Body camera video of a police shooting.

or if the cop could've simply exited the house.

I was thinking about that. I wouldn't want to turn my back to the threat and I wouldn't want to walk backwards down the unfamiliar steps with him closing in with the knife.
I think he retreated as far as he safely could.

I was thinking about that. I wouldn't want to turn my back to the threat and I wouldn't want to walk backwards down the unfamiliar steps with him closing in with the knife.
I think he retreated as far as he safely could.

As far back as he could, yeah, I agree too.

No one here would turn their back to a threat with 2 knives. To say you would is total bullshit.

given the distance, it looks like a good shoot. As Derek said, shoot or retreat, the guy could have carved the cop in a second. One the flip side, I do think there is more tendency now to shoot first, with multiple center mass hits, rather than aim for the guys shoulder/thigh and disable/wound him. Granted, the perp could still come toward you and you fire again......[thinking]

A substantial number of "clean shoot" body camera videos of LE doing their jobs the right way were released this week.

given the distance, it looks like a good shoot. As Derek said, shoot or retreat, the guy could have carved the cop in a second. One the flip side, I do think there is more tendency now to shoot first, with multiple center mass hits, rather than aim for the guys shoulder/thigh and disable/wound him. Granted, the perp could still come toward you and you fire again......[thinking]
You've already decided that the threat is great enough that you're going to fire a gun at it, why are you trying to wound? You put the threat down to save your own life, easiest way to do that is to hit where all the organs are.

The only way an NESr is shooting a guy with a knife in the knee under stress...?

Is if he's dressed like a berm.

That just happened! Lol. I keed. I keed

Sent from my XT907 using Tapatalk

Shitty situation for all. I agree that the shooting was justified but the video makes me wonder whether non-lethal weapons would've worked or if the cop could've simply exited the house.

Wife said he was trying to kill himself. So I'm sure if he would of left and he did kill himself the LEO would be at fault for that too....

100% justified.

I also agree that if this was any NES member this thread would be exploding with kudo's for that person.

If you're coming at me with a deadly weapon like that, you'll end up staining the carpet. Can't blame the cop for not wanting to die.

I wonder what would happen to one of us civilians if that happened here. More than likely would be on trial for excessive force (more than one round) and failure to retreat

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

My guess is that the victim had mental problems.

I also think that if the cops did not shoot, he would have been stabbed.

The guy with the knife was not going to give hugs after getting to arms length.

Since he was threatening suicide, I can see him wishing for suicide by cop.

He got his wish.

i guess the taser would have be inhumane...

Never bring a knife to a gunfight or a taser to a knife fight. As many videos of tasers being effective as there are out there, many will show them being ineffective... Using a taser in close quarters with an advancing, knife wielding suspect would have been stupid. PSGWSP...

That really sucks. I really don't understand why someone would want to kill themselves for crashing a truck.

I also think that sometimes these people really don't think the cop is going to shoot them.

What a shame and a waste of life, but when a cop has his gun drawn and tells you to drop the knife or he will shoot, drop the knife.

While it's unfortunate that he got the bullets he begged for instead of the help he needed, he chose to confront an officer with a deadly weapon.

Ask and you shall receive.

That really sucks. I really don't understand why someone would want to kill themselves for crashing a truck.

I also think that sometimes these people really don't think the cop is going to shoot them.

What a shame and a waste of life, but when a cop has his gun drawn and tells you to drop the knife or he will shoot, drop the knife.

It probably wasn't as simple as a car crash. If you're reluctant to stay at the scene and exchange information, you are probably driving without a license, maybe driving drunk, maybe doing something that violates the terms of your parole, etc. I guess some people would rather die than go to prison.

The comments in the LL thread are ridiculous. Nobody seems to be able to separate the justification for the shooting and the justification for ending up in the situation in the first place.

She says there's no other way in. I don't know how long they were waiting for the guy, but IF there's nobody else in danger and IF there's no pressing reason to get the guy out short of him hurting himself, I don't see the reason for going in there and inserting yourself into a situation that increases the likelihood of a second person dying.

But that's a lot of ifs, and an otherwise good shoot from where I'm sitting. Sucks for everyone involved.

After watching this video, I have to say that the cop showed tremendous maturity, restraint and even compassion. I don't know if you notice but when the guy starts walking forward, the cop is clearly walking backwards, retreating while giving the guy repeated orders to "put the knife down".

I actually feel bad for the cop. Its one thing to have to shoot a clearly "bad" guy who is hurting people. Its an entirely different thing to have to shoot someone who may not actually be a bad guy, but is clearly using you to commit "suicide". Its gotta screw with your head.

Justified I guess but probably one of those cases where a tazer would have been sufficient

Exactly right. This was a perfect situation for the use of a taser. Pretty extreme to put 5 rounds in him. A taser would have likely been a non-lethal stop, one or two rounds would have been a potentially survivable stop, 5 rounds?

Nobody seems to be able to separate the justification for the shooting and the justification for ending up in the situation in the first place.

She says there's no other way in. I don't know how long they were waiting for the guy, but IF there's nobody else in danger and IF there's no pressing reason to get the guy out short of him hurting himself, I don't see the reason for going in there and inserting yourself into a situation that increases the likelihood of a second person dying.

I think it could be argued that it would be very likely for him to turn his anger/emotion on the female who called the cops. If there was no one else in the house, I would tend to agree.

After watching this video, I have to say that the cop showed tremendous maturity, restraint and even compassion. I don't know if you notice but when the guy starts walking forward, the cop is clearly walking backwards, retreating while giving the guy repeated orders to "put the knife down".

I actually feel bad for the cop. Its one thing to have to shoot a clearly "bad" guy who is hurting people. Its an entirely different thing to have to shoot someone who may not actually be a bad guy, but is clearly using you to commit "suicide". Its gotta screw with your head.

I agree with this 100% and applaud you for saying what I was thinking, even though we will both probably be labeled statists and boot lickers.
I think it was fairly obvious that the cop did not want to shoot that guy and bet he will spend the rest of his life wishing he had not, even though he may been justified in doing so.

Sad

Exactly right. This was a perfect situation for the use of a taser. Pretty extreme to put 5 rounds in him. A taser would have likely been a non-lethal stop, one or two rounds would have been a potentially survivable stop, 5 rounds?

Again... Taser's are not always effective and there are more than a few variables that need to line up for them to be. Let me ask you this. What would you rather have in your hands when a person of unknown mental health and unknown toxic status, (both of which can have an affect on the Taser's effectiveness) is coming at you with a knife or two? Hmmm? After you get done crapping your pants when the taser has no effect and just before the first blade comes swinging at your neck - what then? Seconds count - answer?

Survivable for who? The guy or the cop?

Shoot to stop the threat no? Guy is not right in the head, has a knife and advancing on you. One shot might not stop him from doing damage to you at that point. One or two rounds could easily be non-lethal for him, but lethal for you.

I'm all for ripping cops to shreds when they abuse their power, but when they do what you or I would (should) do in that same situation we all can't have the same reaction. It weakens our argument if we always shout the sky is falling, the sky is falling everytime there is an incident with the police.

I would say the cop may have been "justified" but he could have easily retreated from the home. I would not have pulled the trigger in that situation. The suspect did not lunge at the officer and the officer could have matched him step for step going out the door. Bad ending for everyone.

Last edited:
I would say the cop may have been "justified" but he could have easily retreated from the home. I would not have pulled the trigger in that situation. The suspect did not lunge at the officer and the officer could have matched him step for step going out the door. Bad ending for everyone.

Then what? Benny Hill theme as they run around house?

Sent from my XT907 using Tapatalk

Back
Top Bottom