Boston "Assault Weapons Ban" ... n00b content

Sorry to bring this thread back to life, but I'm hoping that my reading of this is correct in saying that a Ruger 10/22 is not a fearsome, heavily dangerous ["]assault weapon.["]

Under what analysis (if any) would you think it was? It has NO pistol grip, bayonet lug, grenade launcher, folding/collapsible stock or flash hider/muzzle brake; no factory mags other than 10-rounders; it's not even on the "Large Capacity Roster."

How would it possibly qualify? [rolleyes]

I was thinking that it is capable of taking mags over 10 rounds. But then I remembered that they're talking about firearms that were sold WITH those mags.

I was thinking that it is capable of taking mags over 10 rounds. But then I remembered that they're talking about firearms that were sold WITH those mags.

A number of years ago I had an FFL tell me that I would need an LTC in order to buy a 10/22 (FID wasn't good enough).

I left and took my buisness somewhere else rather than get into an argument about it.

Well. it is not specifically included as one of the types listed. It doesn;t meet any of the first 10 points in section 1 paragraph 1. Unless they have a different definition of fixed magazine than I do.

In section 1, paragraph 2, number 11, it can employ such a magazine (more than ten rounds) but my reading of it leads me to believe that this only means it's not specifically exempted from being an assault weapon.

The original magazines fall under the ban since they are rifle magazines of over ten rounds capacity, but 0ther mags are available...

In short, I have no freaking clue. And this roster that they are supposed to publish I have never seen.

I guess I will just not take the risk and leave the carbine safely where it is now until I move to a more friendly place.

Well. it is not specifically included as one of the types listed. It doesn;t [sic[ meet any of the first 10 points in section 1 paragraph 1. Unless they have a different definition of fixed magazine than I do.

The "Large Capacity Weapons Roster" specifically lists the Iver Johnson M-1 Carbine as well as that ludicrous "pistol" version of the carbine called the "Enforcer." There is little, if any, reason to believe that other manufacturers' versions of the same gun would not be included as well.

Note also that carbines can come with folding stocks, pistol grips, bayonet lugs, muzzle brakes and flash hiders, all of which are on the "evil features" list of "assault weapon" criteria.

In short, I have no freaking clue. And this roster that they are supposed to publish I have never seen.

In short, you never bothered to look. ALL the rosters are posted on the CHSB website, the GOAL website, as well as somewhere on this forum. Had you made any effort to find them, you would have. [rolleyes]

I guess I will just not take the risk and leave the carbine safely where it is now until I move to a more friendly place.

Given the above, that's a wise move.

Scrivener,

This time YOU ought to learn how to read.

Let's start at the top:

- "BOSTON" is in the title,

- OP post requested info on BOSTON'S BAN,

- My response was that he should read the Boston Ban very carefully,

- He responds with ". . . section 1, paragraph 2, number 11 . . ." which any smart lawyer should know does NOT refer to MGL wrt to the AWB.

- You respond in your normal condescending, gratuitous manner that HE should learn to read.

I contend counselor that YOU learn to read and if you happen to know anything about the BOSTON BAN, feel free to respond to him, otherwise take your own advice to all of us that aren't lawyers and not respond!

Boston AWB question?

Just wondering if anyone here knows if any firearms have ever been added to the Boston AWB besides the Fiveseven, .50 BMG, and the SW 500? I can't find any updated roster of this anywhere and only heard the other three as they were being proposed for the ban.

Anyone know?

I merged your thread with the original one. It has the full text of the ban posted above, which should answer your question.

