Building my 10/22 *Paint is done! Pictures on page 2*

Building my 10/22 *New pictures page 7*

I picked up a 10/22 carbine and I couldn't resist doing a build with it. No specific goals, just a nice looking decent shooter that I can be proud to say "I built this!"

I've got a barrel on the way and I'll be ordering a stock, bolt buffer, bipod, and will be sending the trigger group out for some work by one of the fellas on rimfirecentral.

I'll update this thread as parts and progress come in, thanks for looking. [smile]

Factory configuration:

13L.jpg

I messed around with the factory stock and reshaped it a little in the grip area, repainted it in a camo pattern, and will be applying a few coats of poly in the near future. Added a Simmons 3-9x40 that was shipped with my Savage 111, and removed the barrel band.

Phase 2:

10-221.jpg

10-222.jpg

Comments and suggestions are welcome. [cheers]

** UPDATE! ** Whistle Pig barrel installed, pics on page 4.

** UPDATE! ** Boyd's Blaster sanded and poly'd on page 5. Started prepping scope for paint.

** UPDATE! ** Still no scope, but new pictures on page 5. 97% done, want to add a bipod, trigger job, and eventually a Mueller APV to replace this mediocre Simmons 3x9-40mm. [grin]

** UPDATE! ** Page 7, Mueller APV 4.5-14x40 AO and DNZ Game Reaper Low Matte 1 piece base arrived and installed. Better/more pictures to follow.

Last edited:
I started prepping the stock tonight for paint tomorrow. I picked up a couple of conical cutting bits to use in my Dad's Dremel, they didn't work quite as I planned, but did get me started.

I began by removing the receiver/barrel from the stock:

actionout.jpg

You can also see the Dremel with the sharp angle conical bit and a couple of pieces of wood I was practicing on, haha.

Then I thinned out the stock where my right hand grips as it was a little too beefy. I started with the sharply cone-shaped Dremel bit to make this cut:

firstcut.jpg

Once I got the rough shape, I sanded it by hand with 100 grit paper to even it out and I made a slight indent where my finger tips grip. Then I sanded another indent on the other side where the meaty part of my palm (just below my thumb) comes in contact with the stock. I also sanded all the way around the front to thin it out. It's not a huge change, but it's definitely more comfortable. I'm really happy with how it came out considering it's my first try at wood work. [laugh]

After that, I used an orbital sander with 100 grit paper to sand the whole stock in preparation to prime and paint it tomorrow.

readyforprimer.jpg

Sorry 'bout the low quality pictures, but all I've got at my Dad's house is my cell phone. [thinking]

I've also got cans of Krylon Ruddy Brown Primer, and Satin Italian Olive, Brown Boots, and Black. The plan is to lay either the brown or green as the base coat and then maybe make some rounded stencils to make a camo pattern.

After laying the colors, I've got a can of Minwax gloss Polyurethane that I'm going to apply. Why poly a camo'd rifle you may ask? Well as you probably remember from the OP, I'm ordering a Boyd's Blaster stock and want to finish it with a deep wet shine, so I want to practice with the poly on this one. It will also serve as a test to see if it will yield the depth of shine that I'm looking for.

That's it for now, stay tuned for paint and poly pictures!! [grin][wink]

Last edited:
Went to paint in the gnarly basement today!

First, Ruddy Brown Primer, 2 coats:

inprimer.jpg

Then I hit it with a coat of Satin "Italian Olive":

italianolive.jpg

After that I sanded it lightly with a piece of 220 grit to remove some foreign particulate that had settled on the stock, as well as to help with adhesion of the second coat.

Here are a couple of pictures of the modifications I made to the grip. They're more visible with the paint on it.

modification1.jpg

and
modification2.jpg

Thanks fellas!! [smile]

I'd suggest you give it a shot jay_chris, I've got pretty much zero wood working experience but I'm having a blast with this little project.

i took wood shop in 7th grade if that helps. [laugh]

i'm semi-crafty... so i'll closely monitor your project.

Thank you!!

I'm planning on going back up in the next couple of days to finish it. I'll definitely bring my camera and take some better pictures. They won't be in the nasty basement either [laugh]

Having done 5 or 6 of these builds, I've tried a bunch of the various parts. can't say I'm a big fan of the Vol TG, especially for the cost and what you get. My suggestion on that part...send your entire trigger assembly to TT Shooter, The end result is above what the VOl one is and for less than 1/2 the cost. All mine have been reworked by him except the Jard. All future ones will be either his rework except one that's to be a Kidd.
Have a Wp bbl and will get another. Thy're GREAT!

Having done 5 or 6 of these builds, I've tried a bunch of the various parts. can't say I'm a big fan of the Vol TG, especially for the cost and what you get. My suggestion on that part...send your entire trigger assembly to TT Shooter, The end result is above what the VOl one is and for less than 1/2 the cost. All mine have been reworked by him except the Jard. All future ones will be either his rework except one that's to be a Kidd.
Have a Wp bbl and will get another. Thy're GREAT!

Alright, thanks for the tip on the trigger group. What does TT Shooter do to them?

Alright, thanks for the tip on the trigger group. What does TT Shooter do to them?

http://www.ttshooter.com/1022triggerwork.html

Basically it's a complete rework of the trigger parts. I've always goen with his "precision" trigger job. It's like $90 now I think. Best darn $90 I've ever spent on a 10/22. Must've been - I sent a few more for him after that first one. ;)

Do a search on Rimfire Central and you'll see I'm not the only one that thinks so highly of his work.

I have seen his name come up, I think he's even got a sponsor banner at the top of the page at RimfireCentral. I'll check out that link, thanks!

*Update on work*
I started the camo painting tonight with some stencils I made from card stock...should have practiced on a piece of wood first, but I was too anxious to get started, haha.

I messed up by not taping the stencil to the stock, sprayed too much paint and then took the stencil off before the paint set...d'oh! [angry]

I taped the stencils and sprayed a light coat, then let it set, checked for coverage and sprayed again. THAT'S THE TICKET!! Had to sand the 2 areas I messed up, the paint created a crinkle effect so I took it down to primer and resprayed primer, then the olive. Tomorrow, armed with my new knowledge of stenciling, I'll finish up this side and then move to the other side. I'm hoping to get a coat of poly on, but I might have to wait till wednesday as I've got work from 5 to 10 tomorrow night.

1228082336.jpg

Last edited:
Painting is done! I'm rather pleased with the results. [grin]

I'm going to let it dry for 24 hours and put the receiver/barrel back in, take a few pictures, then disassemble it and prep it for poly.

I've also sprayed a slab of wood to test the poly on first to see if it's going to meet my desires before applying it to the stock and having to start all over again if it doesn't.

I'll try to get some pictures up over the next couple of days. Thanks!

Here are a few pictures of the rifle re-assembled, the painting is done and I'm going to give it a few days to dry before I start putting on the polyurethane.

100_1734.jpg

100_1737.jpg

100_1739.jpg

I think the stripes are my favorite part, haha.

Thanks for all the kind words and following along. [smile]

it looks good man.

i know i won't try this anytime soon as I don't have a "work area" in my apartment.

but definatley looks like something fun to do.

i have my factory stock and barrel, if you want to experiement with them, let me know.

[laugh]

i'll even pitch in for supplies and you can have at it.

Mounted the Simmons 3-9x40 from my Savage 111 on my 10/22, going to Nauset Rod & Gun tomorrow after class to sight it in. I'll post up some pictures when I'm done with work.

Back
Top Bottom