Building an AR15 pistol

What do you do about sights? Figure it might be a stupid question ...

It is a 7" AR15, I have no fantasies about rushing into battle with it and having an optic go down and needing rifle sights. I put a Primary Arms T1 knockoff on it.

Centurion

pistol_zps415ea1f7.jpg

I have a Spikes Tactical micro gas block that installs with 2 set screws. Do I need to have the barrel dimpled, or will it be ok if I just tighten them right down, and use some blue loctite or something???

I have a Spikes Tactical micro gas block that installs with 2 set screws. Do I need to have the barrel dimpled, or will it be ok if I just tighten them right down, and use some blue loctite or something???

The barrel may be dimpled already, my core was. I used some blue loctite on mine.

Pretty sure the heat of the barrel is going to burn up any loctite you put on there, unless you buy the special high temp versions.

Ok but if this Green Mountain barrel is not dimpled, will the set screws be OK as is, or should I get the barrel dimpled for the gas block?

Ok but if this Green Mountain barrel is not dimpled, will the set screws be OK as is, or should I get the barrel dimpled for the gas block?
I haven't had any problems with the set screws. They have a concave bottom which bites into the barrel. They hold pretty damn good. Spikes recommends dimpling. Easy enough to do by yourself. Get the gas block in place and tighten down the set screws. Take it off and use the marks left in the barrel as a guide for your drillbit. You only need to go down about 16th of an inch, probably less.

If you're going to do it, do it right the first time. Simple to do and fast. then you won't have any questions.

Last edited:
I don't have a drill press. I've never dimpled a barrel before, but it sounds easy enough.

I have the Rainier Arms Gas Block Barrel Dimpler. Makes dimpling the barrel damn near foolproof.

a67608f02db0f69e264434dd6abf5cb5.jpg

You're welcome to borrow it if you want.

I might take you up on it. Or maybe we could meet up, and you could help me out?? I don't need to do it right now. I still need to pick up a carbine gas tube, and many other parts.

This is what I have:

http://www.spikestactical.com/new/ss/upper-parts-spikes-micro-gas-block-750-p-466.html

My new barrel will be here today. Can't wait to check it out.

My stripped blem upper from Aero also shipped, but that won't be here until Tuesday.

One question. What is the hole for that is drilled all the way through by the barrel extension?
I've never seen that before.

Also, it is not dimpled by the gas port, so I'll have to do that at some point when I get the rest of the parts.

Barrel looks very well made. I'm happy so far.

One question. What is the hole for that is drilled all the way through by the barrel extension?
I've never seen that before.

Also, it is not dimpled by the gas port, so I'll have to do that at some point when I get the rest of the parts.

Barrel looks very well made. I'm happy so far
Looks like a hole for an extractor support pin. You don't have one. It's probably a leftover barrel extension from a contract run. Sig has them. Now the hole will just collect debris. [smile]

It's a small protrusion inside the barrel extension that supports the extractor body when the rifle is fired, relieving stress on the extractor pin should there be an over-pressure issue. Ie; something stuck in the bore. If the gun blew up the pin basically supports the weakest link.

Back
Top Bottom