• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

Building an AR15 pistol

I have a special tool for the pivot pin detent.

I just use a hammer and vise grips.

I have spare parts so when detents go flying I don't have to look for them.

I ordered a Samson rail for my pistol build (10" on an 11.5" barrel). It looks purdy. Unfortunately it is not on the gun yet since I have yet to assemble the upper. I need a torque wrench and my friend who has one is slacking and keeps forgetting to bring it.

Also I started assembling the LPK I got and man what a ****ing bitch that is. It took me and a friend two hours to get the mag release and bolt catch on his and my lower. This is both our first time assembling a lower and no we didn't use any special tools, just standard punches. It also took longer cause we lost a roll pin for about 20 minutes before it was found.

I am seriously dreading installing the pivot pin.

Go to the hardware store and buy a 1/4" clevis pin. Should cost less than a buck.

Then Read this.

It's easy-peezy.

I have a special tool for the pivot pin detent.

I just use a hammer and vise grips.

I have spare parts so when detents go flying I don't have to look for them.

Needle nose pliers help hold the pin in position while you walk it in with vise grips.

To find a flung pin, a bright flashlight and/or strong magnet are good tools to use. Same for if a detent gets airborne.

Go to the hardware store and buy a 1/4" clevis pin. Should cost less than a buck.

Then Read this.

It's easy-peezy.

OK that looks easier.

I will say installing the lag release was easy. So easy it was misleading on how much of the bitch the bolt release was. [laugh]

I should mention, my friend and I didn't use a vice. One person held the lower while the other installed the part.

I assembled an AR start to finish recently, including clearing my workspace, getting all the parts out, assembly, and putting crap away... in about 3 hours. And this one went together the easiest of any I've done before.

The more builds you do the easier it gets.

I may have an addiction.

I'll still need to get the barrel dimpled. I don't trust the gas block not to move around. It is def very tight fitting on the barrel, but I'd feel better if it was dimpled.

Also, since I'm going with just a flash hider for now, I was thinking of getting the 10" rail. It would cover up the whole barrel, and the first "knuckle" just passed the crush washer (for lack of better word) on the flash hider. But not the ports on the flash hider. Would that be OK? Or should I just get the 9" rail?

I'll still need to get the barrel dimpled. I don't trust the gas block not to move around. It is def very tight fitting on the barrel, but I'd feel better if it was dimpled.

I used a jig before, but if you're confident in the placement of the gas block you can use that to mark the barrel for dimples, and drill dimples yourself easily enough.

However, if you're planning on paying anybody to do that work, just pay to get the gas block pinned instead.

A flash hider is about 1.5" long, and my YHM Phantoms are 2 1/4" long. So I think I'll just buy another Phantom, that way I can use the 10" rail.

Sorry, I'm just talking aloud. [laugh]

Then Read this.

It's easy-peezy.

Needle nose pliers help hold the pin in position while you walk it in with vise grips.

To find a flung pin, a bright flashlight and/or strong magnet are good tools to use. Same for if a detent gets airborne.

OK that looks easier.

I will say installing the lag release was easy. So easy it was misleading on how much of the bitch the bolt release was. [laugh]

I should mention, my friend and I didn't use a vice. One person held the lower while the other installed the part.

Razor blade method works every time.

You guys shoot yours from the shoulder, or do you use cheek weld method?? Or both?

I can see shooting it from my shoulder, you definitely need to scrunch up to shoot it.

It's not shoot able yet, just holding it in my basement, and foundling it.

You guys shoot yours from the shoulder, or do you use cheek weld method?? Or both?

I can see shooting it from my shoulder, you definitely need to scrunch up to shoot it.

It's not shoot able yet, just holding it in my basement, and foundling it.

Cheek weld for mine. Easier for me than trying to get my shoulder up that high, and get sighted through the dot. With the paracord wrap, you should have zero issue with just the cheek weld.

I also think I might cave to my master, and do an SBR with this. [thinking] [laugh]

I hate the idea of 'registering' something, but I really want an SBR now.

I know NOTHING about it though, so I have a lot of homework to do. I'd like a can on it too.

Get one of these. Sigtac Stabilizing Brace For Ar Pstl by Sig Sauer http://www.amazon.com/dp/B00CPABW28/ref=cm_sw_r_udp_awd_W9tTsb0124C4C. I am building a pistol here in Washington State since SBR 's are verboten. I can put my 7.5 inch Adams Arms upper on it. I'll post pics when I get the build done after Christmas.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-N900A using Tapatalk

Why not just a bungie cord style single point sling and aim it like a pistol ?

Not as easy as you might think. Well, depending on the barrel length I suppose. IF you get your buttocks up here you can see for yourself. [rofl2] Oh, and I have one of the bungee single point slings for my AR pistol (or any of my AR type firearms). [smile]

Tried getting out tonight to test my newly built pistol, but it was dark by the time I got to the range.

