• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

Bonded Warehouse: gun storage

As I understand it, the police department holds your guns for 72 hours, with the intent to ship to dowd at the end of 72 hours. That doesn't give you much time to arrange for someone with a ccw to pick up and store for you , your firearms. This is the way my town handles these situations.

In Jim's defense, I think he was trying to show the confusion of the process, and that even "honest" attempts to follow the enigmatic firearms laws of the Commonwealth
fall short of realistic; thus, the potential for abuse of personal property issues festers...

~Enbloc
which was used to buy equipment for the Police Department. Powell’s guns had spent only 11 months in police custody before the exchange, allegedly violating another law that gave Powell a full year to recover his property.

I would be very interested to see a list of what was bought and if it still is in the police department's custody or if its in some private collections

This could never happen! A little disappointed that Jim Wallace attributed this to " honest confusion."
All together now .... "Qualified Immunity". They'll win even if it is shown they broke any number of laws, because there is no prior case citing the same circumstances that establishes it was illegal / unconstitutional.

Also, the total value of the 21 guns was less than $1500 according to the story. That seems, oh, what is that word, "unlikely".

Also, the total value of the 21 guns was less than $1500 according to the story. That seems, oh, what is that word, "unlikely".

Someone's going by the price the husband told the wife he paid, as opposed to the real value of the guns.

But Jesus H Christ, that's enough to make you want to cry.

Forgive me if this is a dumb question, but who is Mr. Dowd and what is his authority?
Dowd is a FFL. He has an ad "we buy guns" in the Worcester County League of Sportsmens Club newsletter usually. I know a good friend had told me years ago never do business with him unless you want to "give away" your firearms.

A buddy of mine passed back in April. His best friend found him on the floor. When the Police came they took all the firearms and all associated ammo and parts that were present that would require a license. His best friend got in touch with the relatives and they all met at the PD the next day. The relatives signed a release to turn over to the best friend which is what my buddy wanted. The PD handed all of it over to the best friend after he did whatever paperwork needed to be done. This was in a town west of Worcester. I'm sure if it were in a city near Boston, it would've been a different story. Not every PD will hold them or send them to storage.

Back
Top Bottom