• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

Big shoutout to Neil Tassel

photo.net

still exists, but in much more gussied up presentation now.
Four bookmarks:
  • One to the front page. (Not that I ever read it).
  • Three to specific pages/articles/subfora. All three are broken links.
They gussied up web site with content so awesome that they break permalinks
to keep you browsing for even more nuggets that they will then move out of sight.
[angry]

... I stand by my comment that a MA Court (state court) will not provide lawyers fees to the winner as part of the judgement. ...
DONALD P. BATCHELDER vs. ALLIED STORES CORPORATION & another. 393 Mass. 819

... For the reasons stated below, we remand this matter to the​
Superior Court for assessment of reasonable attorneys' fees.​
So ordered.​

Good for you and it sucks that you were put through the ringer for a health emergency. Nice to know in advance if a cop is having a health emergency, then wait for him/her to become unconscious and take their gun and drop in the middle of the road and let the cop get charged with unlawful storage, endangering minors, etc. What a world we live in. In any other state you probably could have gone to your local PD after getting out of the hospital and they would have handed your guns back and you could have drove home happy.
I think the answer is to not call the authorities, period. I had a very small fire in my home when an electrical device burned. I called the FD to ventilate my home to get rid of the smoke, and both the PD and FD showed up. The level of inspection, questioning and nosing around, along with the condescending attitude made me decide to never let them in my house or on my property again.

And since the police rarely do anything useful in this day and age, it’s no great sacrifice.

Haven't thought about it that way at all. You'd think they would actually care about people.
Reading the book, Arrest Proof Yourself was illuminating to gain an understanding of how police operate, and how to deal with them. They do a necessary and very difficult job, but they have unlimited power to ruin your life.

The two key points are don’t do things that attract their attention, and if you do attract attention, be obsequiously polite, obey their orders and keep your mouth shut as much as you can.

I think the answer is to not call the authorities, period. I had a very small fire in my home when an electrical device burned. I called the FD to ventilate my home to get rid of the smoke, and both the PD and FD showed up. The level of inspection, questioning and nosing around, along with the condescending attitude made me decide to never let them in my house or on my property again.

And since the police rarely do anything useful in this day and age, it’s no great sacrifice.
How does that work when you are having chest pains or one sided weakness?

But do remember, even though you called them, they need consent to enter your house. Best to have your family trained - close other doors, be polite but assertive about denying entry if other responders start to wander. They do make an effort to notice things - when I was the target of an ambulance call, the EMTs stopped to examine my wifes DNP nursing diploma hanging in the hallway.

I have multiple lockable doors in my place - basement, master bedroom, a closet, etc. This is not in anticipation for use in the above scenario, but so I can leave a contractor unattended while granting access on a "need" basis. No need for a painter or someone working on my kitchen needs basement access. But, locked doors can be used for properly herding first responders to the area of medical need.

So now I'm back in business and I have my license and goods back in my possession with no piano hovering over me and it feels great to have it all wrapped up.
That's inflation for you -- back in the day it was the “Sword of Damocles”- now it's grand piano .

Congrats on getting through that unnecessary BS ordeal, and for the name of this great counselor, who I was quite ignorant of prior to this post ! [cheers]

I put an electronic lock on my reloading room door. It will not open for nosy police without warrant and rest of the house is clean. You’ve got to be prepared for hostile gov people to search your property without your consent. As of notion for police to consent the entry- may be it is how they would approach that entering pelosis house. Your house they will enter by breaking the front door by force.

I put an electronic lock on my reloading room door. It will not open for nosy police without warrant and rest of the house is clean. You’ve got to be prepared for hostile gov people to search your property without your consent. As of notion for police to consent the entry- may be it is how they would approach that entering pelosis house. Your house they will enter by breaking the front door by force.
Oxymoron alert.

But it does make arguing "he consented to the search" a bit more difficult.

Oxymoron alert.

But it does make arguing "he consented to the search" a bit more difficult.
it will be much more easier for them to knock out the front door than this reenforced door and lock i made in the basement. it will take them to destroy the wall to break out those steel plates.
not if i would expect that, but, it is done, quite properly done. not a safe grade door, but, not anything you can open by forcing your shoulder in.

anything can be broken in, of course - with enough determination.

it will be much more easier for them to knock out the front door than this reenforced door and lock i made in the basement. it will take them to destroy the wall to break out those steel plates.
not if i would expect that, but, it is done, quite properly done. not a safe grade door, but, not anything you can open by forcing your shoulder in.

anything can be broken in, of course.
They just have to call their friends on the FD🔥 . But, I think your approach is a good idea for numerous reasons. Sounds like it can double as a safe room in case someone breaks in and chases you around with a hammer in his underwear. And yeah, I just realized that last sentence is syntactially ambiguous.

They just have to call their friends on the FD🔥 . But, I think your approach is a good idea for numerous reasons. Sounds like it can double as a safe room in case someone breaks in and chases you around with a hammer in his underwear. And yeah, I just realized that last sentence is syntactially ambiguous.
a safe room idea was a part of it, yes.

