Body camera video of a police shooting.

After watching this video, I have to say that the cop showed tremendous maturity, restraint and even compassion. I don't know if you notice but when the guy starts walking forward, the cop is clearly walking backwards, retreating while giving the guy repeated orders to "put the knife down".

I actually feel bad for the cop. Its one thing to have to shoot a clearly "bad" guy who is hurting people. Its an entirely different thing to have to shoot someone who may not actually be a bad guy, but is clearly using you to commit "suicide". Its gotta screw with your head.

+1

I'm all for ripping cops to shreds when they abuse their power, but when they do what you or I would (should) do in that same situation we all can't have the same reaction. It weakens our argument if we always shout the sky is falling, the sky is falling everytime there is an incident with the police.

Fair point. If I had a guy coming at me with a knife it would be 4-5 rounds, not 2.

Shitty situation for all. I agree that the shooting was justified but the video makes me wonder whether non-lethal weapons would've worked or if the cop could've simply exited the house.

Why should the cop exit the house? He is paid to be in those situations, if he left the house then what? Let the guy come outside and maybe add other people into the mix, no way. He did his job and deserves credit for it

believe it or not, not all departments have tasers; and its easy to sit here and "Monday morning quarterback" the situation, but none of you know how you would handle something like that. Its just like a self defense situation, everyone can sit there and say "oh I would run to my safe and get my shotgun and hide my children while someone is kicking down my door", but you don't know how it will happen till it happens. Being a LEO I have gone to multiple training classes where we are taught and shown the "21 Foot rule" when it comes to knives. in the time it takes to un holster your firearm and get a shot off the suspect with the knife is already on top of you stabbing you. And kevlar wont stop knives either. So with the suspect being within 10 ft of the officer he posed a huge threat. if he wants to charge the officer he could have been on top of him within seconds. and bullets dont stop someone like in the movies. He could have been shot twice or three time and still charge the officer and stab him. Yes there was a door behind him. But in a high stress situation like that, where your facing the threat of death that thought slips your mind. And did he have to enter the house? Well the wife said he was threatening to kill himself. The officer couldnt have stood there while the guy killed himself he had to do something.

I think your post absolutely sums it up. There are infinite what-ifs, but in order to retreat you can clearly see from the video that the officer would have to turn his back to make a swift exit out that door without taking on undue risk of tripping. His odds of escape or subduing the suspect at that point severely diminish. Better believe that kid's adrenal gland was blowing gaskets too...

- - - Updated - - -

Fair point. If I had a guy coming at me with a knife it would be 4-5 rounds, not 2.
Up to 7 in New York. Then you're screwed when unknown guy#2 comes round the corner.

Then what? Benny Hill theme as they run around house?

Sent from my XT907 using Tapatalk

No, If the suspect kept marching towards the door then that is the point I would pull the trigger to avoid your Benny Hill analogy.

It seems as if cops are too quick to shoot in a lot of circumstances. They don't have time to be bothered with trying to calm the situation down. There was another officer available, one of them could have had a tazer on the suspect the other one a firearm. If option A fails, THEN go to option B.

Either way what is done is done. The officer was justified but I wouldn't say it was the right choice.

Looks fine to me. The LEO did a nice job from beginning to end. I can't see how anyone could question any of it conditional on the LEO having a good reason to be there in the first place (and it seems he did have good reason).

Justified yes but 5 shots. That guy was trigger happy

People can still advance towards you after being shot. Let me guess, you would have done a much better job, right? Easy to say when you are sitting behind a computer.

You can Monday Morning QB this all you want if it makes you feel better.

Since I've been living in this area I can say that it was a good shoot. The officer and the CdA PD are professional. The different agencies out here don't get all JBT like I see in the east. A few years ago a citizen with a CWP (that's what they're called here) stopped a robbery with his pistol. The CdA PD stated in the news article that the citizen did the right thing and had an awards ceremony for him.

I still have ties to the northeast so I like to keep tabs on what's going on up there. I can tell you the last two areas I've lived in the police have a completely different mentality than they do in the east. My friend in CT tells me some horror stories so I tell him about the last two states I've lived in to let him know its not bad everywhere.