Special "Assault Weapons" Law
for the City of Boston
Acts 1989, ch. 596, sections 1-7, entitled "An act relative to assault weapons in the city of Boston", which was approved Dec 9, 1989; by section 8, effective upon its passage, provide as follows:

SECTION 1.
For the purposes of this act the following words shall have the following meanings:

1. "Assault weapon", all rifles and shotguns designated as assault weapons in this section and all other semi-automatic rifles and shotguns which are determined by the assault weapon roster board, established under the provisions of section five, to be assault weapons. Such term shall include, in addition to any other rifles and shotguns identified by said board, all versions of the following, including rifles and shotguns sold under the designation provided in this section and rifles and shotguns which are substantially identical thereto sold under any designation:

1. Avtomat Kalishnikov, also known as AK-47 semi-automatic rifles;
2. Uzi semi-automatic rifles;
3. AR-15 semi-automatic rifles;
4. FN-FAL and FN-FNC semi automatic rifles;
5. Steyr Aug semi-automatic rifles;
6. SKS semi-automatic rifles;
7. shotguns with revolving cylinders known as the Street Sweeper and the Striker 12;
8. any other semi-automatic rifle with a fixed magazine capacity exceeding ten rounds;

2. "Assault weapon" shall not include:

1. a rifle or shotgun which does not employ fixed ammunition;
2. a rifle or shotgun which was manufactured prior to the year eighteen hundred and ninety-eight;
3. a rifle or shotgun which operates by manual bolt action;
4. a rifle or shotgun which operates by lever action;
5. a rifle or shotgun which operates by slide action;
6. a rifle or shotgun which is a single shot weapon;
7. a rifle or shotgun which is a multiple barrel weapon;
8. a rifle which is a revolving cylinder weapon;
9. a rifle which employs a fixed magazine with a capacity of ten rounds or less;
10. a shotgun which is a rimfire weapon that employs a tubular magazine with a magazine capacity of six rounds or less; 11. a rifle or shotgun which cannot employ a detachable magazine or ammu- nition belt with a capacity greater than ten rounds;
12. a rifle or shotgun which has been modified so as to render it permanently inoperable or so as to make it permanently a device which may not appropri- ately be designated as an assault weapon; or.
13. a rifle or shotgun which is an antique or relic firearm, movie prop or other weapon not capable of firing a projectile and not intended for use as a functional weapon and which cannot be readily converted through a combina- tion of available parts into an operable assault weapon.

Unless the underlined word ("shotgun") in section 1.2.10 is a typo and LoginName meant to type "rifle" it looks to me like Boston considers a Marlin 60 an assault rifle. [rofl] Semi-automatic with a fixed (tubular) magazine of 16 rounds capacity... and it's not a "shotgun". [rolleyes]

I understand (as well as anyone can) the Boston AWB, my worry is that they have the ability to designate any other rifle not specifically exempted by it as an AW as well. Clearly a Garand cannot fall into any reasonable person's definition of an AW, but neither does a Barrett, a SW500, or a Fiveseven, especially considering that the ban does not even mention handguns.

Y'know, just reading the line AFTER that which says "a rifle or shotgun which cannot employ a detachable magazine or ammunition belt with a capacity greater than ten rounds;" and I'm thinking that that might allow for the .22 with tubular magazines. Since they're not detachable, after all.

What do you think?

Contacted GOAL to see what their opinion was. Apparently the "board" was never appointed, so there is no additional roster, just the specific types that were banned.

Seems to me that the AR-70, plus the Sig line, would thus be legal since they don't meet any of the first set of conditions (as long as their definition of "fixed" is what I think it is.)

As I'm patiently awaiting my 21st birthday when I can apply for my LTC, I've been reading up on all the firearms laws that will apply to me and determining what guns I should save up for. After shooting an AR-15 at a rental range I would really like to eventually own one, but as a resident of Boston the Boston assault weapon ban applies to me. After reading both the Boston and Massachusetts assault weapon laws, I believe this may actually be possible without breaking the city law.

