Braintree is a complete disgrace.

Status
Not open for further replies.
And here's the schedule that's three clicks into the website and posted indoors.
http://www.brp.org/Portals/72/PDFs/cmpschedule2016.pdf

So following your logic, one should click on the Activities Link, then click on each of the 6 links "Pistol Team, Archery, Trap, CMP, NRA and Junior" to make sure there is nothing that is scheduled that should be on the first place someone would look, which is the Calendar. Activities are "hey what does my club offer?". Calandar is "Hey what's going on at my range today and can I use it?". Webmaster fail.

Here is the 2nd click calendar. Why should I have to investigate further than 2 clicks. No events are shown. Range is free.

http://www.brp.org/Calendar/tabid/1137/Default.aspx

http://www.patriotledger.com/article/20160316/NEWS/160316563

"Eric S. Goldman, an attorney with the Boston law firm of Dewie, Srcewum and Fudd who has served as president of the Braintree Rifle & Pistol Club for more than 20 years,"

Time for a change?

Last edited:
You can bitch about how the calendar is not properly updated. Or you can get involved and offer to update the calendar. Guess which approach is more likely to achieve desired results?

You can bitch about how the calendar is not properly updated. Or you can get involved and offer to update the calendar. Guess which approach is more likely to achieve desired results?
Leaving the club would also bring results.

If you live in Whitman and shoot rifle you should consider Old Colony in Pembroke.

Every club has its issues, so pick your poison.
This dead on.
when I was shooting 3D on the south shore and cape circuit

i visited all the clubs around , they all have things I liked and in the suck column things like closed clicks, black rifle haters, pistol vs rifle shooters, dumb mag limit rules , work parties to get membership ,with exceptions for connected new prospects ect ..

so in in the current climate the best but not practical thing is to join More than one club to take advantage of the assets of each.

Yeah but we all know the loop club legacy disease is a special kind of poison.... [rofl]

They do have their issues. When you are that close to neighbors and under that much pressure from the town, you often have to make difficult choices. And sometimes when you have fossilized leadership, the club gets into a rut and has a lot of blind spots. On the other hand, they are probably close to a lot of people. I love Harvard Sportsmens, but if you live in Braintree HSC is a haul. So you can bitch and leave or help and fix.

In the case of this particular rant, some things are hard to fix (the requirement for an RO and ROs not being available). But other things are dirt simple to fix and could be fixed in 30 minutes of work (online calendar). If you start off bitching ("you need to update the calendar, blah, blah, blah"), the twelve guys who have been doing all the work around the club for the past 10 years are likely to react unfavorably to the johnnie-come-lately who hasn't done a thing for the club. They are doing everything they can, they are tired, and no matter what they do, someone who doesn't do crap always thinks they know better. Put yourself in their shoes.

If, on the other hand, you start off with "I'd like to get more involved in helping out the club. I noticed that some club events aren't shown on the online calendar. I'd be happy to volunteer to update the calendar, if you can hook me up with the club webmaster."

"The CMP matches are posted on the website they happen on the same day every month. There are also signs in the clubhouse. Stop your ****ing whining

And this whole issue could have been averted by a professional and courteous reply from the president, such as, "Thanks for bringing this issue to my attention I will look into it."

President's response was in the wrong. Prosecution rests! (See what I did there? [rofl])

Last edited:
That club is the worst freaking excuse for a gun club. The president is a d bag and the RO's are rats. I was actually asked once what the manufacture date was on my magazine.

Outside of a couple people there, everyone else has a holier than thou attitude. Move on like it did. Other clubs in the area that are much better. The only reason they still have a place is because some nearby towns require a club to get a LTC and that is closest.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

But when i was clicking through I noticed a guy in charge of the R/O's....why not sign up to be one and put some time into the club and get to know the inner workings a bit? And you would probably be able to use the ranges mostly at your convenience. Of course you would have to inquire about that through them. I have no idea what their rules are. But we did it that way once upon a time.
See above for my experience with the RO Czar. Seems to be a crony thing but when they appoint someone new I'll get back involved.

Leaving the club would also bring results.
The club has great indoor facilities, modest cost, and that's why they have something like 4,000 members. Not sure Eric responded the way he did as he's always been helpful for me.

At least everyone has the CMP schedule now!

Their website says they have 5600 members. At $145 a pop... plus fees and merchandise sales. Over 800k in revenue. I guess they can afford to be pricks and loose some revenue/ members.

Every one at Mansfield is great. The officers are nice and respectful, and they have a great easy to use calendar!

