this guy comes out brandishing an evil weapon". Do you want to throw those dice?

Instead, call the cops first and say "hey, there is a guy throwing rocks at my car windshield trying to break in, can you come over to arrest him". Then, at least you called first and have ~ established that you are the good guy.

I would have carried concealed and confronted him... at a distance. I would tell him that the cops are on their way and to not make any sudden moves. If he ran away, let him go. If he came at me I would draw and tell him to lay down. Depending on what the perp does next would determine the rest of the story.

I would not have confronted him at all, that might have escalated the situation. You didnt know if he may in fact be armed himself. Arm yourself and call 911 from inside the house. If he made it inside your house, that is a different matter.

I guess I could have waited for him to break the window and climb in. In hind sight that's exactly what I'll do the next time, if it happens again.

About 20 years ago when I was renting an apartment in Newton, I was awakened by two punks at my bathroom window. It was around midnight in the summer and the window was open except for a screen and a venetian blind. I could hear them but they could not see me. They were discussing if they should break in and how to do it. I quickly armed myself and dialed 911. Then I just stood in the hall until they entered. As soon as the first guy got in, I turned on the light and told him to freeze. The second guy ran just as the cops showed up. They caught him and proned him out. I made the second guy lie down on the floor, and told the 911 operator that the front door was unlocked and I had the other guy at gunpoint. The cops came in and made me put my gun down and then cuffed him.

Nobody got shot and they got caught. After it was all over, one of the cops told me I should have shot him and put a steak knife in his hand. Yeah, thanks for that advice sir.....

It was pretty exciting though.

"After it was all over, one of the cops told me I should have shot him and put a steak knife in his hand. Yeah, thanks for that advice sir...." -Lucas

Don't forget to yell "He's comin' right for us!"

[laugh]

Glad you came through ok, nice work...

He was throwing rocks at the window to break in. He purposely used this window because it sheilded him from the park car in the drive-way. No one could see him from this angle.

You're right. No crime was committed. I guess I could have waited for him to break the window and climb in. In hind sight that's exactly what I'll do the next time, if it happens again.

No crime committed? How about attempted B&E. Who knows, he may have been carrying a knife. It seems better to err on the side of caution and call the PD

Nobody got shot and they got caught. After it was all over, one of the cops told me I should have shot him and put a steak knife in his hand. Yeah, thanks for that advice sir.....

he got it wrong. your supposed have a "throw away" piece to place next him.

or

a panic room that you go into, dawn your gear... vest, side arm, knife,

then you cut the power to the house wich elimates phones, jams radio's and go to work.

you execute the bag guys with your AR complete with NVG's, Aimpoint, lazer and surefire...

[laugh]

after it's all done, you turn on the lights and ye'll "CLEAR"

a panic room that you go into, dawn your gear... vest, side arm, knife,

then you cut the power to the house wich elimates phones, jams radio's and go to work.

you execute the bag guys with your AR complete with NVG's, Aimpoint, lazer and surefire...

[laugh]

after it's all done, you turn on the lights and ye'll "CLEAR"

Flash-Bang FTW! [rofl2]

That panic room idea is awesome! I hadn't thought of using one like that before. When I build my underground off-grid dream bunker in Montana someday, that's exactly how I'm going to have the place set up. What if the bad guy has a flashlight though? Could I set up some kind of strobe system throughout the house that'd only blind him but not me? Hmmm.... well anyway, all that stuff will matter only if the bad guy gets past my automated laser point defense system.

For now, my plan is to hide behind my bed, aim gun at locked bedroom door and wait for bad guy to bust it down.

Back
Top Bottom