Apparently the state defines an assault Chapter 140, Section 121 as follows:
“Assault weapon”, shall have the same meaning as a semiautomatic assault weapon as defined in the federal Public Safety and Recreational Firearms Use Protection Act, 18 U.S.C. section 921(a)(30) as appearing in such section on September 13, 1994, and shall include, but not be limited to, any of the weapons, or copies or duplicates of the weapons, of any caliber, known as: (i) Avtomat Kalashnikov (AK) (all models); (ii) Action Arms Israeli Military Industries UZI and Galil; (iii) Beretta Ar70 (SC-70); (iv) Colt AR-15; (v) Fabrique National FN/FAL, FN/LAR and FNC; (vi) SWD M-10, M-11, M-11/9 and M-12; (vi) Steyr AUG; (vii) INTRATEC TEC-9, TEC-DC9 and TEC-22; and (viii) revolving cylinder shotguns, such as, or similar to, the Street Sweeper and Striker 12; provided, however, that the term assault weapon shall not include: (i) any of the weapons, or replicas or duplicates of such weapons, specified in appendix A to 18 U.S.C. section 922 as appearing in such appendix on September 13, 1994, as such weapons were manufactured on October 1, 1993; (ii) any weapon that is operated by manual bolt, pump, lever or slide action; (iii) any weapon that has been rendered permanently inoperable or otherwise rendered permanently unable to be designated a semiautomatic assault weapon; (iv) any weapon that was manufactured prior to the year 1899; (v) any weapon that is an antique or relic, theatrical prop or other weapon that is not capable of firing a projectile and which is not intended for use as a functional weapon and cannot be readily modified through a combination of available parts into an operable assault weapon; (vi) any semiautomatic rifle that cannot accept a detachable magazine that holds more than five rounds of ammunition; or (vii) any semiautomatic shotgun that cannot hold more than five rounds of ammunition in a fixed or detachable magazine.

The state law specifically names AR-15s as assault weapons and Chapter 140, section 131M bans the possession and sale of post-ban assault weapons. So apparently AR-15s are banned for everyone in this state. This must mean that the "AR-15s" in post-ban configuration sold in this state aren't legally AR-15s. The model I was thinking of is a Bushmaster Target Rifle without the bayonet lug or flash suppressor. I've heard it referred to as an XM-15. Am I correct in assuming this gun isn't considered an AR-15 under state or federal law? If it was, it would be banned in the entire state.

The Boston assault weapon ban specifically bans AR-15's too, but assuming that new Massachusetts legal "AR-15s" aren't technically AR-15s, then I can't find anything else in the law that would ban them for Boston residents. Even if I had pre-ban high-cap magazines I don't think I would be breaking the city law because I don't think anyone can argue that "fixed magazine capacity" refers to detachable magazines.

What are your opinions on my interpretations of these confusing laws?

They're all legally, technically AR15s.

We have NO state ban on AR15s at all, just a ban on "evil features".

Boston has a ban on certain guns regardless of what configuration they are in.

You have some serious reading to do. Start in the Stickies located in the MA Gun Laws forum.

I have found several posts where people say the Massachusetts assault weapon ban only bans "evil features", but Chapter 140, Section 121 specifically states "shall include, but not be limited to, any of the weapons, or copies or duplicates of the weapons, of any caliber, known as:" and then states numerous guns including the "Colt AR-15". It also refers to the federal definition of an assault weapon in the U.S. Code which states:
(30) The term "semiautomatic assault weapon" means -
(A) any of the firearms, or copies or duplicates of the
firearms in any caliber, known as -
(i) Norinco, Mitchell, and Poly Technologies Avtomat
Kalashnikovs (all models);
(ii) Action Arms Israeli Military Industries UZI and Galil;
(iii) Beretta Ar70 (SC-70);
(iv) Colt AR-15;
(v) Fabrique National FN/FAL, FN/LAR, and FNC;
(vi) SWD M-10, M-11, M-11/9, and M-12;
(vii) Steyr AUG;
(viii) INTRATEC TEC-9, TEC-DC9 and TEC-22; and
(ix) revolving cylinder shotguns, such as (or similar to) the
Street Sweeper and Striker 12;

(B) a semiautomatic rifle that has an ability to accept a
detachable magazine and has at least 2 of -
(i) a folding or telescoping stock;
(ii) a pistol grip that protrudes conspicuously beneath the
action of the weapon;
(iii) a bayonet mount;
(iv) a flash suppressor or threaded barrel designed to
accommodate a flash suppressor; and
(v) a grenade launcher;