Why at the door? Why is that your bright-line?

It would have given the officer a chance for safety and the suspect may have backed down once the officer was out of HIS house.

"Hey you don't try to kill yourself! That's it, I'm going to kill you so you can't kill yourself."

There is really no point in arguing this. Opinions are like *******s, everyone has one and we both feel as if the other smells like shit. If you want shoot me a PM we'll meet up and get a coffee and talk about it.

It sucked all around. I feel sorry for the cop. He sounded compassionate. He was trying to talk the guy down before he got in the room.

Maybe he could have waited for a second man in, but it still would have ended the same way.

I'm a big fan of these body cams. I predict that we'll see a reduction of overall police misbehavior. Hopefully less dog shootings too...well maybe that's too much wishful thinking. We'll also see a lot more of the lowlife crap that cops have to deal with, which is what gives them the "just get home alive mentality."

Can't find anything wrong with the cop's actions here. Yes, a taser would have helped, but then again, too many cops use that as a punishment tool.

Im no fan of overzealous cops with guns, but I don't see what choice the officer had here - I kind of feel bad for him.

- - - Updated - - -

This - keep in mind, this is the same rationale the jury would be presented with if any of US had to fire on someone. Gee, Mr. AngelKing, did you REALLY need to fire ALL 6 shots in your revolver?

People can still advance towards you after being shot. Let me guess, you would have done a much better job, right? Easy to say when you are sitting behind a computer.

You can Monday Morning QB this all you want if it makes you feel better.

This - keep in mind, this is the same rationale the jury would be presented with if any of US had to fire on someone. Gee, Mr. AngelKing, did you REALLY need to fire ALL 6 shots in your revolver?

The mother in Georgia did not too long ago.

I know what you are saying but you can argue that you had to use five rounds which is what it took for him to go down. If the Cop empty his mag then Id be the first to say that it was too much.

Anyhow, we are all different and would react to the same scenario differently.

"Hey you don't try to kill yourself! That's it, I'm going to kill you so you can't kill yourself."

But that's really not the choices at that point. He wasn't sitting in a chair twiddling his thumbs deciding which of his own wrists to slit.

Opiinions may be like *******s, but I'm a police firearms instructor, use of force law instructor, and force on force simulations instructor who puts people in these positions in training to help work through these types of decisions. That's the ******* I am in this discussion. What kind are you?

Sent from my XT907 using Tapatalk

Homeboy was zombie walking towards the cop, not saying anything - creep factor goes way up if Im the guy with the gun and honestly, if you're committing to the fight, you're panicking said guy with gun - don't be shocked if you get the full volley of what's in the magazine.

Justified yes but 5 shots. That guy was trigger happy

You shoot until the guy drops or stops his attack. When the guy dropped, the cop stopped shooting. That;s self defense 101.

Unlike some videos of cowboy cops, this guy clearly does NOT want to shoot.

If only Joe Biden were there. He could have offed a couple of shots in the air with his double barrel 12Ga which would have resolved the situation with no loss of life.

Last edited:
Personally would have thought less of the cop (given what I can see on the video) if he let the guy stab him.
I would have done the same if I had the gun and some guy with a knife was coming at me. /shrug

StevensMarksman

I see nothing wrong with what the cop did, he told the guy several times and even backed up, he gave the guy all the time in the world to drop the knife, it wasnt a shoot first drop the weapon second situation. Anyone here would have done the exact same thing

The cop did what he was trained to do. The person had a deadly weapon and was proceeding towards the officer. Shoot, and shoot multiple times until he stops advancing towards you. It is automatic. It is the training.

As a civillian, I would probably try to back off before and shoot only if I could not back off, assuming he is closing in to 12 feet. I would try to do one shot, wait 2 seconds, and if he does not drop, I'd keep on shooting. This is only if the deadly weapon is a knife or similar.

Of course, I am fully aware I am talking as an armchair shooter, and I have no idea what I would do in reality if I faced that situation.