Will do it tomorrow.

So you built it already? So I guess I can't make you jealous? Damn. [laugh]

Anyway, here is a pic of mine. Thanks to thehoyt for providing the vice and assistance with assembly.

It is wicked light. It is actually lighter than thehoyts 7.5inch pistol due to the Samson rail being so light. 10" rail on an 11.5 inch barrel.

Gonna shoot it tomorrow since it was also too dark to shoot it.

attachment.php

IMG_3235_0.jpg

ETA: Parts list:

Upper:
Daniel Defense 11.5" Barrel 5.56 1-7 twist CL ($80 off, BF deals FTW!)
BCM Blem upper w/ FA and dust cover
AIM Surplus BCG
Samson Evolution 10" rail
BCM Mod 4 Charging Handle
YHM 5C2 FLash Hider
Magpul Gen2 BUIS (front and back)
Samson QD mount

Lower:
Matrix Lower, Engraved with "Live Free or Die"
PSA LPK ($40)
Mil spec Buffer tube
Noveske QD end plate

Total price? $1036

I'll probably get a failzero (or other brand nickle boron) BCG at some point cause I hear pistols get wicked dirty.

Last edited:
Nice.

Here's mine.

10.5" Green Mountain Barrel 5.56 1:7 CL
Midwest Industries 10" Gen2 SS Rail
DGW Lower
American Weapon Systems LPK
Aero Precision Blem Stripped Upper
BCM 'training only' mod4 charging handle
Windham Weaponry M16 BCG
Mil spec 6 position buffer tube wrapped in paracord
MOE+ Grip
YHM Phantom Brake

No optic yet. Will have to wait until after the first of the year at some point. I will shoot a few rounds tomorrow just to function check it.

Thanks to ScottS for helping me out, dimpling my barrel, and shooting the shit with me for a few hours. Great guy.

Exactly... Might be an 'ok' idea for some, but the level of ghey is staggering. Plus the way it works is a WTF event (you strap it to your arm, hard).

I didn't say to use it as an arm brace. I have suspect I may use it wrong all the time because I won't read the instructions. ;-)

If I showed you a picture of a "pistol" with that stock from 10 feet away and you didn't know what you were looking for, you'd think it wasn't what it is.

I would be interested to see how rigid it actually is.

It is rigid enough up around the tube and a little flexy at the bottom where the two halves come together but if you just tighten the velcro strap it is pretty solid. I'll post pictures after Christmas of my build.

I didn't say to use it as an arm brace. I have suspect I may use it wrong all the time because I won't read the instructions. ;-)

If I showed you a picture of a "pistol" with that stock from 10 feet away and you didn't know what you were looking for, you'd think it wasn't what it is.

Meh... The price point on it is too high too. [laugh]

I'm actually anodizing my pistol lower again tonight. Decided to add dye to it this time (black of course). Once it's done, and back together, I'll post a new picture. I'll also try to put up a parts list (if I can remember it all)... [laugh]

I am looking at the Samson rail tube for my 300BLK upper that is in the works. A friend of mine has one and raves about it.
LOVE Samson rails. Worth every penny.. I have two. Easy as shit to install and weighs nothing. They make a 7.6" rail that works perfect for 8.5" pistol length barrels.

Last edited:
So you built it already? So I guess I can't make you jealous? Damn. [laugh]

Anyway, here is a pic of mine. Thanks to thehoyt for providing the vice and assistance with assembly.

It is wicked light. It is actually lighter than thehoyts 7.5inch pistol due to the Samson rail being so light. 10" rail on an 11.5 inch barrel.

Gonna shoot it tomorrow since it was also too dark to shoot it.

attachment.php

View attachment 88734

ETA: Parts list:

Upper:
Daniel Defense 11.5" Barrel 5.56 1-7 twist CL ($80 off, BF deals FTW!)
BCM Blem upper w/ FA and dust cover
AIM Surplus BCG
Samson Evolution 10" rail
BCM Mod 4 Charging Handle
YHM 5C2 FLash Hider
Magpul Gen2 BUIS (front and back)
Samson QD mount

Lower:
Matrix Lower, Engraved with "Live Free or Die"
PSA LPK ($40)
Mil spec Buffer tube
Noveske QD end plate

Total price? $1036

I'll probably get a failzero (or other brand nickle boron) BCG at some point cause I hear pistols get wicked dirty.

I forgot to mention that the PSA LPK trigger is very nice to my untrained finger. It seems smooth and breaks crisp. No sanding done on my part. It actually feels better than the single stage RRA in my first AR. Which is good news since I waited a month to get it.

Back
Top Bottom