Black Gun Owners

That's a lousy article. The NRA is always slow to make a public response, and never defends anybody shot by the police.

When the police gunned down Erik Scott back in 2012, the NRA was similarly silent, but since Erik Scott was a white guy, the only people who called out the NRA for ignoring the case was the membership of the NRA; almost no media coverage. Same goes for William E. Bartlett.
This

Sent from my SM-N910P using Tapatalk

That's a lousy article. The NRA is always slow to make a public response, and never defends anybody shot by the police.

When the police gunned down Erik Scott back in 2012, the NRA was similarly silent, but since Erik Scott was a white guy, the only people who called out the NRA for ignoring the case was the membership of the NRA; almost no media coverage. Same goes for William E. Bartlett.

So, in 2017, you've bought-into the narrative that 10% of a group decides whether (or NOT) the other 90% get representation and a voice? LEOs are now a 'special' class of people, with different rights than your own?

Maybe somebody at the NRA should get a Twitter account...or Facebook....or something that can communicate with the modern world in real-time. I noticed they didn't have any problem voicing their opinions PDQ when Obama was in-office....I guess having targets on the backs of CCP holders, Nationwide, doesn't resonate with dues-payers?

So, in 2017, you've bought-into the narrative that 10% of a group decides whether (or NOT) the other 90% get representation and a voice? LEOs are now a 'special' class of people, with different rights than your own?

Maybe somebody at the NRA should get a Twitter account...or Facebook....or something that can communicate with the modern world in real-time. I noticed they didn't have any problem voicing their opinions PDQ when Obama was in-office....I guess having targets on the backs of CCP holders, Nationwide, doesn't resonate with dues-payers?

...guess having targets on the backs of CCP holders

[rolleyes]

I don't think it's inaccurate to say that the NRA is dedicated to protecting gun consumers, rather than gun owners. They're an industry lobby. Yes, membership among gun owners is very high and, for practical reasons, that makes sense. It doesn't mean that they actually give a shit about individuals who own guns, though.

Second, there is no person named, "The NRA". Its made up of individuals, and individuals can be racist or not racist. Yes, part of the root of gun control laws was racism from the left, but let's also not pretend that gun owners don't have a healthy population of racist *******s in our midst. "The NRA" isn't racist, but individuals within the NRA surely are.

10% of NRA memebrs are LE, 22% of NRA board is LE, majority are biased in favor of LE

22% of the NRA board are current or former law enforcement, 30% are current or former military, 25 percent are current or former federal, state, or local lawmakers or officials, and many have strong ties to manufacturers. There's some overlap, at least half the board has a vested interest in maintaining the NRA's "Pro Police" bias.

I don't think it's inaccurate to say that the NRA is dedicated to protecting gun consumers, rather than gun owners. They're an industry lobby. Yes, membership among gun owners is very high and, for practical reasons, that makes sense. It doesn't mean that they actually give a shit about individuals who own guns, though.
You're about 10% correct -- the NRA isn't great about representing members interests (the board is basically full of celebrities, people in the gun industry, and folk with LE/Mil backgrounds and it is very difficult to get on the ballot), but the NRA is not the gun manufacturer's lobby. You're thinking of the NSSF, the actual "industry lobby".

The NRA is funded almost entirely by individual membership dues, and the NRA-ILA is funded by separately collected donations from individuals -- neither organization is funded by the gun industry.
gn_JJh_JO.png

Yeah, I've "bought-into" something called reality. Look into it before you go insulting people.

Last edited:
You're about 10% correct -- the NRA isn't great about representing members interests (the board is basically full of celebrities, people in the gun industry, and folk with LE/Mil backgrounds and it is very difficult to get on the ballot), but the NRA is not the gun manufacturer's lobby. You're thinking of the NSSF, the actual "industry lobby".

The NRA is funded almost entirely by individual membership dues, and the NRA-ILA is funded by separately collected donations from individuals -- neither organization is funded by the gun industry.

They do get a lot of funding from members, it's true, but its not as simple as that pie chart makes it appear either. As you point out the ILA is funded separately. They get significant funding from retailers...the oft-quoted figures from Midway, etc.

While funding may be divided up, that doesn't necessarily mean priorities are completely separate.

I mean, the proof is in the pudding. Does the NRA really come accross as an organization which is funded primarily by and beholden to gun owners? They do sponsor a lot of great programs, for sure, but I also don't buy that their lack of defending members is just an accident or due to law enforcement bias.

At least they finally realized that MA is, in fact, a state in America. Took a while.

Part of the problem with this incident is the identity politics have gone full retard; EG, if you're with the NRA you must be raycist and 110% pro cop all the time. Or that if you are of the mind that the police have committed an injustice against someone, that you have to be a dumbass marching around with a sign that says "Cops are pigs, fry them like bacon" or some other horseshit. Both "sides" in these kinds of things, are absolutely disgusting and mind numbing in stupidity.