The cop did what he was trained to do. The person had a deadly weapon and was proceeding towards the officer. Shoot, and shoot multiple times until he stops advancing towards you. It is automatic. It is the training.

As a civillian, I would probably try to back off before and shoot only if I could not back off, assuming he is closing in to 12 feet. I would try to do one shot, wait 2 seconds, and if he does not drop, I'd keep on shooting. This is only if the deadly weapon is a knife or similar.

Of course, I am fully aware I am talking as an armchair shooter, and I have no idea what I would do in reality if I faced that situation.

Myself I wouldn't wait for him to get to 12 feet of me. It only takes a second for someone to lunge 21 feet to you. The FBI is thinking about increasing the 21 foot rule to 30 feet now. The fire 1 or 2 shots and reassess is great for the square range where paper doesn't shoot back. In real life you shoot until the threat is no longer one taking as many shots as needed. It's foolish to even think about using tasers or OC to stop someone with a deadly weapon.

Here's another one for you. It's also ok to use lethal force against someone that is trying to use a taser/stun device or OC against you. This is because their goal is to incapacitate you and make you at their mercy. Just like at your home and someone comes in who isn't suppose to be there, that person isn't using those tools or there to say hi or give you cookies.

I say let the guy cut himself all he wants. It is his right and choice. The second he begins to move in the direction of the cop with a knife, well....that is a different story. All bets are off. Now the cop has to put the situation behind and move on, or live with the question whether or not he could have done something different. Even if you get 1000 reasons justifying your actions, you will always have that burning question, what if.... No winners. Only victims.

After having a little bit of time to think about this(which I realize the cop didn't) I do somewhat disagree with this. When the officer arrives the lady(not sure the relation) says he is in the house. The guy is alone in there so no other life is in danger at this point. So my question would be why enter the house at this point? You can't see him but you are told he is armed. Providing there is no other exit from the apartment wouldn't the right thing to do be to close the door and wait for everyone to show up. Maybe give the guy time to cool off instead the cop entered and further agitated a man he was already informed is in the house and wants to harm himself. By entering the home the cop basically guaranteed that the guy was going to die(not necessarily intentionally). Upon further revue I think that he should have just closed the door and said we are waiting for crisis management if he kills himself he kills himself in the mean time.

Glockstones - I struggled with the same thoughts. If the guy is alone in the house and there is only one entrance, why not just hang back. I say this with FULL understanding that it is easy to armchair quarterback this sitting on the couch. The cop didn't have the luxury of time.

I think his primary concern was the guy would go out the back of the house. He wanted to get eyes on the guy to ensure he didn't go hurt someone else. You can hear him asking about back doors and windows.

If there is one thing that is obvious here is that this cop was not a gun happy JBT. He was under enormous pressure and reacted as well as I could imagine anyone reacting. You can hear in the audio, he is concerned about the guy going out the back. Before he shoots, your focus will be on the guy, but pay attention to the background. The cop is moving BACKWARDS trying to avoid shooting the guy. This is not the behavior of some jack booted swat guy who has trained to always move forward and just roll over anyone or anything that gets in his way.

The irony of course is if the guy had charged him and cut him before getting shot, we'd all be saying that the cop should have shot sooner. In my opinion this is about as clean a shoot as you will ever see.

Last edited:
After having a little bit of time to think about this(which I realize the cop didn't) I do somewhat disagree with this. When the officer arrives the lady(not sure the relation) says he is in the house. The guy is alone in there so no other life is in danger at this point. So my question would be why enter the house at this point? You can't see him but you are told he is armed. Providing there is no other exit from the apartment wouldn't the right thing to do be to close the door and wait for everyone to show up. Maybe give the guy time to cool off instead the cop entered and further agitated a man he was already informed is in the house and wants to harm himself. By entering the home the cop basically guaranteed that the guy was going to die(not necessarily intentionally). Upon further revue I think that he should have just closed the door and said we are waiting for crisis management if he kills himself he kills himself in the mean time.

I tend to agree with you...

Back
Top Bottom