• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

Black Gun Owners

garandman

Instructor
NES Member
From a Colin Noir link.

http://www.mcclatchydc.com/news/crime/article89859017.html

WASHINGTON
In February 2015, Philip Smith started a Facebook group to make space for the often-overlooked concerns of law-abiding, license-carrying gun owners who happen to be African-American.

Smith was tired of feeling conspicuous as the only black guy at the gun ranges he visited. Surely, he thought, there must be others out there, dealing with the same suspicions he faced when passersby glimpsed the Glock on his hip.

A year and a half later, Smith counts more than 11,000 members, representing all 50 states.

Smith’s forum reflects what researchers see as growing interest among African Americans in gun ownership. But becoming a black licensed gun owner is not a risk-free prospect, a fact brought to light this month by the police shooting of Philando Castile, who had a permit to carry a concealed weapon when he was shot in his car July 6, and by the presence at a Dallas rally of perhaps 30 marchers July 7 openly carrying their rifles. Dallas police mistakenly labeled a black licensed gun owner as a “person of interest” after gunman opened fire, killing five police officers.

Last edited:
Thread title made me think this involved owners of AR-15s.

Not all AR-15's are black:

ar15-barbie.jpg

i think there is something to be said for the black fear of police. I mean, but for the grace of God go I. ANYONE of us could be at a traffic stop, have the cop say "I see you have an LTC, Are you carrying a gun?", and when we say "Yes officer, i am exercising my constitutional right to carry"...have our heads blown off too. I do not think white vs black skinned citizen really matters all that much....there is a fear of ANYONE carrying a gun, and if cops can get away with blowing our heads off because "they felt threatened" with NO BASIS for that.....we are ALL at risk.

Any way we can make CCW safer for ALL Americans...i am all for that.

http://www.chicagotribune.com/news/nationworld/ct-black-gun-owners-castile-acquittal-20170617-story.html

Last edited:
Kudos. The firearms community needs to try and include and welcome diversity as much as is possible. To many people associate gun ownership with just white males.
I have run into several black members at my club who were nice guys, and more importantly, they where all teaching young folks to shoot and gun safety.

I do not think white vs black skinned citizen really matters all that much
I think the difference is huge. As a middle aged white guy, I expect the thought to be "Need to be careful, but this guy may have a license" whereas with a younger black make the thought is likely to be "Fat change this person has an LTC, this scumbag could be trouble".

Racial stereotypes are still very much alive, and even people who do not think of themselves as racist can succumb to them.

I think the difference is huge. As a middle aged white guy, I expect the thought to be "Need to be careful, but this guy may have a license" whereas with a younger black make the thought is likely to be "Fat change this person has an LTC, this scumbag could be trouble".

Racial stereotypes are still very much alive, and even people who do not think of themselves as racist can succumb to them.

THIS

I would also not be surprised if even Black LEOs sometimes also carry these stereotypes.

i think there is something to be said for the black fear of police. I mean, but for the grace of God go I. ANYONE of us could be at a traffic stop, have the cop say "I see you have an LTC, Are you carrying a gun?", and when we say "Yes officer, i am exercising my constitutional right to carry"...have our heads blow off too. I do not think white vs black skinned citizen really matters all that much....there is a fear of ANYONE carrying a gun, and if cops can get away with blowing our heads off because "they felt threatened" with NO BASIS for that.....we are ALL at risk.

Any way we can make CCW safer for ALL Americans...i am all for that.

http://www.chicagotribune.com/news/nationworld/ct-black-gun-owners-castile-acquittal-20170617-story.html

This is why I like the laws here in N.C. LE cannot ask if your carrying a weapon or ask to see your carry license unless you are the subject that is being investigated for a crime. Charges have been tossed by the courts because an individual was asked for a license while concealed carrying without a license. Even at a traffic stop, LE cannot ask if your carrying or if you have a permit.

I would also not be surprised if even Black LEOs sometimes also carry these stereotypes.

I've read a number of accounts where they said that black LEOs were WORSE than the white cops were.

It was attributed to the fact that the black cops KNEW damn well that some of the ghetto trash they had to deal with didn't have to be that way (because they themselves had escaped it) - therefore they had less tolerance for the behavior.

Another factor was that the black cops felt they were stereotyped because of their skin color - because of the ACTIONS of so many other people of their skin color .

Stereotypes exist for a reason. The last few years there's been a whole bunch of black people that seem to be working overtime to demonstrate that fact.

It depends. In MA, where LTCs are rare and difficult to obtain, I would agree with you. However, when I was down in GA last October I went to Moss Pawn (home of IV8888) and saw a ghetto looking black dude (wife beater, pants barely above his knees, etc) open carrying in the store - no one, including me, really bat an eyelid.

It's sort of how at my previous house the entire neighborhood was white with a few Hispanics mixed in so seeing a black guy walking down the street was suspicious. At my current place, my neighbors across the street are black so seeing someone black is literally no different than someone white. It all depends.

Last edited:
Kudos. The firearms community needs to try and include and welcome diversity as much as is possible. To many people associate gun ownership with just white males.
I have run into several black members at my club who were nice guys, and more importantly, they where all teaching young folks to shoot and gun safety.

Gun owners may be the most inclusive group of all. While acknowledging diversity, we actually embrace inclusion. For some, it's too much of one without the other.

In Massachusetts all my tenants are Hispanic or Black, and all are legal gun owners.
In New Hampshire all my Hispanic, Black, White, and other tenants, are all legal gun owners.

