• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

Boston "Assault Weapons Ban" ... n00b content

Rating - 100%
2   0   0

For someone that might still be confused, is there an answer here?

I have a friend (Boston resident) that recently purchased a kel tec sub2k - he bought it at a well known FFL, is he allowed to possess it within the city of Boston? Or should he leave it somewhere else?

Reading the bylaw did not provide much clarity so hoping someone here knows better.

Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It's heart-warming, to see that this thread has been going on for 10+ years - with some questions still seemingly unanswered... ;)
One question I still have - and I've seen it brought up in the thread, but haven't seen it answered - about these 2 lines:

Section 1. (1)(i) Any other shotgun with a fixed magazine ... capacity exceeding six rounds [is an "Assault Weapon"]
and
Section 1. (2)(e) ["Assault Weapon" shall not include] a rifle or shotgun which operates by slide action;

- so, which one wins? Is a 20" barrel Mossberg Maverick 88 an "assault weapon"? - On the one hand, 8 shells in the tube, on the other hand - pump/slide action?

Simply curious here....

CAR

NES Member
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
According to the City of Boston's firearms portal "If you live in Boston, or own a business in the City, the Boston Police commissioner is your local licensing authority." Send Commissoner Evans a certified letter with a self-addressed stamped return envelope and ask for clarification of the policy in his official capacity as the licensing authority.

OMM 0000

NES Member
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Sorry to dig up an old thread but this is fascinating.

From my read a Mintueman Armory with a pined mag seems like a good Boston rifle.
Sig 556 is a great suggestion, noted!
M1 seems like a great piece of history to own as well.
On shotgun, seems like a pump gets around capacity limits and can be very fast if that’s your goal.

One question: In a fire, EMT, police-presence scenario, who the hell is gonna volunteer to open their safe/cabinet to show the officer all their scary black rifles???
I suppose the concern is in a case, in the car en route to the range and you get pulled over?
(sorry have not searched yet about traffic stops and police verifying proper transport)

Rating - 100%
5   0   0
Can someone please re-link the City of Boston By-law? I've been trying to find it on the GOAL page as well and am unable. In practice, is the current MA-AWB currently the same as what was previously the AWB? Based on a paste from the by-law on page 2-3 of this thread, they appear to be the same.

I'd like to purchase a pre-healy AR with a piston upper (BRN180) from someone, but believe I am SOL as long as I continue to reside in Boston.

Edit: nevermind, found them:

City: https://www.boston.gov/sites/default/files/embed/a/assault-weapon-boston-act.pdf
State: https://www.mass.gov/doc/enforcement-notice/download

Last edited:

Parker Schreiber

NES Member
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Top Bottom