Bug out Rifle

Not too sure I agree with those that want a combat rifle in their BOB to get 60 miles back home from work (handgun sure).

After NOLA I read about a couple trying to leave on the ~3rd day. IIRC, they had a loft in a warehouse area off the beaten track. They decided it was time to go and were loading up his truck. When they came down to go they found armed thugs waiting for them, likely for the keys & who knows what else. The guy had an AKM-type rifle with him; the thugs saw it and bolted. The couple was then able to leave.

That story stuck with me on the combat rifle scenario.

4. For all the Rambos out there – the Golden Horde ain’t walking to Sudbury after EMP. So do not sweat it. Few in the inner cities have cars, and even fewer can organize a convoy needed to successfully storm most wealthy suburbs. And rest assured 100,000 people are not walking 50 miles to storm your home for can of beans.[wink] That is why to surprise of many, LA riots didn’t spread to wealthy suburbs. These people will kill and burn each other and anything within a few hours walk, but they are not going to go on a multi-week death march just to see you. [grin] This is not to say that a car or two full of thugs might not break into your home… and you indeed could be in a firefight of your life, but do not expect angry crowds.

The LA riots didnt extend to the wealthy suburbs because it was contained by the LAPD and the NG. Same with the wealthier areas of NOLA. Those folks rioting and looting also werent starving.

Look at what has happened in other countries following or during any conflict. People will be fleeing the area if the Boston metro area went up. You could have several hundred thousand ordinary people on the road heading north within a few days.

I am not worried about the thugs etc. They make up a small percentage of the population and will probably be more interested in stealing from other refugees. I am worried about the guys with starving families that are willing to do anything to feed their kids.

If you bug out and dont have a place to go you are a refugee and nothing more. You might be better prepped but it might gain you another week or two on the masses. And that assumes they dont take all your stuff. What do you do once your food runs out and there arent anymore squirrels around?

Bugging out should be something done as a last resort. Your odds of survival are going to decrease dramatically once you are on the road.

Are you saying that you can't do a 20 minute mile on a flat paved road with 20 pounds on your back? Hell I can almost do a 20 minute mile up Mt Watatic...well OK not now but last year I could :) Given the choice between winter or summer I would take winter...the heat really does me in.

I don't think a 3MPH pace is even close to possible thru the woods. Theres no need to go offroad 10 hours after an EMP attack, people will still be figuring out what the hell just happened. IMO back roads will still be safe.

I am listening, thats why i'm here, what are your thoughts?

30 miles a day. In winter. With a pack. After TSHTF. RIIIIIGGGGHHHHHT. I suggest you practice that a little, or are you too busy/not have enough money to do that either?

You realize the guys you're debating this with. (Not me) have actually BEEN where the SHTF? Id do less talking and more listening but that's just me.

Are you saying that you can't do a 20 minute mile on a flat paved road with 20 pounds on your back? Hell I can almost do a 20 minute mile up Mt Watatic...well OK not now but last year I could :) Given the choice between winter or summer I would take winter...the heat really does me in.

I don't think a 3MPH pace is even close to possible thru the woods. Theres no need to go offroad 10 hours after an EMP attack, people will still be figuring out what the hell just happened. IMO back roads will still be safe.

I am listening, thats why i'm here, what are your thoughts?

Of course I could do a 20 min mile as you describe. I run 3 miles a day. Could I maintain that pace for 30 miles in winter, sleeping out in the cold and then get up the next day and do it again? I dunno. I do know in that situation I sure as shite wouldn't COUNT on my ability to do so. Physical capability aside, there's a lot of stuff that can happen to slow you down.

I'd rather have 300-400 rounds of 5.56 with my AR than anything in .22LR, any day of the week and twice on sundays.

I don't own a rifle chambered in .22LR anyways, so that kinda simplifies the selection, too. [laugh] Even if I did have a .22 I wouldn't be bringing it with me.

-Mike

I'd love to see someone hike ten hours across New England in the winter for their first hiking trip.

Most Americans (and I don't mean this to reflect on NES in any way) couldn't hike 30 minutes in a New England winter.

I don't own a rifle chambered in .22LR anyways, so that kinda simplifies the selection, too. [laugh] Even if I did have a .22 I wouldn't be bringing it with me.

I have one but it sits in the back of the safe, which says something.

I should use it more often though.

okay I'll join in,

If I can get to me stuff, It an AR , iron sights, and my sp101 as a back-up. If I have a a battle buddy, he's got the mossberg 500 and a firestar 9mm as back-up. We can round up ammo of the zombies as we go. 210 rounds for the AR and 50 for the 12.

