Boston and Massachusetts Lose All Credibility on Gun Control

GOAL

NES Member
http://www.goal.org/news/criminalsetfree.htm

For Immediate Release - Gun Owners’ Action League

Boston and Massachusetts Lose All Credibility on Gun Control

The Person Admittedly Responsible for Liquarry Jefferson’s Death Virtually Set Free

In the summer of 2007 we were struck by the tragic news that young Liquarry Jefferson was accidentally killed by an even younger relative. It appears from all recent reports that the young relative got a hold of a loaded handgun that was illegally obtained, illegally possessed and illegally stored by Liquarry’s older brother Jayquan McConnico. When the news of the tragedy broke, the mother misled police by telling them the boy was shot by someone from outside the home.

In the days and weeks to follow, Boston city officials including Mayor Menino couldn’t wait to get in front of a microphone and blame lawful gun owners for the death of this young man. The abhorrent misplaced allegation was said to be that this occurred because the NRA and other pro-civil rights groups were blocking “reasonable” laws that would stop such tragedies.

Such arguments have always been without merit and are in fact used to cover up a lack of social maturity and responsibility that exists in states like Massachusetts. This state spends quite a lot of political capital putting on a good face regarding stopping criminal activity, but it has proven time and again that it lacks the courage to back up that cheap talk. These deficits in maturity and responsibility could not have been more exemplified as they were on the day when the criminal most responsible for Liquarry’s death was virtually let free.

In early October of 2008, the criminal responsible for providing the illegally obtained, illegally possessed and illegally stored loaded handgun was brought before the Boston Juvenile Court. Reports state that the young man faced thirty years in prison for his actions. We know that the violation of Massachusetts storage laws alone (Chapter 140; Section 131L) could have brought him over ten years in prison. This latest action was also complicated by his recorded criminal past. However, the results were that the court remanded him to Department of Youth Services custody, a nine year concurrent probation and a two year suspended sentence for misleading police. The court also ordered that the defendant get a high school diploma and a job. This is the results of a city and state that continually pushes for tougher and tougher laws and berates the rest of the nation for not following their lead on tough gun laws?

In an even further example of lack of social maturity and responsibility the judge and the prosecutor were reported to have said “…if McConnico reoffends, he could be sent packing to MCI-Cedar Junction for up to six years - a safety net for the public Limon and assistant Suffolk District Attorney David Deakin insisted upon…” Reoffend? So if this young criminal is responsible for another death the court will really get tough and actually put him in jail!

For over a decade, the lawful gun owners of Massachusetts have faced crushing persecutory laws that have stripped tens of thousands of their civil rights. Our civil rights as lawful citizen gun owners have been eviscerated in the name of “reasonable” laws to provide public safety.

Because we continue to fight for what little remnants of the Constitution that remain here, we are continually blamed for blocking “common sense” laws that will protect Massachusetts citizens form gun crime.

If nothing else of a positive nature comes from this tragedy, it will be that the rest of the nations will know not to follow the “lead” of Massachusetts when it comes to criminal enforcement, crime prevention, gun laws or integrity. If the City of Boston and the Commonwealth of Massachusetts allows the person most responsible for young Liquarry’s death to virtually go free, no official in either government entity will ever again have any credibility in the eyes of its citizens in regard to public safety and the dismantling of the Second Amendment they are so proud of.

We cannot be sure where our so called political leaders are taking us as a society, but one thing is clear, they lack the social maturity and responsibility to do what it takes to keep us safe from known criminals. It would seem that the only so called courage they are capable of displaying are when they attack the ideals of innocent lawful citizens. Never so much have the lessons in George Orwell’s 1945 book “Animal Farm” been so important.

What credibility did they have to begin with? This should prove beyond all doubt that more and more laws do nothing to stop criminals - especially when the judge won't even enforce them against criminals. If I'm understanding this correctly, this kid isn't going to do a single day in jail for the dozen or so of laws he broke - the end result of which was the loss of life of a child (please correct me if I'm wrong on this). It proves the point that gun control laws are only aimed at law abiding owners and are not in the least bit an attempt at reducing crime.

You can be sure the Bradys will add this to their statisitcs, one more child killed by a gun. The kicker here is that the perpetrator was caught and then, for all intensive purposes, released with nothing but a slap on the wrist.

Criminal = We'll let you off, you're just having a bad life/day
Law Abiding Citizen = OH MY! You wrote down an O instead of a 0! Death penalty! A criminal might have gotten your gun! OMG! DIE DIE!

yeah, for anyone that already has a criminal record, has no intention of following the law and will (with 98% certainty) reoffend. it does..

as for you and I... we are still f***ed.

Stuff like this makes me sick. At least if they come to take ours. I'll say this kid took them..[smile]As for carrying without a permit. Yeah, what ever. Hey, what's a little probation anyway. Then go buy some more guns illegally and start carrying all over again. LOL.. At least fine the kid the $100.00 he owes for a permit he didn't apply for? Oh, well I feel safer with him on probation anyways.[grin]

Very nice article but who’s going to see it? I hope that GOAL plans to send this to every paper in the state.