But do remember, even though you called them, they need consent to enter your house. Best to have your family trained - close other doors, be polite but assertive about denying entry if other responders start to wander. They do make an effort to notice things - when I was the target of an ambulance call, the EMTs stopped to examine my wifes DNP nursing diploma hanging in the hallway.

I have multiple lockable doors in my place - basement, master bedroom, a closet, etc. This is not in anticipation for use in the above scenario, but so I can leave a contractor unattended while granting access on a "need" basis. No need for a painter or someone working on my kitchen needs basement access. But, locked doors can be used for properly herding first responders to the area of medical need.
Why would you call For help and deny them entry? I don’t know about emt’s but I believe police can enter without consent if a 911 call was placed…

Why would you call For help and deny them entry? I don’t know about emt’s but I believe police can enter without consent if a 911 call was placed…
Limiting what they see is the point. Not preventing them from getting to you.

“You’re only here for me, not a fishing expedition”

Tough call if the police arrive first, as they often have an AED in their car at and minimum first responder training. But if the EMTs are already treating you, and not putting their own call for emergency assistance, there is no need for them to be in your house.

This may not be well tested in MA as people needing medical help do not typically have handlers to deny consent, and the lack of objection when they enter with the ambulance crew could be taken as consent. When the 911 call says something like "I need help, someone in my house received externally induced ballistically induced subcutaneous apertures" it could be seen as an exigent circumstance not requiring a warrant, but I don't think there is a logical basis to enter if the call is something like "I am having chest pains and think is it a heart attach" of the classic "I've fallen and can't get up".

I was the recipient of a 911 called ambulance twice - once they went away after confirming I was OK; once they took me in so the hospital could run up a few thousand $$ in billables to tell me I was OK - but in neither case did the police arrive.

I had to call 911 for a possible heart attack in a residence (I was not the patient that time). Great service by EMTs and FD, police did not even bother showing up. It may be more routine for police to accompany EMTs where they face a greater risk of a situation requiring police activity

Limiting what they see is the point. Not preventing them from getting to you.

“You’re only here for me, not a fishing expedition”
Can I say from professional experiences, sometimes we have to go thru the house in order to figure out what is going on (ex: name, dob, meds, signs of failure to thrive, mechanism of injury, other residents, etc). Yes, some of us can be just nosey but most are just looking for clues when we don't get a good medical story or history.

I have multiple lockable doors in my place - basement, master bedroom, a closet, etc. This is not in anticipation for use in the above scenario, but so I can leave a contractor unattended while granting access on a "need" basis. No need for a painter or someone working on my kitchen needs basement access. But, locked doors can be used for properly herding first responders to the area of medical need

I haven't read all the pages in the middle, but is there ANY restitution that can be sought from the EMT that narc'd on you? I'd sue that bastard for civil rights violation, to start. Might not get far, but it'd at least put them on notice

Jeff Cooper actually had deadbolt-locked solid steel doors separating sleeping quarters from other areas of his home, like dining rooms, living rooms and his office, which was located on a heightened turret and accessed by a locked spiral staircase. His gun room was on the basement level, with a bank vault door securing it. The man certainly knew what he was doing and that was Arizona, probably the most gun-friendly state in the whole country.

Ive called 911 maybe 8 or 10 times in my life, never for myself thankfully. Every time I ended up wishing I hadnt. Do they purposely choose the most miserable condescending people to answer the phones? The last time was probably 4 or so years ago when I witnessed a hit and run. I was a second or two from just hanging up on the guy.

Haven't thought about it that way at all. You'd think they would actually care about people.
They care about their 20 year retirement, 80% pension, LEOSA carry benefits and lifetime full health care benefits a LOT more than they care about us lowly "civilians", that's for sure!

They care about their 20 year retirement, 80% pension, LEOSA carry benefits and lifetime full health care benefits a LOT more than they care about us lowly "civilians", that's for sure!
In the words of a very pro-gun NJ sheriff's deputy regarding someone shooting a .22 rifle: "If I came across it on patrol, I would have counselled him on NJ gun laws, but it was called in so there was a record of it. I had to arrest him since I am not risking my pension for anyone."

In the words of a very pro-gun NJ sheriff's deputy regarding someone shooting a .22 rifle: "If I came across it on patrol, I would have counselled him on NJ gun laws, but it was called in so there was a record of it. I had to arrest him since I am not risking my pension for anyone."
That is the way it works with everything being entered with an "incident number" in the computer system. Any audit will find where an officer used discretion instead of enforcing the law 100%. I'm very glad that I retired before all this came into play.

Can I say from professional experiences, sometimes we have to go thru the house in order to figure out what is going on (ex: name, dob, meds, signs of failure to thrive, mechanism of injury, other residents, etc). Yes, some of us can be just nosey but most are just looking for clues when we don't get a good medical story or history.
Wait what? LOL

So you go through the person's papers, medicine cabinet and all his/her stuff to figure out the person's medical history?

That is the way everything works.
If you create a record, you can't expect the other person to risk his/her job.

Back
Top Bottom