As seriously, if you even think about this stuff, you should get out there and ruck once in a while. I see plenty of guys with all the hardware that wouldn't make it for a day. I spent a bit of time in the sandbox over there. Ask infantry in the Stan, PT brother. you can't shoot move and communicate if you are having a heart attack.

If I can get to me stuff, It an AR , iron sights, and my sp101 as a back-up. If I have a a battle buddy, he's got the mossberg 500 and a firestar 9mm as back-up. We can round up ammo of the zombies as we go. 210 rounds for the AR and 50 for the 12.

As seriously, if you even think about this stuff, you should get out there and ruck once in a while. I see plenty of guys with all the hardware that wouldn't make it for a day. I spent a bit of time in the sandbox over there. Ask infantry in the Stan, PT brother. you can't shoot move and communicate if you are having a heart attack.

RedPocketRifle1.jpg

this, my x-box and a power supply is all i need. i play COD4 so i know everything you do. what's your game tag? [rofl]

Gotta get back to training. I did a 5K walk in October in 55minutes w/o gear.
500rds of 5.56 in mags is going to add considerable weight.

80% of today's Americans aren't making a mile.

I'm buggin' in, gonna get together with the neighbors and start building a water plant then a power plant. First one post apocalypse to get hot running water wins.

You have a lot of faith in your fellow human beings. It took less than 24 hours for rampant looting and violence to hit NOLA.

Hell, look how bad it was getting with some when that water main broke near Boston this past spring. Fights were breaking out in stores over cases of bottled water within a day. They weren't even without water, they just had a boil water order that's it. Also, the stores that were running out of the bottled stuff in that area were only about a 20 min. drive (if that) from other stores (BJ's, Wallyworld, etc) that were still very well stocked with it. People are PHUK'D!!

RE: Derek,
1. Many sudden cataclysmic scenarios, may not permit return to AO. Many may require immediate evacuation as fast and as far as possible. So whether you work from home, 60miles away or on vacation across the country – in such case, we all will be forced to play the hand we were dealt.

2. Agree, but I was pointing out that MA guys cannot even own it.

3. Indeed.

4. Assuming the comic type of EMP, which every prepper seems to envision, vast majority of the population will not go anywhere until they are dying of dehydration. By the time they realize they must move, it’s too late because they are not going to make it. Going on a 40-50 mile hike tonight, already partly dehydrated, is simply a suicide mission. Guys do not confuse recreational hiking with SHTF exodus. i) It will be very difficult, if not impossible to organize a cohesive team ready and able to successfully attack. Thus it will be various small groups attacking, but also fighting with each other and within each group every time they find or steal resources. ii) It’s not like your home is their end goal. Every home on the way is a potential target. Invading homes without spending days, if not weeks, on prior surveillance, is very very dangerous. Every invasion is an opportunity to get shot, stabbed, clubbed, etc., - without even knowing if they are attacking the original owners or another pillaging group. It also takes enormous amount of energy and fluids. Worse yet, there is zero guarantee that any given attack will yield any food or water. Judging by my friends and family, most of those homes will be empty of any consumables by the time Golden Horde begins their invasion. They most likely will feel similar to Napoleon during Russian scorched earth invasion. iii) Dehydration should not be underestimated. Losing 2-3 quarts equals 25% reduction in physical and mental abilities. Do not forget widespread outbreak of dysentery, which will not only substantially slow them down, but more importantly will be instrumental in huge losses of fluids leading to further dehydration. I do not expect them to die within a week of “exodus”, but their progress will be extremely slow with huge losses along the way. A 50 mile journey will not be measured in days, but in months. And those that make it won’t be invaders, but scavenger opportunists.

5. There is a prepper on the YT who can’t stop yapping about his wonderful 308 and how a fat guy with donuts and ammo can secure a road from charges made by Hells Angels and various well organized thugs riding in armored vehicles by sniping at the attackers from a fixed position 500-600 yards away. This goofball is gaining popularity despite being cut in numerous lies, including the claim of illustrating 500 yard shots while in reality shooting at a gun club with maximum range of 200 yards. Reading some of the earlier posts I got a feeling I might be reading posts by some of his loyal supporters. So my joke was aimed at them.

6. I meant that BO and seating at night next to a fire in tiny NE forest/park = death via bullet to the back of the head. Surviving winter nights without fire seems nearly insurmountable. I like ice fishing and have some great gear, but I have a tough time imagining hiding a few cold winter nights in the woods without fire. Thus I was wondering how all these post-apocalyptic “campers” plan to keep warm.