I take exception to the story . . .

Boston and Massachusetts can NOT lose "all credibility" . . .

It's not possible since neither Boston or Massachusetts ever had any credibility on crime/gun control in the first place!

[pot]

I take exception to the story . . .

Boston and Massachusetts can NOT lose "all credibility" . . .

It's not possible since neither Boston or Massachusetts ever had any credibility on crime/gun control in the first place!

[pot]

Zing!

COme one guys, you're not poor, underprivleged inner-city youts. You're filthy, respectable middle class men! They can't HELP but be violent whereas you don't need guns for any reason whatsoever - even that filthy blood-sport hunting! Shame shame shame for even suggesting otherwise!

See boss? I got my mind right. I got my mind right boss.

maybe I'll print out a few copies and hang them up on the community bulletin boards at my local supermarkets, libraries, etc.

Hey, if Rosenthal can do it...![smile]

Jim did a great job telling this story on the NRA News Cam and Company last night. So, at least some of America heard the story.

Doesn't matter who hears it. The fact is Jim can bring this up again and again and again when the anti's propose more gun control measures. I can hear him now...

"OK, let me get this straight. You want to enact yet another law that has no expectation of saving a single life while you don't do anything about convicted felons like Jayquan McConnico who, instead of serving over 90 years under CURRENT gun laws are out free on probation because Massachusetts refuses to actually punish criminals and rather annoy the heck out of the law abiding gun owners who DO obey them. Yea-ha that makes perfect sense."

"OK, let me get this straight. You want to enact yet another law that has no expectation of saving a single life while you don't do anything about convicted felons like Jayquan McConnico who, instead of serving over 90 years under CURRENT gun laws are out free on probation because Massachusetts refuses to actually punish criminals and rather annoy the heck out of the law abiding gun owners who DO obey them. Yea-ha that makes perfect sense."

It's for the Children! This boy is just misguided and isn't likely to offend again. The law-abiding citizens, are likely to especially after we're through with turning them into a criminal!

Remember it is NOT in the best interest of the police department to get rid of crime and criminals. If they did how could they hire so many police and how could so many of them rack up so much over time?

So the police must ENCOURAGE crime!

Okay, I'm taking that more from my thoughts of BATFE than really know if the police are like that.

Well written article. I would love to see it get some exposure. The Glob's not going to publish it. Boston TV won't run it. Any chance radio would give you the time of day?

I borrowed some of GOAL's text

Governor Deval Patrick
Massachusetts State House
Room 360
Boston, MA 02133

Dear Governor Patrick,

As a licensed firearm owner I am deeply disappointed in the recent verdict handed down in the recent case against the person responsible for the death of Liquarry Jefferson.

As you may know, his older brother Jayquan McConnico used an illegally obtained, illegally possessed and illegally stored loaded handgun and killed his brother. Recently McConnico was brought before Juvenile Court.

Reports state that the young man faced thirty years in prison for his actions. The violation of Massachusetts storage laws alone (Chapter 140; Section 131L) could have brought him more than ten years in prison. Sadly the decision handed down by the court remanded him to Department of Youth Services custody, a nine year concurrent probation and a two year suspended sentence for misleading police. The court also ordered that the defendant get a high school diploma and a job. These “sentences” are for a young man with a known criminal record.

Please tell me how this provides any evidence that Boston and the Commonwealth are tough on criminals. Please tell me how this indicates that lawful gun owners are in any way responsible for Liquarry’s death and that more restrictive gun laws are necessary.

It seems to me that if criminals were actually punished for their crimes rather than given a slap on the wrist we may do much more to reduce crime across Massachusetts. This decision can only be interpreted as sending a message that our judicial system is a farce.

When I decided to apply for a firearms license I was required to pay for and successfully pass educational courses, provide letters of reference attesting to my character, submit to a federal background check and be fingerprinted. Since that time I have taken additional education courses at my own initiative and expense. If I move to a different town I face the prospect of losing my current license at the arbitrary and capricious whim of a chief of police simply because he doesn’t support the Constitutional right afforded me under the Second Amendment.

Why does Massachusetts continue to place undue restrictions on those in the shooting community who understand the responsibilities that go along with our chosen hobby while letting criminals roam free? When will we start enforcing the laws already on the books and punishing those who willingly and knowingly violate those laws? When will we start treating our law abiding citizens with respect and dignity? When will we require our law enforcement officers to follow the law?

Sincerely,
Karen
Wakefield, MA

Cc: Attorney General Martha Coakley
State Senator Richard Tisei
State Representative Katherine Clark
John Rosenthal, Stop Handgun Violence

Question

Great article, thanks. One question: who is "Goal?" I mean, what is the name of the person posting as Goal?

Thanks,

jv

Back
Top Bottom