Bullet Casting & Coating MegaThread

Hey all....I didnt want to start a new thread, so I thought I would slide this in here.

Budget lower or is the metallurgy more complicated? I am sure that additional ingredients are needed..

Thanks @mac1911 for the great article. I’m going to give it a few test runs.
I have not been very successful with cast in the M1. I have reached a level of 100% function but accuracy just tanks as I get to that 1900fps and the 1/10 twist. RPM rate is to high. I have not given up yet. Might try a “stiffer” alloy. My goal for the M1 is something under 3moa consistently. Im looking for 10 ring accuracy of a SR target.

Have you tried any loads with hi tek coatings? That could be another option for these. Definitely going to give it a run once CMP fills my order.
I dont think the coating will help.
From one of the smartest gun guys I know he says what can happen with cast lead bullets is the faster they spin the more any inconsistencies will show. Also says as push then with higher pressure they can deform and this can be more of a problem with more jump and when the exit the muzzle the bullets with softer alloy will “pulse” he says all bullets do this.
Although add the higher rpms and any pulse or inclusions in your castings will destabilize the bullet.
He said this is what some people call “over” stabilization. Or how he says it
Tires are balanced and good for under 90mph but after that who knows.
He likes to toss this in
“Its all about frequency and modulation and sometimes just shit luck”
He also reminds me most of this shit has been figured out 100 years ago and says
“ I can tell more about what wont work than what will”
At one point he said. Want a M1 to shoot MOA with cast get a 1/18 twist barrel but thats not really going to help
As your probably going to need to push them faster than alloy likes, this is why they invented jacketed bullets.

Last edited:
I have some cast 06 already loaded up for the Ruger American and I want to say 19 gr of 2400 was in the 1700 FPS range. I’ll have to check when I get home. I was running those with just HiTek. No GC and no lube and there was no leading. But the gun has only seen 40 FMJ factory loads.

I have some cast 06 already loaded up for the Ruger American and I want to say 19 gr of 2400 was in the 1700 FPS range. I’ll have to check when I get home. I was running those with just HiTek. No GC and no lube and there was no leading. But the gun has only seen 40 FMJ factory loads.
Leading is not a issue for me ,
I cant not explain it nor can I find the article I like but tou can start here

Now since I dont have a choice in my barrel twists with my current rifles I have to work with what I have. So far out of 5 30 cal bullet choices I have trying to get 100% function AND accuracy from the M1 has been un successful.
1/10 twist you get to 1900-2000 fps and things just loosen up.
I can run plain base 130 gn bullets with 16 gn 2400 out of the M1 and get 2moa but its now a bolt gun

Last edited:
Guy I know has just over 1100lbs of pure not clean. He won't break it up and wants $1000. I'm not interested and he probably won't have it long. Can pm me if anyone is and I can put you in contact
Could be a good starting stash for someone with the cash.
What state of “not clean” is it in?
$1000 is a bit stiff for my blood

I just picked up 150lbs of WW for $1/lb and 30lbs of lino for $2/lb
The Captain over at cast bullets sells range scrap for something like 1.25/lb in clean ingots.

$0.35/lb savings to put the work and propane into cleaning it up is not enough savings for me and I'm cheap.

Great info here, thanks to all that has helped. I am almost ready to go, just need to get a setup for sizing after powder coating. I plan on using Lee punch and die but would love to see what guys are doing for the press? Would be nice to not have to buy a press just for that but maybe I'm wrong? I have the Dillion XL650 and if I disable the turret I think this will work well? Going to start out with 9mm and stick to that for a bit.

New propane pot do you think I should tac plates on 3 sides as heat shields
Maybe one of those smaller metal trash cans for a wind block, that way you block the flame and the pot.
I used one of those small lawn tractor dump trailers standing on end as a wind block for years. My dishwasher shit the bed. So I stripped it down to the stainless tub and use that now

Great info here, thanks to all that has helped. I am almost ready to go, just need to get a setup for sizing after powder coating. I plan on using Lee punch and die but would love to see what guys are doing for the press? Would be nice to not have to buy a press just for that but maybe I'm wrong? I have the Dillion XL650 and if I disable the turret I think this will work well? Going to start out with 9mm and stick to that for a bit.
Lee Breech lock is about $45
Lee APP is about $80 but is more versatile and less chance of pinching your fingers when going fast.

Any press will work

Back
Top Bottom