I would not say I “have it all figured out,” not by a long shot. Yet, I am not utterly incompetent on the subject matter. I have lived through some heavy shit that some board members could not imagine in their worst nightmare. I also was fortunate enough to study and speak with many WWII survivors – Russian, German and American. Some of these guys were Soviet partisans. Among other things, I’ve hiked Belarusian and Ukrainian forests and seen partisan installations. So hopefully some of my jokes and viewpoints help or at least entertain.

RE: coastie
1. In LA, troops did not arrive until well over 60 hours later and strong enough numbers did not show until the end of the fourth day. LAPD could not stop anything and is the reason they completely evacuated all rioting areas.

2. “I am worried about the guys with starving families that are willing to do anything to feed their kids.” You got it. In the comic type of EMP scenario, this will be the biggest issue. Most people, including me, do not have a clear cut plan for such potential eventuality. Many refuse to acknowledge even the possibility that it will be your neighbors and not some thugs who’ll come to cut your throat. However, here too, reality check suggests that most refugees will be scavenger opportunists. Direction of the movement is also less predictable. Do people in Wayland go to Sudbury or Sudbury people go to Wayland? After all neither have food or water. Small farms will be likely targets, but most other residential targets will be chosen based on multitude of factors driven by SHTF scenario circumstances.

I have been looking at these also for a hidden truck gun/bugout gun. They get a pretty decent write up in most articles I have read,handling them they seem to have decent build quality and collapse pretty small,but, retain the ability to be fired collapsed(for the "c" variant) and take ARmags. With a small camelback or DAP Pack from Blue Force gear a low power varible with BDC such as Leatherwood CMR , you could put together a nice little BUGOUT kit. Finding them and at a decent price is the hard part.

There's a great vid on youtube on it by (I think) nutnfancy that's well worth looking at.

Most Americans (and I don't mean this to reflect on NES in any way) couldn't hike 30 minutes in a New England winter.

Hell, a ten hour hike during optimal conditions can ensure you won't be doing the same thing tomorrow.

I hiked over 80 miles when I was 15 in two weeks in the mountains of northern New Mexico. We averaged 4 miles a day.

This. I work 30 miles away from my family. Most of the week I am on the road, at work, or on the way home, my first goal would be to get home to the family or die trying, and I'd prefer not to die trying. I have a pack in my car with basics, but I don't have a rifle with me...yet. In a SHTF scenario I am bugging in at home unless whatever is happening makes that impossible.

1.) So I assume you work from home and never leave your secure area? I work 60 miles from my A.O., I need a bag that will allow me to get back to my A.O. if the SHTF any time during the 60 hours a week I'm at work and not in my A.O. This requires a AR and plenty of ammo.

Smaller calibers can't kill people?

Of course not. Don't you watch the news specials? 5.56 is a totally ineffective round when used by our troops. Of course it becomes a deadly, high-powered man killer when it's in civilian hands.

Of course not. Don't you watch the news specials? 5.56 is a totally ineffective round when used by our troops. Of course it becomes a deadly, high-powered man killer when it's in civilian hands.

LOL [laugh] That's funny.

I really really hate to say it, but there is some margin of truth to it. 5.56 out of 16” barrel is absolutely devastating up to about 150m. Beyond that distance its effectiveness begins to quickly diminish. And many hits at 400-600m are survivable – some with little ill effect. Afgan terrain often requires long shots = complaining army. Inner-city firefights usually occur at a short distance = dead civilians.

Hi All, My first post on this part of the forum. I do have a question dealing with a BO rifle. I bought a new S&W 15-22 a few weeks back. Nice rifle. If I see that things are starting to go south, what AR should I get, if I have the time, and how much ammo? I am planning on staying put, as my SO has MS and cannot walk. I am starting to pick up supplies, but we do not have much space to store. Thanks for any advice.

Hi All, My first post on this part of the forum. I do have a question dealing with a BO rifle. I bought a new S&W 15-22 a few weeks back. Nice rifle. If I see that things are starting to go south, what AR should I get, if I have the time, and how much ammo? I am planning on staying put, as my SO has MS and cannot walk. I am starting to pick up supplies, but we do not have much space to store. Thanks for any advice.

For great advice for a beginning prepper / survivalist, check out this site survivalistboards.com For storing supplies, just find some cheap shelves at home depot. Save money and get an AK-47 instead of an AR-15. Cheaper rifle, cheaper ammo and ultra reliable. I think the law in MA is a max of 2,000 rounds stored in the house (?) but do whatever you are comfortable with.

Back
Top Bottom