(C) a semiautomatic pistol that has an ability to accept a
detachable magazine and has at least 2 of -
(i) an ammunition magazine that attaches to the pistol
outside of the pistol grip;
(ii) a threaded barrel capable of accepting a barrel
extender, flash suppressor, forward handgrip, or silencer;
(iii) a shroud that is attached to, or partially or
completely encircles, the barrel and that permits the shooter
to hold the firearm with the nontrigger hand without being
burned;
(iv) a manufactured weight of 50 ounces or more when the
pistol is unloaded; and
(v) a semiautomatic version of an automatic firearm; and

(D) a semiautomatic shotgun that has at least 2 of -
(i) a folding or telescoping stock;
(ii) a pistol grip that protrudes conspicuously beneath the
action of the weapon;
(iii) a fixed magazine capacity in excess of 5 rounds; and
(iv) an ability to accept a detachable magazine.

Once again, the AR-15 is specifically mentioned and the ban on "evil features" seems to apply to guns not specifically banned already. I have tried searching the forum but I cannot find anything that disputes my interpretation of these laws. Can someone please clear this up for me?

You cannot own an AR-15 clone in Boston. If you do, prepare to have suitability tossed in the Charles along with any firearms you purchase.

For the record, I am a Boston resident.

When it comes to ARs, AKs, and the others listed under the Boston law, evil features means nothing with respect to Boston. The statewide AWB means nothing with respect to Boston.

And continue reading the entire law. It is illegal to possess a high cap feeding device for a rifle or shotgun in Boston as well. Fixed magazine capacity does not come into play for that reason.

I am sorry but you can NOT own any of the listed rifles or their clones in this city. This would even extend to the point where you could not own a ROMAK-3 because it is a AK clone in a different caliber, nor a piston 6.8 SPC AR because it is still an AR copy.

There are several alternatives for the Boston resident looking to own a semi auto. This includes every single model of HK, the M1A/M1/M1 Carbine, the F2000 (note under a vague ordinance the 5.7mm is banned so no PS90), and others. Be creative, but don't break the law because if you do, despite its low penalties and unenforceability, you will never be able to get an LTC in the state again. And remember, all your long gun mags must be neutered capacity.

Last edited:
Vellnu...Q (don't mean to get off topic) Is the Ps90 out due to the ban on the 5.7 round?

If so guess I aint going to Boston with the "MEAN GREEN " gun

I believe it is, but you might want to double check. It banned either the FN 5.7 or the Fiveseven. If the former it would be the caliber, if the latter it would be the pistol.

The mag ban is a reason I hope to one day have a locker at Mass Rifle, so I can store mags there.

It still seems to me that the statewide AWB bans all post-ban AR-15s and AR-15 clones making any Mass. compliant post-ban "AR-15" not really an AR-15, but I must be missing something here since I seem to be the only one here that has interpreted the law this way.

Vellnueve, I just read that Section 2 of the Boston AWB bans high-cap rifle mags so I was clearly wrong about that. What HK models are you referring to? I see that the 416 and 417 have evil features, so are you referring to the SL8-6 and USC? The M1A and F2000 seem a little out of my price range. I have every intention of leaving this state within three years, so losing my LTC (once I get it) would not be the end of the world, and the chances of that happening seem very slim. I may decide to take my chances with an AR-15, but either way, I have a long time to make the decision.

AGAIN, evil features do not mean anything in Boston because the Boston ban was written five years before the federal AWB defined those features. Thus, any firearm you can own elsewhere in Mass that is not specifically banned by the Boston AWB is a go in Boston.

What it means is you can own any of the G3 family (HK91,94,93,SP89, SL8,USC, etc) , any preban "assault weapon" that has evil features but isn't one of the listed models or a copy.

The statewide/federal AWBs, despite appearing to ban all copies, only ban those models that have those evil features. Thus, why ARs, AKs, etc were widely available even during the original AWB, albeit without hiders, lugs, and folding stocks.

