Building an AR15 pistol

Something to keep in mind [soloman02]. With the standard buffer tube you used (as it sits), it's not 100% an "AR pistol". From what I've read (and such) IF it can accept a buttstock, it's not a pistol. Since it would be very simple/easy to just slip a stock onto that tube, the .gov would probably classify it as a SBR.

Something to keep in mind [soloman02]. With the standard buffer tube you used (as it sits), it's not 100% an "AR pistol". From what I've read (and such) IF it can accept a buttstock, it's not a pistol. Since it would be very simple/easy to just slip a stock onto that tube, the .gov would probably classify it as a SBR.

Even the wrapped/glued paracord may not hold up. Just get a receiver extension tube for the pistol config and be done with it.

Don't want to win an all-expense-paid-for trip to Club Fed. [wink]

Even the wrapped/glued paracord may not hold up. Just get a receiver extension tube for the pistol config and be done with it.

Don't want to win an all-expense-paid-for trip to Club Fed. [wink]

The ATF disagrees with you guys:

(Found on AR-15.com)

BB.JPG

(Found on AR-15.com)

BB.JPG

That last full paragraph would give me a bit of concern. Unless you've already submitted to get the NFA stamp for a SBR. Personally, I'd rather not have a grey area at this point. If it ever gets to SHTF, then I won't care and will mate any upper to any lower I want.

Here's my AR pistol in 300 Blackout, after re-anodizing the lower last night. I decided that I wanted to give it some color. Since I only have black mixed up, I went with that. IMO, came out pretty good for a home setup.

300_Blackout_pistol_completed_final_4posting.jpg

The paracord on the buffer tube (a pistol buffer tube) is instead of foam. The tube I got didn't come with any foam. I tried some other foam on it but didn't like it. After seeing what Neil did on his, I decided to do it on mine. With the tube being the dimension it is, I had to remove the core from the paracord in order to get the charging handle to clear.

(Found on AR-15.com)

"Possessing a rifle buttstock..."

Do you have one or more AR-15 rifles/carbines? [wink]

That's the paragraph/sentence that screams "Club Fed" if you ask me. I guess if one doesn't have an AR-15 rifle/carbine with a buttstock then they're OK. But I'm sort of assuming that if someone has an AR-15 pistol, they're probably have one or more AR-15 rifles/carbines.

"Possessing a rifle buttstock..."

Do you have one or more AR-15 rifles/carbines? [wink]

That's the paragraph/sentence that screams "Club Fed" if you ask me. I guess if one doesn't have an AR-15 rifle/carbine with a buttstock then they're OK. But I'm sort of assuming that if someone has an AR-15 pistol, they're probably have one or more AR-15 rifles/carbines.

Read up on the contender rifle/pistol.
The ruling on that makes it pretty clear what's legal etc. They have links to all the info on there site.

I have one of these that I am not using, I decided I wanted a Phase 5 tube. I will send it out to someone who needs it, tube, foam, and slide on block with sling loop.

http://www.midwayusa.com/product/61...uffer-tube-assembly-ar-15-lr-308-pistol-black

If you're just giving it away, I'll take it... [rofl2] I had planned on making a second AR pistol lower, so I can run both at the same time.

- - - Updated - - -

120 flawless rounds out of my pistol today.

That YHM Phantom is epic on this thing. [rofl]

The loudness and flash is just awesome.

WINNING!!! [rofl2]

I have one of these that I am not using, I decided I wanted a Phase 5 tube. I will send it out to someone who needs it, tube, foam, and slide on block with sling loop. http://www.midwayusa.com/product/616773/ace-improved-pistol-receiver-extension-buffer-tube-assembly-ar-15-lr-308-pistol-black
Want to trade? I have the Phase 5 tube. I'll throw in the Magpul ASAP with my tube to give you an attachment point.

EDIT: My pistol and I love the Rainier XTC. I saw a vast improvement with recoil and muzzle rise comparing my YHM A2 birdcage and the XTC. Although, the pressure of the round to the sides and behind the brake is incredible. The fireball and pressure from the XTC remind me a lot of my T53.

Last edited:
Want to trade? I have the Phase 5 tube. I'll throw in the Magpul ASAP with my tube to give you an attachment point.

EDIT: My pistol and I love the Rainier XTC. I saw a vast improvement with recoil and muzzle rise comparing my YHM A2 birdcage and the XTC. Although, the pressure of the round to the sides and behind the brake is incredible. The fireball and pressure from the XTC remind me a lot of my T53.

I already ordered the Phase 5, thanks though. We should all get together again and do a pistol fireball shoot, I will have the gf bring her fancy pants camera. [mg]

We need an actual AR pistol picture thread. For freedom.

I ordered one of the Umbrella Corp pistol grips for my pistol to see if I like it and a sling mount. Also, I waiting for a Surefire 60 rounder to come in from a friend, once I change out the parts and insert the 60, I will snap some new pics. [smile]

I don't know, to me they still look like SBRs and I don't see the point. [thinking] I think what ruins an AR pistol for me is the buffer tube. Put a small flat chunk of aluminum on the end and its back to a rifle.

The one shown in post #41 is ok but this on the other hand looks right:

pds_pistol_left_6_23_10-tfb.jpg

Last edited:
I don't know, to me they still look like SBRs and I don't see the point. [thinking] I think what ruins an AR pistol for me is the buffer tube. Put a small flat chunk of aluminum on the end and its back to a rifle.

The one shown in post #41 is ok but this on the other hand looks right:

I know what you mean, and I agree. I could see myself with a dedicated 22lr AR pistol, just for a range toy. No buffer needed, just cap the threads in the lower.

Back
Top Bottom