• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

How to Remove an Older Handguard

FPrice

Retired Zoomie
NES Life Member
NES Member
I want to remove the handguard on my Windham upper, mainly to replace it with a more modern, useful, and quite frankly lighter handguard. But I am not sure ow to proceed.

I am starting with the assumption that I will have to remove the gasblock so I've included a closeup of it.

Next, how do I remove the handguard. Does it just unscrew?

Any help gladly appreciated.

IMG_1258.JPG IMG_1259.JPG IMG_1260.JPG

that middle pic...looks like the handguard might slide over the gas block, no?
It might, but IIRC Windham might have put dimples where the gas block screws go thus making it easy to reinstall.

@FPrice - That tube might unscrew but look for a set screw that would have to be removed first. If there was any lock-tite used some mild heat (like hair dryer level) would help. I think it does unscrew from that knurled 'nut' that mates with the upper receiver threads. Might be worth getting some cheap strap wrenches from Harbor Freight etc. to do the job.

69373_W3.jpg

not sure if you already figured this one out
the barrel nut probably has holes through it for the gas tube, like this google photo for reference . The handguard itself is likely threaded onto the barrel nut. When you try to unscrew the handguard pay attention to the barrel nut, you may have to hold it in place to prevent it from turning and contacting and possibly bending the gas tube. If you don't plan on reusing it, I would just go at it with a pipe wrench or large slip joint pliers

Update: This project is on hold.

Before I put tool to upper I happened to find someone who was looking for this style of handguard. Made contact and offered to sell them the entire upper which they accepted. So this takes one project off the table and gives me some freedom to do some other things.

Update: This project is on hold.

Before I put tool to upper I happened to find someone who was looking for this style of handguard. Made contact and offered to sell them the entire upper which they accepted. So this takes one project off the table and gives me some freedom to do some other things.
I have done this a handful of times with AR uppers. Sell it or trade it and get what you want.

Back
Top Bottom