I cannot blame you for being confused. I would be too if my dad wasn't a 01 FFL during that time and thus I followed all the laws and developments closely.

A not all inclusive list of things to look for in your Boston legal semi

- Must not be listed in the Boston AWB
- For practical purposes, should have mags available with 10 round or less capacity, unless you like loading single rounds.
- Must be mass legal (preban with evil features or post 9/13/94 with a max of one evil feature, usually the pistol grip)

My suggestions: An M1 carbine ($600-800ish), an M1A ($1200-2000ish), or an HK91 clone (700ish-1200ish)

Don't drive yourself insane trying to match definitions and types between the two bans. If you see it available for sale to Mass residents and it isn't on the Boston list, and doesn't have high cap mags, you should be able to buy it.

Also note that the Barrett .50, SW500, and FN 5.7 are recent additions. Other than that, the list is only what is listed in the original text of the Boston ban.

The liberal machine in Boston doesn't even know what they are talking about.... if you have a LTC issued by the STATE...then you can carry whatever the STATE says. It's like the modified class A/B crap. So basiclly if you have a pistol that is Hi-Cap it is illegal (I use the term loosely) in Boston if you do not have a BOSTON LTC with needed modifications. But I don't know of many cops in Boston that will haul you in for a COB violation....and if it did happen...boy would I call my lawyer and make a killing $$$$$$$$

Just my understanding....if someone KNOWS for sure please correct me

"A liberal is a conservitive that hasn't been mugged yet"

I have been reading the board for a little bit and I have been searching for this info but could not find anything solid. And when I called BPD Licensing I asked if there was a list or if they could point me in the direction of a “list” of gun’s illegal in Boston. I followed up with the statement of “I just do not want to purchase a firearm that is legal in Massachusetts but illegal in Boston.” And to no avail they said they did not know, to check the Mass State Police site.

So here are my questions, which “assault weapons” are banned in Boston. I was interesting in an Olympic Arms ML-2 Multimatch. Is this considered an “assault weapon” in Boston? Even though it does not have a bayonet lug, flash suppressor, grenade launcher, or telescopic stock?

And the second one, is there anywhere I can find a list of weapons that are illegal to own in Boston?

Thanks,

Rory

The liberal machine in Boston doesn't even know what they are talking about.... if you have a LTC issued by the STATE...then you can carry whatever the STATE says. It's like the modified class A/B crap. So basically if you have a pistol that is Hi-Cap it is illegal (I use the term loosely) in Boston if you do not have a BOSTON LTC with needed modifications.

Sounds like a large bundle of misinformation you have there. There
is nothing intrinsically different about a Boston LTC A vs an LTC A
from somewhere else or from the state- they don't change what
guns you can carry.. .. (well, except for the likelihood that a
Boston permit is -usually- restricted, which means you can't legally
carry anything on it at all. )

-Mike

The liberal machine in Boston doesn't even know what they are talking about.... if you have a LTC issued by the STATE...then you can carry whatever the STATE says. It's like the modified class A/B crap.

So basiclly if you have a pistol that is Hi-Cap it is illegal (I use the term loosely) in Boston if you do not have a BOSTON LTC with needed modifications.

No. In terms of capacity, the Boston AWB applies ONLY to semi-auto long arm magazines that hold more than ten rounds or more than six shotgun shells.

[thinking]Pick up the Saiga Hunter - 762 or 223 for Boston. No evil features, 10 round capacity and about 300.00 to own.

Plus if you ever get out of the republic of mumbles you can easily modify in about 15 minutes (bullet guide) the Saiga to take HICAP standard mags, add the other "EVIL" features Bla Bla Bla for a couple of hundred bagona's. Plus they are easy as hell to trick out, accurate as any, shoot just like any other 223 or 762. It's not a collectors gun but a real workhorse for short $$$$.

Where there is a will, there is a way!

Nope, the Saiga is a straight AK clone with a different stock and mag well.

There are options out there, but most of the most common and cheaper options are out of the question.

Back
Top Bottom