Boston Cop has Glock stolen

By Christine McConville, Globe Staff | July 27, 2007

Boston police are investigating the theft of a department-issued .40-caliber Glock firearm from an officer whose fiancée's son stole the weapon and sold it to another teenager

"We don't know who has it now," Boston police spokeswoman Elaine Driscoll said yesterday.

The gun has been sold at least twice since it was stolen nearly two weeks ago. According to police, on July 15, an officer who works in the department's Mattapan Station told his supervisors that his handgun had been stolen from a locked safe in his home.

The officer, a member of the force since April 2006, told police the 13-year-old son of his fiancée admitted to stealing the gun and selling it to Daniel Esdale, 17, of Hyde Park, according to a police report.

Police obtained a warrant for Esdale's arrest and arrested him on Leslie Street in Dorchester on July 16, a day after the theft was reported. .

But by that time, Esdale had resold the gun, Driscoll said. He did not tell police who bought it, she said. "The officers are being vigilant and making every necessary effort to find this firearm.

"We will punish anyone who has participated in this," she added.

Esdale has been charged with receiving stolen property, unlawfully carrying a firearm, and the unlawful possession of ammunition, said Jake Wark, spokesman for the Suffolk district attorney.

He has pleaded not guilty to those charges and is due in court for a pretrial hearing today, Wark said. Driscoll said police plan to file criminal charges against the 13-year-old, but did not say what those charges might be.

The officer whose gun was stolen is still working. He has been issued another firearm, but can only carry it while on duty, Driscoll said.

The department's Internal Affairs Division is investigating the case, but at this point, the department believes the officer followed proper departmental steps, Driscoll said.

"He came forward right away, and our preliminary information shows that he followed all the correct procedures," she said.

Kenneth Anderson, a lawyer who represents members of the Boston Police Patrolmen's Association, said the officer "is entirely blameless in this unfortunate incident."

Driscoll said the department does not have any reports of the firearm being used since it was stolen.

McConville can be reached at [email protected].

The department's Internal Affairs Division is investigating the case, but at this point, the department believes the officer followed proper departmental steps, Driscoll said.

"He came forward right away, and our preliminary information shows that he followed all the correct procedures," she said.

Kenneth Anderson, a lawyer who represents members of the Boston Police Patrolmen's Association, said the officer "is entirely blameless in this unfortunate incident."

Gee, I wonder if BPD would respond the same way to an LTC holder in boston
reporting a stolen firearm.... how much you want to bet they'd try to revoke
someone's LTC, even if it's "not their fault"?

-Mike

Driscoll said the department does not have any reports of the firearm being used since it was stolen.

Right, he followed proper procedure by letting his fiancee's 13 year old son know the combination to his goddamn safe? Exsqueeze me?

Right, he followed proper procedure by letting his fiancee's 13 year old son know the combination to his goddamn safe? Exsqueeze me?

My guess is that it wasn't a real "safe" but something more along the line of s Stack-on.

Mike, you are slightly wrong . . . BPD would not "try" to revoke the person's LTC, they would DO IT under "unsuitability" . . . in a heartbeat!

pdm, don't jump to conclusions yet!

We don't know if it was a combo safe or a key operated safe. If key operated, did the kid steal the keys out of the officers pants pocket or dresser, remove the gun and return the keys? If so, I would say that the officer was blameless.

If it was a combo safe, some are easy to defeat given time to guess the combo. [I accidentally reset a combo on a luggage lock and had to sit there for 1/2 hour trying every possible combo until I got it to open when we were on a trip once.] If he shared the combo with the fiancée and/or kid, we have some serious culpability here (IMNSHO).

Gee, I wonder if BPD would respond the same way to an LTC holder in boston
reporting a stolen firearm.... how much you want to bet they'd try to revoke
someone's LTC, even if it's "not their fault"?

-Mike

Yeah that is what got me about this whole thing, if that was one of us we would be screwed.

Gee, I wonder if BPD would respond the same way to an LTC holder in boston reporting a stolen firearm.... how much you want to bet they'd try to revoke someone's LTC, even if it's "not their fault"?

While they don't say explicitly, it sounds as if they have yanked his ticket:

The officer whose gun was stolen is still working. He has been issued another firearm, but can only carry it while on duty, Driscoll said.

