Boston having a gun buy back

....since the "no questions asked" thing probably only applies if you actually agree to give it up.

I think you're right.

https://malegislature.gov/Laws/GeneralLaws/PartI/TitleXX/Chapter140/Section131O
Section 131O said:
Notwithstanding any general or special law, rule or regulation to the contrary, the colonel of state police, in conjunction with the secretary of the executive office of public safety, shall promulgate rules and regulations implementing a statewide firearms surrender program. In conjunction with this program only, any citizen of the commonwealth who complies with the policies set forth by the colonel shall not be asked for identification and shall be immune from prosecution for possession of such firearm; provided, however, that nothing herein shall prohibit the prosecution of any person for the unlawful possession of a firearm who is not in compliance with the conditions and procedures established by the colonel; and provided further, that nothing herein shall prohibit the prosecution of any person for any other offense committed within the commonwealth.

Any firearm surrendered in accordance with the provisions of this program that is reported stolen shall be returned to its lawful owner; provided, however, that any firearm suspected to be evidence in a crime shall remain in the custody and control of the department of state police in the same manner as any other such firearm lawfully seized by the department of state police. The department of state police may test-fire and preserve any and all firearms voluntarily surrendered. All weapons that have been voluntarily surrendered that are not suspected to be evidence of criminal activity and have not been reported stolen shall be disposed of in accordance with procedures established by the colonel.

Or bring a nonfunctioning gun, when they refuse to give you money, you put it back in the case, thank them and walk away. I wonder if at that point they would have asked to see a LTC since the "no questions asked" thing probably only applies if you actually agree to give it up.

Had a functioning gun, and they asked me "Are you a Boston resident?", Nope, but I work in Allston "Program is only for residents, we can keep the gun, but no Visa card, or we can give you the handgun back if you have your LTC?"

Had to show it to take it.

Last edited:
I keep fantasizing about offering free gun appraisals to people at CT buybacks.

There is no law in CT requiring the seller to have any kind of license because no license is needed for possession of any firearm in CT other than the new AW registration.

Unfortunately my schedule never seems to line up with the buybacks. This kind of thing has been catching on nationally. google it and you'll see inspiring stories of people setting up outside of buybacks and paying closer to fair market value for firearms.

Remember, in most of the country a secondary firearms transfer consists of nothing more than party A giving money to party b, and party b giving said firearm to party A.

Jason, your post raises another point. There is nothing in CT law giving any police organizations any special exemptions for buy backs. So every buy back is in violation of state law.

Also, if a PD in any state is engaging in large scale purchases of firearms, they may need an 01 or 07 ffl to be legal per federal law.

I should have shown up with an AR and when they wouldn't give me anything for it walk out with it.

I like to exagerate, so imagine a line of 1,000 people doing exactly that.

Imagine people with handguns that wouldn't want to stand in that long line, for that matter.
At that point, the BPD probably would have hassled you, made you show your LTC and then have written a tersely-worded letter to your local police chief, on BPD letterhead, that you showed up at the buyback for the sole purpose of causing trouble and making a scene. LTC is now placed in jeopardy and you have nothing to show for it.

I don't see what the problem is anyway. Drug dealers killing drug dealers. Big deal.

The problem is the public do not see criminals as the problem but blame guns. Therefore making it difficult for us law abiding folks to enjoy our guns.

http://dailyfreepress.com/2014/03/30/edit-the-price-for-peace/

At the time that this was written, 75 guns had been turned in:

"The Piece for Peace Program is a good way to finally get the ball rolling on gun control in the City of Boston. In theory, it will help people feel safer by knowing 75 handguns have been taken off the streets of Boston in the last week. Although relative to the amount of guns that most likely exist in Boston, both legally and illegally — it is still 75 less guns nonetheless.

The program gives us a chance to see visible and tangible results in the effort to combat gun violence in the city. Now residents of Boston have a material way to account for the amount of guns that aren’t being used, rather than the ones that are."

Anyone who advocated participation in the program should look at this statement:

The program gives us a chance to see visible and tangible results in the effort to combat gun violence in the city.

Yep. Load those tables up with your junk handguns. Make the sheep feel safe and get a few dollars besides. [puke]
Just think in a city with some of the toughest regulations in this s**t hole state, we are now "finally get(ting) the ball rolling on gun control in the City of Boston."
White Feather

At that point, the BPD probably would have hassled you, made you show your LTC and then have written a tersely-worded letter to your local police chief, on BPD letterhead, that you showed up at the buyback for the sole purpose of causing trouble and making a scene. LTC is now placed in jeopardy and you have nothing to show for it.

LOL. They can take my LTC. I'm beyond caring.

Back
Top Bottom