• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

Building an AR15 pistol

I scored one of these last night in trade from another NES'r. I also bought an Irwin Vise from Home Depot.

http://www.midwayusa.com/product/730930/dpms-upper-receiver-action-block-ar-15-delrin

If your going to use the vise a lot. Keep the tighten screw in side the vise clean from grit and lube the wearing surfaces up. We wear there vises out in a few months at work.

It's like they don't harden the screw right. The threads wear off and/or one of the plates that is pressed against wears out. So when you losses the vise you have to pull it open by hand.

My blemished stripped upper just arrived from Aero Precision.

Damn, this thing looks brand new. I only paid $55 I think, like half price, and there is nothing wrong with it.

I'm very happy. I might order a bunch more of these for that price.

My blemished stripped upper just arrived from Aero Precision.

Damn, this thing looks brand new. I only paid $55 I think, like half price, and there is nothing wrong with it.

I'm very happy. I might order a bunch more of these for that price.

Finding that a lot with supposed 'blemished' parts. It's not up to their standards (for some reason) but it's difficult (if not impossible) for us to see the blems.

BCM has their 'demo' uppers in stock for a decent rate too. Those ship with the parts to finish them (arrive stripped). Not a bad deal at ~$75 each (considering you'll pay $20-$25 for the parts otherwise).

I looked at both, and what turned me off to the Samson was the size. That's a big rail, like just over 1.56" ID. The MI is almost a quarter of an inch narrower ID.

Doesn't sound like much, but it's definitely noticeable.

I am looking at the Samson rail tube for my 300BLK upper that is in the works. A friend of mine has one and raves about it.

Yeah I just noticed the Samson is like 9.5oz, and the Midwest is only 8.5oz.

I like the looks of that MI rail. I think I'll go with that one.

I just need to pick out a muzzle device. I might just throw on an A2 flash hider. I have some of those kicking around.

Last edited:
Yeah I just noticed the Samson is like 9.5oz, and the Midwest is only 8.5oz.

I like the looks of that MI rail. I think I'll go with that one.

I just need to pick out a muzzle device. I might just throw on an A2 flash hider. I have some of those kicking around.

Your in nh you can say flash hider :).

I say mi , I love the one I got for my piston build.

Last edited:
Your in nh you can say flash hider :).

I say mi , I love the one I got for my piston build.

I want to put volume enhancers on my AR's... Make them louder for those not shooting them. [rofl2] Since we don't have to pin/weld our barrels, I can simply swap things around at will. I actually have a muzzle device coming that should make my 5.56 AR louder.

I want to put volume enhancers on my AR's... Make them louder for those not shooting them. [rofl2] Since we don't have to pin/weld our barrels, I can simply swap things around at will. I actually have a muzzle device coming that should make my 5.56 AR louder.

Loudener.

Last edited by a moderator:

I've thought about getting one of them for some time.

ugh. all this pistol talk makes me want to take a walk out back this evening and try to get some fireball pictures.

Oh I didn't think of that.

You just asked them if they had crush washers?

No I looked at the little draws lol .
Found the 5 with crush washers and found one the right size.
I figure you don't want to walk In there with the barrel in tow. But if you know the thread size Find the bolt with the same threads in the other draws . Use it to see if your getting the right size washer. Put washer in bag write part number and price on bag . Put bolt back.
My store had a few with the same id but different od'd

I've brought a intake mani in to the store before to make sure I got all the right hardware rebuilding a motor lol .

If my street gets plowed early enough (rx8 mind you) I'll go to the hardware store and pick a few up. Figure al forgot to get one for his build and you sent me the detents so I owe you .
Then again my town sucks at plowing so I might get there today and I'll be working to late the rest of the week.

Got my new YHM lo pro gas block today.

I thought I had one from Spike's but I can't find it. [rolleyes]

This one is tight. Almost got it stuck on the barrel. [laugh]

Anyone here use a Samson rail before???

They're based right in Keene, NH, and I'm thinking about getting one of their 9" Evolution rails.

http://www.samson-mfg.com/ar-15_html/product/Evo-10.html

I ordered a Samson rail for my pistol build (10" on an 11.5" barrel). It looks purdy. Unfortunately it is not on the gun yet since I have yet to assemble the upper. I need a torque wrench and my friend who has one is slacking and keeps forgetting to bring it.

Also I started assembling the LPK I got and man what a ****ing bitch that is. It took me and a friend two hours to get the mag release and bolt catch on his and my lower. This is both our first time assembling a lower and no we didn't use any special tools, just standard punches. It also took longer cause we lost a roll pin for about 20 minutes before it was found.

I am seriously dreading installing the pivot pin.

Back
Top Bottom