Coming right out and saying that they've revoked his license might lead the reader to believe that either the officer was seriously at fault or that the PD can revoke licenses pretty much whenever they feel like it, neither of which is consistent with the Globe's party line.

Ken

pdm, don't jump to conclusions yet!

We don't know if it was a combo safe or a key operated safe. If key operated, did the kid steal the keys out of the officers pants pocket or dresser, remove the gun and return the keys? If so, I would say that the officer was blameless.

Len, that would be great if that was the standard that everyone was held to. But the second someone breaks into my "locked container" (case, safe, cabinet, lock box, whatever) and makes off with my firearm, what are the odds I won't be held accountable -- at least without emptying my 401(k) for the lawyer?

If you read they charged the kid with carrying ammo, so did the officer leave it loaded??

I am going to bet that this glock turns up in a shooting a few years down the road. It's funny there looking for it, hell that thing has been illegally sold 5 more times by now.

My question is why BPD does not do stings and start getting these punks off the street. I mean that is why they got the shootings they do, if the trouble is illegal firearms get some cops out there undercover and setup deals to get these guys.

pdm, read my comment above my comments to you. Yes, a civilian would be screwed even if they used a crowbar to get access to the safe. You can not win against a charge of "unsuitability" either.

Chris, most of the officers that I worked with stored their service weapon loaded. They never even checked it before going on duty. Remember most aren't gun people, just carry it like a ball-point pen as part of the job. Even if he "unloaded" it, he'd store it with full mags beside it. It's SOP.

Driscoll said police plan to file criminal charges against the 13-year-old, but did not say what those charges might be.

How much anyone want to bet that the charges won't be anywhere near as serious as the charges against the kid he sold it to?

While they don't say explicitly, it sounds as if they have yanked his ticket:

I have an inkling that its more of an administrative punishment than an LTC
guillotine type of job. If BPD was really mad at him they'd probably
suspend him or something.

On the flip side, you or I did that as a boston resident (have a gun lost or
stolen) LTC would get yanked and a van would appear with a bunch of guys
eager to deprive you of your firearms.

It's this kind of thing that makes you realized how f***ed up MA really
is- in any other state you have a gun stolen from you and the PD doesn't
treat it much different from a car theft or any other piece of
property. They won't get pissed at you for being a victim of a crime, unless
you were really stupid. In MA they treat the victims of firearm theft as
criminals- with the only exception being if you have an issuing authority
with their head screwed on straight.

-Mike

And Menino will somehow blame New Hampshire's gun laws for this. After all, the cop's gun would not have known how to become illegal if it hadn't talked to the illegal NH guns that have flooded across the border.

Stolen Glock

This 13 year old needs a serious beating. What 13 year old would have the balls to steal a gun from his mothers cop boyfriend and sell it? Is this kid a total moron? Unbelievable. It`s the guns fault thou.

I hope it wasn't harleyboss's gun.
happy50.gif
ZING!!

Harleyboss gets a
bottom.gif

I think the Boston Police should have GPS devices and automatic locks on their guns. This way you could always find the guns, and by remote control, Police higher ups could unlock the guns when they felt the officers might need them.

I think the Boston Police should have GPS devices and automatic locks on their guns. This way you could always find the guns, and by remote control, Police higher ups could unlock the guns when they felt the officers might need them.

Great. Give the politicians more ideas for future legislation.

I have an inkling that its more of an administrative punishment than an LTC
guillotine type of job. If BPD was really mad at him they'd probably
suspend him or something.

In the days when they used officers as dispatcher and call takers, he'd be sent to the "Turret". Many of the officers up there were unable for a variety of reasons to carry, so they were sent inside until the situation was resolved.

He's not out of the woods by a long shot, no pun intended. They haven't disciplined him... yet.

It's this kind of thing that makes you realized how f***ed up MA really
is- in any other state you have a gun stolen from you and the PD doesn't
treat it much different from a car theft or any other piece of
property. They won't get pissed at you for being a victim of a crime, unless
you were really stupid. In MA they treat the victims of firearm theft as
criminals- with the only exception being if you have an issuing authority
with their head screwed on straight.

-Mike

Not picking on you Mike, but I'd like to hear from one of the lawyers who handles these types of cases. All I've heard, and there's been a lot of it lately, is "In MA this... will definitely get your LTC yanked", but nothing to support it. Especially from the "IANAL" crowd.

Gary

Back
Top Bottom