To be fair, 40% of cop killers are black with blacks being only being around 13% of the population. I dont know how many are women, but if you would agree that most of the killers were men, then its 40% of cops being killed by a group that makes up only around 6.5% of the population.

Sucks to be a decent guy who is stereotyped, but stereotypes dont just appear out of thin air.

To be fair, 40% of cop killers are black with blacks being only being around 13% of the population. I dont know how many are women, but if you would agree that most of the killers were men, then its 40% of cops being killed by a group that makes up only around 6.5% of the population.

Sucks to be a decent guy who is stereotyped, but stereotypes dont just appear out of thin air.

A valid point, its also why a black officer is just as likely to shoot a yuong armed black male as a white officer.

Gun owners may be the most inclusive group of all. While acknowledging diversity, we actually embrace inclusion. For some, it's too much of one without the other.
I agree. I'm a brown dude. Gun enthusiasts have never ostracized me or been anything other than perfectly friendly.

As far as more legal black gun owners go, i think that's great. I think we need as many people as possible to get "woke" to taking responsibility for themselves,and that's a step in the right direction.

Sent from my SM-N910P using Tapatalk

This is why I like the laws here in N.C. LE cannot ask if your carrying a weapon or ask to see your carry license unless you are the subject that is being investigated for a crime. Charges have been tossed by the courts because an individual was asked for a license while concealed carrying without a license. Even at a traffic stop, LE cannot ask if your carrying or if you have a permit.

I'd love to see the cite on this, especially considering our duty to inform in NC. Also, LE can easily see that you have a permit when running your info at a traffic stop. I've had a Buncombe County Sherrif come back to my window and start going apeshit at me for not telling him I had a cc permit even though I wasn't carrying.

This is a narrative that many (white) liberal folks can't seem to grasp or unwilling to entertain.
When you are fighting for the second amendment to are fighting for civil rights and individual liberties.
People get really hung up on guns, but it isn't about guns (even when it is about guns).

I have to admit that when I first started to pursue gun ownership, I didn't really care about the particulars of the gun control debate and 2A rights.
However having gone through the gauntlet for getting licensed and learning about wildly complicated laws involved with ownership, I became "woke" to the staggering problems and inequities here in the People's Republic of Masslandia.

The majority of folks in my social and professional circle would be classified as "hyper-liberal" with sprinkles of "full-blown libtard" and at first I was very reluctant to discuss 2A issues for fear of being ostracized, but not anymore. It's remarkable how when one simply lays out the REALITY of the state of gun control and legislation to "anti's" how quickly you can cut through the lies and media distortion and open there eyes to the underlying issues of basic civil rights.
My minority and LGBQ+@#^ friends have no problem grasping and supporting these issues since they are intimately familiar with them on almost every other front.

This is reason why I encourage everyone not to be a closeted gun owner. It's fine to join the NRA, send money to GOAL, and sign a online petition but this is a battle for hearts and minds and if the only perspective that people get is what they see/hear/read in the media we are not going to win. Talk to people and actually have a conversation.

Also now is the time to start holding our politicians to their word about supporting the 2nd.
The fact that there hasn't been much movement on yet since November is discouraging at the very least.
The only reason that things like the HPA (or SHARE) don't get passed immediately is political spinelessness.

Rental requriement?
Ability to pay the rent

LOL

- - - Updated - - -

Cite/valid source ?

This is a narrative that many (white) liberal folks can't seem to grasp or unwilling to entertain.
When you are fighting for the second amendment to are fighting for civil rights and individual liberties.
People get really hung up on guns, but it isn't about guns (even when it is about guns).

I have to admit that when I first started to pursue gun ownership, I didn't really care about the particulars of the gun control debate and 2A rights.
However having gone through the gauntlet for getting licensed and learning about wildly complicated laws involved with ownership, I became "woke" to the staggering problems and inequities here in the People's Republic of Masslandia.

The majority of folks in my social and professional circle would be classified as "hyper-liberal" with sprinkles of "full-blown libtard" and at first I was very reluctant to discuss 2A issues for fear of being ostracized, but not anymore. It's remarkable how when one simply lays out the REALITY of the state of gun control and legislation to "anti's" how quickly you can cut through the lies and media distortion and open there eyes to the underlying issues of basic civil rights.
My minority and LGBQ+@#^ friends have no problem grasping and supporting these issues since they are intimately familiar with them on almost every other front.

This is reason why I encourage everyone not to be a closeted gun owner. It's fine to join the NRA, send money to GOAL, and sign a online petition but this is a battle for hearts and minds and if the only perspective that people get is what they see/hear/read in the media we are not going to win. Talk to people and actually have a conversation.

Also now is the time to start holding our politicians to their word about supporting the 2nd.
The fact that there hasn't been much movement on yet since November is discouraging at the very least.
The only reason that things like the HPA (or SHARE) don't get passed immediately is political spinelessness.

This is pretty simple.

If you don't have the ability to defend your very life - what other rights do you REALLY have?

In slave holding societies - or societies where some people are "higher" class than others and the LAW is structured to support that class structure - it is very often the case that "lower" classes or slaves - simply have no legal right to their own lives.

So when "liberals" argue against the right to own weaponry to defend one's life - they are arguing FOR a societal and legal structure like those societies had.

I suppose it gets complicated when you consider what has been going on the last few years where there are so many so-called liberals who have been acting anything but - and have basically been arguing for the re-institution of a legal system that recognizes there are different classes of people - some entitled to protection - and some NOT.

Back
Top Bottom