There is absolutely no acknowledgement of the fact that someone can generally support law enforcement while decrying acts of abuse by law enforcement.

What's also disturbing about this is nobody seems to give a shit when there's an LE abuse against someone with the wrong skin color or ethnic background. These people getting pissed off about Castile, by definition they should probably also be livid about what happened to Jose Guerena or a bunch of other people like him- but apparently, their skin isn't dark enough or some horseshit. The whole thing just disgusts me.

-Mike

LEOs are now a 'special' class of people, with different rights than your own?
Yes
board is basically full of celebrities, people in the gun industry, and folk with LE/Mil backgrounds and it is very difficult to get on the ballot
The NRA tells members who to vote for and they tend to listen. Unless you are "nominating committee endorsed", you are wasting your time running. It is as close to a rigged election as you can get and still have balloting.

Every time I get a ballot, I look at who does not have committee endorsement and vote for them.

22% of the NRA board are current or former law enforcement, 30% are current or former military, 25 percent are current or former federal, state, or local lawmakers or officials, and many have strong ties to manufacturers. There's some overlap, at least half the board has a vested interest in maintaining the NRA's "Pro Police" bias.
And 100% have been selected by the nominating committee for conformity., plus their re-election is dependent on nominating committee endorsement.
What was the MA Katrina bill?
A law that would have specifically prohibited gun confiscations in states of emergency. The police killed it because there was a penalty imposed on LE for violating it.

There is absolutely no acknowledgement of the fact that someone can generally support law enforcement while decrying acts of abuse by law enforcement.

-Mike

I like to think of myself in this category. Yeah I sometimes enjoy trolling in the cop bashing threads, but there are few things that enrage me more than people who abuse authority with impunity.

I would like the NRA to make a general statement about these cases and condemn the fact that there are different standards for police shooting and those of a regular joe.

I understand that we ask the police to put themselves in dangerous situations on a daily basis and that sometimes shit goes sideways and mistakes are made. When that happens, I don't want to see an otherwise good cop go to prison for it. If their judgement is questionable, they need to find a new line of work however. I think the same standard should apply to Joe citizen also.

This is also a result of the shit training they get these days. Everyone you meet is not a threat. You can be on alert without pulling your gun every time a car door opens on a stop.

The Castile shooting was an egregious display of cowardice and poor judgement. Do I think the cop should be in prison for it? I don't really know. It would depend on what was actually going through his head at the moment. I do think he should never touch a gun or have any position of authority ever again in his life.

Last edited:
At the range I go to in Greensboro NC, I see people across the spectrum every time I go. It is quite rare for there to be only one black person. Nobody judges.
Braintree Rifle & Pistol has a decent # of new black gun owners at each new member meeting.

When I went to the range test in Boston last time, 7 of the 11 lanes were black folks compared to one or two in years past. I'm encouraged that black people are choosing to exercise their rights.

"Some say freedom is free,
But I beg to disagree
'Cause our freedom was won,
From the barrel of a gun."

i think there is something to be said for the black fear of police. I mean, but for the grace of God go I. ANYONE of us could be at a traffic stop, have the cop say "I see you have an LTC, Are you carrying a gun?", and when we say "Yes officer, i am exercising my constitutional right to carry"...have our heads blown off too. I do not think white vs black skinned citizen really matters all that much....there is a fear of ANYONE carrying a gun, and if cops can get away with blowing our heads off because "they felt threatened" with NO BASIS for that.....we are ALL at risk.

Any way we can make CCW safer for ALL Americans...i am all for that.

Black gun owners worried by acquittal in Castile shooting
Highly unlikely if you don't do anything stupid, don't cop an attitude, and obey the officer completely. In every single video of someone getting shot, the victim is mouthing off, disobeying the cop, and doing really stupid stuff like reaching for phones, putting their hands in dangerous places, and resisting.

Highly unlikely if you don't do anything stupid, don't cop an attitude, and obey the officer completely. In every single video of someone getting shot, the victim is mouthing off, disobeying the cop, and doing really stupid stuff like reaching for phones, putting their hands in dangerous places, and resisting.
You bumped a >5 year old thread for this?

I didn't think to check the date. I thought if it was close to the top of the forum list, it was pretty new.
Guess I need to check dates or look for the cobwebs in the forum room.

there are PLENTY parts of the country where they officer does not give a black guy the CHANCE to comply.
one thing leads to the other sometimes. If it were us, we would not be taking perpetual crap either

I didn't think to check the date. I thought if it was close to the top of the forum list, it was pretty new.
Guess I need to check dates or look for the cobwebs in the forum room.
Outstanding Necrothread resurrection!

Joined the Black Gun Owners Association for a year, and sent the guy a note saying “I’m an old white guy in Boston but wanted to support your efforts.”

Got back a hand-written thank you note from the founder! All I got from NRA was junk mail and solicitations for more money.

Back
Top Bottom