Building my 10/22 *Paint is done! Pictures on page 2*

UPDATE: I had ordered a barrel at the end of March, just got the confirmation email it's been shipped today. Hopefully I'll have it by the middle or end of this week.

Time to order a stock and maybe a tuffer buffer, send out the trigger group for some work, and poly the factory stock for practice.

I ordered an 18", built in compensator, red/black marble anodized bull barrel from Whistle Pig Gun Barrel Co. and tonight, I installed it.

Ready to go:
barrel.jpg

First I put the receiver in a vice with 2 deer skin gloves for padding:
receiver.jpg

Then after a good bit of sanding with the supplied sand paper, and generous applications of lubricant, followed up with pushing like hell, she popped in good and snug:
receiverandbarrel.jpg

100_1794.jpg

100_1793.jpg

Lastly a shot of the compensator:
100_1791.jpg

(I tweaked the pictures with photobucket's editor since taking them inside at this time of night isn't the best lighting conditions.)

Last edited:
I don't NEED a compensator, but I like the look of it, and I didn't want to get a threaded barrel 'cause then I'd have to spend extra money on something that I don't really need, haha.

Here's the stock: Boyd's Blaster with the Applejack color scheme. Went with the unfinished version and got it online for $99 shipped.

Did some light sanding with 100 grit to smooth out a couple of rough areas, then a once over with 220 fine grit, masked off with tape, and then wiped down with a damp paper down to remove dust.
100_1820.jpg

Applied a coat of poly, let it dry for about 3 hours, then sanded lightly with 220, wiped off the dust and applied another coat. After each coat the dry time was a little longer.

Final product, 6 coats total:
100_1839.jpg

100_1840.jpg

I took a razor blade and cut along the edge of the masking tape before removing for a clean edge. The pictures don't do it justice, but it was a grey and cloudy day.

I decided to paint the scope before I reassemble everything, so no pictures of the rifle in one piece at this time.

Thanks for looking. [cheers]

Last edited:
I can't leave well enough alone, so I'm going to repaint the scope with some kind of tiger stripe/camo pattern. I figure some sort of model paint would work pretty well, but haven't gone shopping yet. I wasn't sure how well paint would stick, so I took it down to bare metal:
100_1844.jpg

My father suggested I just scuff the surface and that should suffice, so I did just that on the rest of the scope. If the paint doesn't adhere as well, I'll just take the whole thing down to bare metal.

I can't leave well enough alone, so I'm going to repaint the scope with some kind of tiger stripe/camo pattern. I figure some sort of model paint would work pretty well, but haven't gone shopping yet. I wasn't sure how well paint would stick, so I took it down to bare metal:
100_1844.jpg

My father suggested I just scuff the surface and that should suffice, so I did just that on the rest of the scope. If the paint doesn't adhere as well, I'll just take the whole thing down to bare metal.

Depending onb what you are going to spray on the scope, you could sand it with 400 wet/dry (use it dry) or 600 grit. That way you won't end up with any scratches in the finish.

[smile] Thanks guys! Going to get some paint for the scope this week, probably ordering a Mueller APV soon.

Rifle looks great! As far as the Mueller APV goes, it can't be beat for the money, hands down the best rimfire scope on the market for the price. Nothing comes close. I have one on one of my 10/22 and it's amazingly accurate. It also comes with a sunshade if you buy it on ebay. They are $115 shipped for black, $125 shipped for silver. I just purchased my 2nd APV for my other 10/22 I'm currently in the process of building.

Forgot to mention, you should look into Dednutz scope mounts for the 10/22 as well. The low mount they offer takes a Mueller APV about 1mm away from a bull barrel, the ideal position for an off hand gun.

Last edited:
Anyone got any ideas about how to paint a digi-cam style paint job????

Well when I painted the factory Ruger stock, I laid a primer, then a solid color base coat. I made some stencils out of card stock and taped them to the stock, I got a bit of over spray, so I cut some more card stock into curvy edged..blobs for lack of a better word. That allowed me to tape a few blobs down flush to the stock and create a random shape that I sprayed in with no over spray.

I would assume the same process could be used with a digital camo paint scheme, but cut the edges into square shapes, as opposed to curves and long sweeping lines.

You could also layer the whole thing and cut out the shapes you wanted for each color, but I think it would be painstaking and tedious, haha.

100_1844.jpg

Make sure you get paint for use on aluminum. You may wind up having to dust a light coat of etching primer on the scope since you have bare metal.

Either way I'd spray some adhesion promotor on the scope before laying down your base color. That will help the paint stick to any plastic surfaces.

These days there are several brands that offer adhesion and sealer/primer all in one shot.

Back
Top Bottom