Bowing down to NRA is dangerous

blindndead

NES Member
http://seattlepi.nwsource.com/opinion/300685_gunviolence23.html

By CLIFFORD M. HERMAN [puke]
GUEST COLUMNIST

The arguments favoring the private ownership of handguns in this country are based on two myths.

The first myth is that the Second Amendment to the Constitution guarantees private citizens the right to own handguns.

The fact is this. The Second Amendment, in its entirety, states "A well-regulated Militia being necessary to the security of a free State, the right of the people to keep and bear Arms, shall not be infringed." The National Rifle Association has succeeded brilliantly and cynically in convincing the public that the amendment consists only of the part that follows the comma.

Let us consider the context within which it was written. The country comprised only a loose arrangement of 13 separate colonies trying to get free from Britain. There was no strong central government that could raise and finance a national army. The leader, George Washington, had to rely on the willingness of each colony to send its militia of private citizens, each man carrying his own rifle, to join the effort.

It was a momentous struggle against a strong British army and its paid Hessian companions. It was only the heroic efforts of Washington's tattered volunteers that prevailed and eventually formed what would become the United States of America.

Only then did a collection of militias become what we have long known as a national militia. We call it the National Guard.

The second myth is that every private citizen needs a handgun to protect his loved ones and property against intrusion by burglars. This is a pernicious untruth. As a longtime trauma surgeon at Harborview Medical Center, the main center for treatment of all kinds of wounds and injuries, I cannot recall a single patient who had been shot by the resident of a private home while attempting to burglarize it. I believe my surgical colleagues would agree with that assessment. It is far more likely that a young boy finds a loaded handgun in his parents' bedside table and either he or a playmate gets shot while playing with it.

The other common use of handguns in private homes takes place during acts of domestic violence or drug disputes. Except in cases of convenience store holdups, gunshot wounds are administered by a family member or someone else known to the victim. We documented this well in a New England Journal of Medicine article we published as part of a comparison between Seattle and Vancouver, B.C., regarding the use of handguns.

Those are the two myths responsible for the ubiquitous presence and use of handguns in Seattle and elsewhere in this country. They attest to the ignorance of our citizens and our laziness in not even reading and learning the history of the Second Amendment to our Constitution.

After all, it is only a single sentence. That should not be too much for anyone.

The obvious truth is that only police and other law-enforcement officials should be allowed to have handguns in this country. Private citizens have no legitimate use or need for them, and they should be barred from possessing them. Period

Shame on us, for acquiescing to the NRA and to our own ignorance. We need to correct this dangerous condition.

Clifford M. Herman, M.D., is a professor emeritus of surgery, University of Washington School of Medicine.

what a jackass...

myth 1... wrong, it was actually created as a means for the people to eable to defend themselves and if need be, remove a tyranical government, as a means for the people to protect themselves from those that would attempt to remove our freedoms as well as for personal protection and the general security of the nation.

myth 2... that is because those that use firearms for defence mostly only need to show the firearm and the BG runs away like a little girl (no offence to little girls intended)

I wasn't aware that a professor of surgery is qualified to do a historical analysis on the Second Amendment.

By CLIFFORD M. HERMAN
GUEST COLUMNIST

Let us consider the context within which it was written. The country comprised only a loose arrangement of 13 separate colonies trying to get free from Britain. There was no strong central government that could raise and finance a national army. The leader, George Washington, had to rely on the willingness of each colony to send its militia of private citizens, each man carrying his own rifle, to join the effort.

It was a momentous struggle against a strong British army and its paid Hessian companions. It was only the heroic efforts of Washington's tattered volunteers that prevailed and eventually formed what would become the United States of America.

Clifford M. Herman, M.D., is a professor emeritus of surgery, University of Washington School of Medicine.

The language of the 2nd Amendment was, of course, not written before or during the American Revolution, as Herman implies (although even if it was, I'm not sure how that helps him with his conclusion). The war ended in 1781, at which point the "momentous struggle" was over and the 13 former colonies were free of British rule. The Constitution was debated in the mid 1780s, eventually being signed in 1787, and subsequently ratified in 1789, replacing the Articles of Confederation. The 2nd Amendment, along with the rest of the Bill of Rights, was ratified in 1791, by which time the country had experienced a decade of peace and freedom. Apparently, Herman was too busy with his medical studies to learn any history.

Even the most cursory reading of the debates that preceded the drafting of the 2nd Amendment - notably The Federalist No. 29 drafted by Alexander Hamilton and The Federalist No. 46 by James Madison - make it abundantly clear that the original intent was for the RKBA to apply to individual citizens who might be called upon to form a militia, and certainly not to the "National Guard," which of course did not exist until much later.

The danger of the Dr. Hermans of the world, however, is that nobody else understands anything about US history either, and so they read these lies and believe them to be truth.

It looks like there are a few historical ignoramuses responding to the columin in the comments section and agreeing with Mr. Herman - but the majority of the responders are disagreeing with him and giving him crap [grin]

The question I always think of when the "collective right" myth is trotted out is this. If in the 1st, 5th, 9th, and 10th amendments "people" means individuals, why is it in the 2nd that the word "people" means an organization? Wouldn't the Framers have used a separate word?

His ignorance of the Bill of Rights and history should be shocking, but it isn't.

As for his second point, it's speculation, not science. Doctors are supposed to be scientists and live in the realm of fact. I doubt that he's done a study on the etiology of gun shot victims.

Proving that doctors can be a biased as anyone else, I guess.

Gary

What a turd. I'll tell ya that I'm very happy to see so many people writing to bash this guy. Even more so from people who don't even own firearms. It gives me a warm feeling in my heart.

How dare anyone contradict the Dr.!

He's a "professor emeritus of surgery", so by default he's right and is more knowledgeable than us commoners and peons about these kind of things.

How dare anyone contradict the Dr.!

He's a "professor emeritus of surgery", so by default he's right and is more knowledgeable than us commoners and peons about these kind of things.

If there is a public hearing on gun laws, you can count on the Dr. being given special access near the beginning (before most of the legislators have left) since he is clearly more important than the non-MD's in the audience.

SOLVED!! He is one of the privleged to know more than anyone else does about anything. In fact that opinion he just gave, according to my calculatons, was worth atleast $20, bottom line (200,000+ education/#times he gives it). See its simple, he figures at $20 a pop everytime he gives his opion is a much easier way of getting a return on his investment than actually saving lives by curing cancer or some other disease. Here's the formula I derrived from his genius in case anyone else wants to get thier money's worth!
(Factless opinion+Ramble/# of times repeated)*Moonbat^2=$$$$$$
ITS SIMPLE!

©iodonnel

Hey Cliffy - "the right of the people to keep and bear arms..." - now, if THAT people doesn't mean PEOPLE, then it's the only damn one that DOESN'T. Get a grip and take your meds, will ya? [rolleyes]

Back
Top Bottom