Bullet Casting & Coating MegaThread

My local guy charges $11 for a fill a runs that sucker till it’s pissing gas out.
Recently? 2019 TS was $9 for 4 gallons IIRC maybe cheaper
I dont have a “local” place. Its echange or set price for fill at achuboun / nursery , theres a large gas place right around the corner thats always expensive for anything less than 100 gallons.

Recently? 2019 TS was $9 for 4 gallons IIRC maybe cheaper
I dont have a “local” place. Its echange or set price for fill at achuboun / nursery , theres a large gas place right around the corner thats always expensive for anything less than 100 gallons.
Yeah he’s been $11 for years. Filled up 3 a couple weeks ago.

i wonder if you solder them to gether they will hold up. ?
Good question. I know I’ve run the double ball loads in 38 special using the Lee 18 cavity mould. It drops little 2 or 3 ball strings depending how well you run it. I can’t say they held together when shot though.

Either way they print close enough to not worry much about it.

Some day if the price of lumber ever comes back down I want to do a 2x4 shoot and for the fun of it run 1 stage with multi ball loads to see if they work any better.

Good question. I know I’ve run the double ball loads in 38 special using the Lee 18 cavity mould. It drops little 2 or 3 ball strings depending how well you run it. I can’t say they held together when shot though.

Either way they print close enough to not worry much about it.

Some day if the price of lumber ever comes back down I want to do a 2x4 shoot and for the fun of it run 1 stage with multi ball loads to see if they work any better.
we used to roll all the stumps and logs out onto the range years ago and play toothpic factory. I can tell you round balls out of the rifles always seemed to destroy things faster.

I remember reading an article in the black powder handbook (I think) it was something like “why ballisticians go grey” and it had to do with the killing powder of a round ball vs some fancy high powered controlled expansion whiz bang cartridge.

I remember reading an article in the black powder handbook (I think) it was something like “why ballisticians go grey” and it had to do with the killing powder of a round ball vs some fancy high powered controlled expansion whiz bang cartridge.
my buddy pushes his 175 grain 50 call round balls a touch over 2000fps for what ever reason if your blasting wood it destroys it vs 175 grain "bullets" at the same velocities.
I know what the shotgun slugs and balls do to the target frames....target frames usually take a lot more hits with "bullets"
Now hitting stuff...."bullets" are "more accurate" than round balls

my buddy pushes his 175 grain 50 call round balls a touch over 2000fps for what ever reason if your blasting wood it destroys it vs 175 grain "bullets" at the same velocities.
I know what the shotgun slugs and balls do to the target frames....target frames usually take a lot more hits with "bullets"
Now hitting stuff...."bullets" are "more accurate" than round balls
My guess would be the soft alloy. It tends to deform and that messes with the path of penetration. Think of some soft wonky chunk of lead half flattened and misshapen from hitting a rib. I bet that does all kinds of weird things.

Hope to get a sample loaded up tonight and get out tomorrow
Ran through a .452 sizer they drop from mold just under .452. Im lucky my only 2 45s I shoot through dont lead with ANYTHING I put through them .450-.452
My top punch does not fit this profile and puts a little ring on the tip.
This is a new to me old lyman 452488
Straight wheel weight alloy air dropped.
I will run a few with my standard 3.5 grains clays and a old school paper puncher load with bullseye maybe 4 grains?
Im only trying to hit a 5-6” black aiming bull at 25&50 yards. Hitting that is about the skill set I can achieve. image.jpg

Ran through a .452 sizer they drop from mold just under .452. Im lucky my only 2 45s I shoot through dont lead with ANYTHING I put through them .450-.452
I will run a few with my standard 3.5 grains clays and a old school paper puncher load with bullseye maybe 4 grains?
Im only trying to hit a 5-6” black aiming bull at 25&50 yards. Hitting that is about the skill set I can achieve. View attachment 505185
Let me know what top punch number you need. I might have one hanging around.

I don’t have a Lyman sizer anymore.

Im only trying to hit a 5-6” black aiming bull at 25&50 yards. Hitting that is about the skill set I can achieve. View attachment 505185
image.jpg On my way to give them a run.
Wimpy target loads 650fps maybe.
Loaded to 1.120 3.7 gn BE crimped to about .472” Cycle manually with mo issues and no damage to bullet.
Basic Whee weight alloy and 2% tin image.jpg

View attachment 505526On my way to give them a run.
Wimpy target loads 650fps maybe.
Loaded to 1.120 3.7 gn BE crimped to about .472” Cycle manually with mo issues and no damage to bullet.
Basic Whee weight alloy and 2% tinView attachment 505526
Not to bad I started with center hold 1st 7 rounds went high right and a little loose. Been a while since I shot the 1911.
25 yards slow fire 2 hands image.jpg
Held 6 Oc for next 8 then a tad left for last 8 , last 8 are 2 low 9s and 4 X 2 right 9s. 25 yards.

these where nice and mild but a tad to mild and feeding was not great. Lots of stove pipes. Bump it up next time

Not to bad I started with center hold 1st 7 rounds went high right and a little loose. Been a while since I shot the 1911.
25 yards slow fire 2 handsView attachment 505580
Held 6 Oc for next 8 then a tad left for last 8 , last 8 are 2 low 9s and 4 X 2 right 9s. 25 yards.

these where nice and mild but a tad to mild and feeding was not great. Lots of stove pipes. Bump it up next time
I would call that a success.

It would be a sad day if I ran out of bullseye. Always been my go to.
Although I’m using clays more and more lately.
How is green dot in the 45? I always figured it was a little slow.

It would be a sad day if I ran out of bullseye. Always been my go to.
Although I’m using clays more and more lately.
How is green dot in the 45? I always figured it was a little slow.
Have not tried it but I got a jug that just sniffles in the corner of the cabinet. Guilting me into trying it.
Been using clays for a long time and just never drifted away from it much. I have several 1lb jugs of various powders to use up.
Just working through the cabinet and using up what ever is on the list here and in the lyman cast manual I have.
If I come across anything that shines I will look for that come restocking time
2C33C9B3-7405-407B-A8C3-4D80AF8CE12D.png

Last edited:
Finally got out to test some 17, 17.5, and 18 gr 2400 8mm rounds from the 100 yard mark supported. I was leaning away from the 17.5 till my kids shot a round and got the best grouping. Guess I’ll have to pour some more and repeat the test. I think I might use a better target next time and the sight has to be moved slightly to the right.

AB43CA4F-C4EC-4EA0-8CC2-EA41721E0F85.jpeg
The circled group was my kids round and he had one flyer.

Finally got out to test some 17, 17.5, and 18 gr 2400 8mm rounds from the 100 yard mark supported. I was leaning away from the 17.5 till my kids shot a round and got the best grouping. Guess I’ll have to pour some more and repeat the test. I think I might use a better target next time and the sight has to be moved slightly to the right.

View attachment 505807
I always find that during load development my most accurate group is the one that somebody else shot for me. 😂

What is the endgame with a rifle? Ringing steel or Shooting Group‘s?

View attachment 505807
Are you using a scope?
Better targets are s must , SR-1 repair centers are good and should be on sale soon at brownells/midway

Back
Top Bottom