OP....I feel your pain......was a member at a club that consistently held private events that closed the range and they never updated their calendar. It blows to get packed up and head to the club and arrive and not be able to shoot.....total waste of time. I even reverted to calling the head of the range committee to check with him before packing up to go to the club......to arrive and see that there was a motorcycle rally ride going on and motorcycles parked all over the range.....not 3 hours after I called to check. But have to admit the club I belonged to was more of a bar that had a few members that used the range for about 3-4 weekends before deer season to check zero. During the spring and summer the range would go weeks and weeks with nobody using it. It was definitely all about the bar there so I moved on (if they had been more of a shooting club I may have tried to stick it out and change things and offer to be the "event coordinator" or something like that). But given the situation with the bar being priority I chose to move on. My point here is clubs are run by the membership........clubs have different personalities......My former club.....Ayer gun and sportmens club.......was into the private bar and hall rentals....and they ran many charitable events like fishing derbies for handicapped kids and raised money for vet groups which is all good stuff but.......shooting was not their priority.........I wanted to shoot......so be it. Now.......Briantree.......you could try to stick it out and attend a meeting and get a motion passed to have a calendar on the front page of the website that is updated with every event......and offer to update it if emails are sent to you with the events as they are booked? Would be pretty easy to do and not much time involved. Or you could move on. Gun clubs are run by volunteers......some clubs go through changes in "style" from time to time. I currently belong to Country Pond in Newton NH.....used to primarily be a trap shooting club from what Im told (still has an active and great trap program) but over the last 10 years has developed into a club that holds multiple shooting events every month 3 gun, plates, pins, bullseye, cmp.......very busy and active membership......most events even open tot he public and there are probably 8-10 events a month so I enjoy it. THeir website has the coming events link that is dead on accurate all the time and I have never run into a closed range that was not on the calendar. This club meets the majority of what I am looking for in a club.

So.....you can try to be active and change things ......or move on. But I will admit being cursed at from an email from the president is unacceptable.........I'd call him out on it.

Last edited:
Good to know. I moved to Hull in November and was considering going to Braintree. Now I will not give it another second of thought. I still am a member at HSA and will likely stay one so I can go shooting after work or during lunch.

Wow, the president is a dick head.
This. It shouldn't be difficult to act like a mature adult.

TL;DR. Do what I did: let Braintree lapse and join Hopkinton or Harvard.
This! 100%. Both of those are great clubs that I drive to from Boston (45min) and it's worth it.

That club is the worst freaking excuse for a gun club. The president is a d bag and the RO's are rats. I was actually asked once what the manufacture date was on my magazine.
Wow! Hope you told him to shove it. I wouldn't even consider joining a range that had ROs on duty - I'm not interested in joining a kindergarten.

This. It shouldn't be difficult to act like a mature adult.

This! 100%. Both of those are great clubs that I drive to from Boston (45min) and it's worth it.

Wow! Hope you told him to shove it. I wouldn't even consider joining a range that had ROs on duty - I'm not interested in joining a kindergarten.

From what I understand they had to institute ro rules due to a neg discharge that hit a building off property. Unfortunately some clubs need "adult supervision" just to stay alive.

Last edited:
And I though my club was a pain. I feel your guys pain out east. Westernmass has a lot of good clubs. Plus my new club is almost complete with a 1000 yard range.

From what I understand they had to institute ro rules due to a neg discharge that hit a building off property. Unfortunately some clubs need "adult supervision" just to stay alive.

I think that was an allegation that many believe was incorrect.

The unfortunate reality for clubs in crowded neighborhoods is that they often face situations where they have to accept a bad solution or face being shut down. Does it suck to have ROs? Yes. But it would suck worse if the outdoor range was shut completely and that is probably the choice that they faced.

I think that was an allegation that many believe was incorrect.

The unfortunate reality for clubs in crowded neighborhoods is that they often face situations where they have to accept a bad solution or face being shut down. Does it suck to have ROs? Yes. But it would suck worse if the outdoor range was shut completely and that is probably the choice that they faced.
See Haverhill rod and gun for an example!

What happened at Haverhill? Link?
http://boston.cbslocal.com/2012/09/14/stray-bullets-hit-haverhill-homes-near-gun-club/

http://www.hgazette.com/news/local_...cle_a177f8ff-1eae-59bc-8be5-7ca47f876199.html

They instituted ro rules and had to spend a ton of money on a higher berm and "shooting tubes" to stay open. That club has been around since the 1930s and subdivisions have popped up all around it since the 1980s. Went there as a kid in the early 80s for boy scouts and it was in the woods......now houses are within 1600 feet of the range. They used to have a great skeet club there. Good shooters! Sadly they closed the skeet range too.

Basically the club is a "shell" of its former self........not worth joining because of the restrictions.

There was a push to shut the club down in 2004 or 2005 when a police officer had a ricochet off a metal target holder during scheduled training that landed on a porch (this was verified). The metal target being used was not the correct one as the metal ones were for 22lr only......the club removed the metal targets. But of course it brought a whole barrage of claims from the home owners that they had holes in their houses from stray bullets......to be later verified to be woodpecker damage. Can't make this shit up. But the 2012 incident of a stray bullet hitting a house sealed the deal on the restrictions there.

this is the current rifle range configuration.......have to shoot through a pipe to keep people from elevating their muzzles.

http://www.hhrg.org/outr.html

Last edited:
Yup. What happened there will happen to more clubs.
With members that can't keep their rounds on the berm......yup. But in HHRG club's defense the "neighbors" have been after closing that club for decades.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom