• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

Bullet Casting & Coating MegaThread

Ipswich post office returned my package after waiting 2 months for 55 grain projectiles. Due to a open package with scary regulated illegal to ship in ma. I recieved a informative email from them. I replied with a email not trying to poke the bear seeing that I like receiving my mail. Telling them that it is an unregulated component so for any issues that it may have caused thank you for your service so on hopefully this doesn't become a recurring thing with someone without proper understanding of there rules or even laws they say were broken.

Free Advice = hide - your - dog

;-)

Kind of want too send my self so stuffed flat rate boxes to see
i had a box of shot bust open and the PO said shipping hazardous material was a no no.
I asked for a list of USPS haz mat list and more specific the form it comes in.
The shipper sent me a replacement when they where contacted by USPS about their inadequate packaging. I got my lead, and future orders and still many years later have not received the hazmat list. Fun stuff.
Oh on a fun note. FedEx came by. It was a driver i have not seen in years. He delivered most of my Ammo, C&R and CMP shipments.
Last I seen him he was waiting on a garand of his own from cmp. 5 years ago or so. He asked me if I been getting stuff.
He said hes filling in for this area for a few weeks. I said well im waiting on 2 orders from cmp.
He laughed and said hes been delivering alot of cmp orders, ammo and such.

i had a box of shot bust open and the PO said shipping hazardous material was a no no.
I asked for a list of USPS haz mat list and more specific the form it comes in.
The shipper sent me a replacement when they where contacted by USPS about their inadequate packaging. I got my lead, and future orders and still many years later have not received the hazmat list. Fun stuff.
Oh on a fun note. FedEx came by. It was a driver i have not seen in years. He delivered most of my Ammo, C&R and CMP shipments.
Last I seen him he was waiting on a garand of his own from cmp. 5 years ago or so. He asked me if I been getting stuff.
He said hes filling in for this area for a few weeks. I said well im waiting on 2 orders from cmp.
He laughed and said hes been delivering alot of cmp orders, ammo and such.
Waiting to see pictures of your new arrivals. I sent my order in at the end of March so I have a while to wait.

I have much better luck with Hi-Tek in rifles... I shot my first 10 rounds of 303 Brit yesterday and I’m lead free. I’m going to start to remove the Alox and GC from the equation but it’s nice to have another check in the success box. I casted and coated those bullets last summer so I’m glad to finally be getting around to it.

I have much better luck with Hi-Tek in rifles... I shot my first 10 rounds of 303 Brit yesterday and I’m lead free. I’m going to start to remove the Alox and GC from the equation but it’s nice to have another check in the success box. I casted and coated those bullets last summer so I’m glad to finally be getting around to it.
Maybe that lead aged hardened and "grew" a little?
Glad it worked out. i have been very lucky in the leading department. Even my rough barrels dont lead much.

Waiting to see pictures of your new arrivals. I sent my order in at the end of March so I have a while to wait.
Where going back a few years, have not bought lead shot in a while.
Years back I also sent my lead wheel weights out to a guy who made shot from it. He would split the finish product. Was a good deal for a while.
Then I bought my own shot maker.

i have since asked USPS to site any regulations they have tried to come up with.
Last head butting contest was
Clerk " USPS does not ship firearms at all"
me " Its a pellet gun"
How we got there is another BS moment.
Anyhow after talking with the oldest person working that day and looking up the actual regs
The guy says, huh guess we do ship firearms.
I remind him a pellet gun is not a firearm.

Last edited:
Where going back a few years, have not bought lead shot in a while.
Years back I also sent my lead wheel weights out to a guy who made shot from it. He would split the finish product. Was a good deal for a while.
Then I bought my own shot maker.

i have since asked USPS to site any regulations they have tried to come up with.
Last head butting contest was
Clerk " USPS does not ship firearms at all"
me " Its a pellet gun"
How we got there is another BS moment.
Anyhow after talking with the oldest person working that day and looking up the actual regs
The guy says, huh guess we do ship firearms.
I remind him a pellet gun is not a firearm.
Your latest CMP arrivals.... I threw an order in at the tail end of March

I’ve had good luck with my mail folks.... they ask why I get so many heavy packages and I just smile. I try to meet them while they are unloading to help so they don’t have to work to hard.

Your latest CMP arrivals.... I threw an order in at the tail end of March
CMP orders
Jan order for 308 ammo came mid april
2/24 order for more ammo is still in limbo

Garand order hit 11 weeks before the dbu email last week. Another 4-6 weeks before delivery.

AFAIK CMP uses FedEx for everything. In that respect i had a FedEx Delivery from MidUsa. Box split open at some point there where bullets all loose , I took pictures, rejected the delivery , called midusa and CC company.
With in days i had a well packed replacement order from midway. The driver over the next few weeks says they have been picking up bullets all over the past few weeks. This was early covid 2020. Have not seen that driver since last fall? Kinda sucks that the drivers are always different these days.

Last edited:
The leading was a washing the last third of the barrel and I think they need more lube. I did slug the bore and it was .311 and I sized to .314 and tossed everything in Alox.

Old lead melter , goes with the old pot I got last year.
The pump feels like it still works.
Just need to clean it up and figure out how it works
Its. Bell Systems —-only thing written on it
View attachment 489585
How does it produce a flame? Wood? Fuel? It is really a cool looking device. Hope you get it running.

Little bucket review
1st I made a error, I had the scale display on the bucket when weighing it.
So I already lost 2+ oz !!!
The bucket un sorted.
View attachment 478738
The empty bucket 1lb 13ozView attachment 478739
As follows after sorting
COWW - 25lb 1.6iz
Trash/other - 15oz
Fe/Iron - 6lbs 10oz
Zn/zinc -15.25oz
SOWW - 1lb 8oz
Empty bucket - 1lb 13.25oz
I will smelt it down and give a report on that final out come later

there was probably a few onces of dirt/crud also

View: https://youtu.be/pvonlrTr8wg

Trying out the new wind block, my burner is on its last legs. Going to process the wheel weights from this little batch. Set the timer to see how long till full melt and poor 8CA2AD1B-01EB-426B-8B7C-003B96C52D81.jpeg 23 minutes from ignition to poor , not bad full melt was right around 15min
Burned 10oz of fuel
22lbs 8.50z finished product
Around 1 pound a minute?

so still potential for over 500lbs of lead processed on a 15lb tank.
You will more productive processing larger amounts. I could have most likely fit 50 plus pounds in this set up and it would have taken about the same time. Just wanted to get it done. Now I have no smelting to do until next spring.

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    872.3 KB · Views: 6
  • FF3386EE-8356-4765-92F8-73C3114F1B9F.jpeg
    FF3386EE-8356-4765-92F8-73C3114F1B9F.jpeg
    431.2 KB · Views: 5
  • EBE033C1-E9DF-4E25-9EFB-18C25D8F059F.jpeg
    EBE033C1-E9DF-4E25-9EFB-18C25D8F059F.jpeg
    674.9 KB · Views: 6
Last edited:
Trying out the new wind block, my burner is on its last legs. Going to process the wheel weights from this little batch. Set the timer to see how long till full melt and poorView attachment 49170623 minutes from ignition to poor , not bad full melt was right around 15min
Burned 10oz of fuel
22lbs 8.50z finished product
Around 1 pound a minute?

so still potential for over 500lbs of lead processed on a 15lb tank.
You will more productive processing larger amounts. I could have most likely fit 50 plus pounds in this set up and it would have taken about the same time. Just wanted to get it done. Now I have no smelting to do until next spring.
Love the wind break great idea will have to find one

Back
Top Bottom