• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

Big shoutout to Neil Tassel

I'm glad you got your guns back and I'm sure Neil did all he could (I used to shoot with him, he's great) great but this is far from a win.

In my opinion they came up with that agreement because they knew they were in the wrong but couldn't just give the guns back as it would be an admission they were acting like a**h***s.

Sue them for medical discrimination or some nonsense like that. I'm not a lawyer but there needs to be some repercussion for behaving like dbags. Even a loss would be a win. Shows we aren't willing to be bullied.

Sue them for medical discrimination or some nonsense like that. I'm not a lawyer but there needs to be some repercussion for behaving like dbags. Even a loss would be a win. Shows we aren't willing to be bullied.
Honestly they did a lot wrong (the hospital too, pretty sure they told the cops I was being discharged because I was met at my apartment by officers and I sure as shit didn't tell them I was on my way), but I'm over all of this and just want to leave it in the past at this point.

Honestly they did a lot wrong (the hospital too, pretty sure they told the cops I was being discharged because I was met at my apartment by officers and I sure as shit didn't tell them I was on my way), but I'm over all of this and just want to leave it in the past at this point.
I don't blame you. I just hate how people like you get steam rolled all the time at no cost to the offenders. Either way happy you got them back and glad you're ok.

Congrats @Shevchenko ! [party]

Very pleased to read the successful conclusion. Same thing happened to a friend of mine: Medical emergency brings EMT's and cops to the house before unloaded firearm can be secured, snooping around nets the wild firearm that's on the loose, and you know the rest of the story. Absolutely shameful...

Good for you and it sucks that you were put through the ringer for a health emergency. Nice to know in advance if a cop is having a health emergency, then wait for him/her to become unconscious and take their gun and drop in the middle of the road and let the cop get charged with unlawful storage, endangering minors, etc. What a world we live in. In any other state you probably could have gone to your local PD after getting out of the hospital and they would have handed your guns back and you could have drove home happy.
Cops are immune from that sh*t.

@nstassel what is the viability of a medical alert bracelet that says if someone is incapacitated to call you to secure their firearms and ammunition? (Assuming a retainer has been paid, of course)

… Asking for a friend 😉
Maybe it's possible to modify one of those "Delete my browser history" med bracelets?

I am overly glad to hear that outcome. Sounds like you need a universal key though. I keep one at the shop for how often people lose the keys to those locks.
169fff6d963a8d3f.png
Or familiarity with the basic approaches of picking, shimming, drilling, rapping and impressioning. Rapping generally works on these cable locks (slight pull on the cable while giving the lock a sharp whack with a hammer, being careful to make metal to metal rather than metal to plastic contact. I don't think Neil Tassel is a lockpicking lawyer, and certainly not the lockpicking lawyer.

Wanted to make a public post to once again thank the great Neil Tassel. Last year I had a seizure while prepping for a range day and I had the audacity to not lock up my rifle in the 10 or so minutes between seizing and being rushed to the ER by ambulance (my landlord called 911 for me). The emt's told the responding officer I had "guns everywhere" (this was a lie, everything but my rifle was locked in my range bag) then the Wilmington PD tried to hit me with improper storage of a large capacity firearm. A few days pass and I'm discharged from the hospital to find 2 officers at my apartment (not sure how they knew I was discharged but whatever) who served me my suspension notice and seized all my guns/ammo. It was a stressful few weeks waiting to see what they were charging me with but finally Neil found out what it was and explained I had a show cause hearing to determine whether there was cause for a criminal complaint. I've never been in trouble so it was extremely stressful and taxing on my mental health, but Neil was always there to answer my repetitive questions and he dominated at my show cause hearing. He got the skeleton posing as a magistrate to accept an agreement between the inspector and Neil that they'd leave it at the show cause level for 6 months and deny the complaint as long as I kept my record squeaky clean. I don't live much of a wild life these days, but it was always on my mind that I had this piano dangling above my head. Well, 6 months pass, the complaint was denied, and the Lieutenant at the Wilmington PD quickly pushed thru my license reinstatement. So now I'm back in business and I have my license and goods back in my possession with no piano hovering over me and it feels great to have it all wrapped up.

now to figure out how the F I get this key-less lock of my 320!

Thanks again for all your help and guidance @ntassel

View: https://imgur.com/a/Xg2xHRz

Good to hear, did you get your ammo back ?

If you are unconscious due to a medical emergency and the gun is holstered on your person, is that still under your direct control? If the EMT has an LTC and removes your gun while you are out, unloads and puts on a shelf or in his med kit to have it out of the way while treating you is (s)he going to get nailed or are you guilty of constructive unsecured storage? And yeah, I know I just made up the last term.

Last edited:
Or familiarity with the basic approaches of picking, shimming, drilling, rapping and impressioning. Rapping generally works on these cable locks (slight pull on the cable while giving the lock a sharp whack with a hammer, being careful to make metal to metal rather than metal to plastic contact. I don't think Neil Tassel is a lockpicking lawyer, and certainly not the lockpicking lawyer.
Just cut it.

I have standing orders in my house that if there is a medical emergency with me that after the ambulance is called certain doors are to be shut and locked and no one is to be allowed to roam the house.
I don't care if i'm blue and they are attempting to jump start me.
I've heard more that a couple of stories of cops taking an opportunity to go snooping through a house while the medics are working on someone.

Very pleased to read the successful conclusion. Same thing happened to a friend of mine: Medical emergency brings EMT's and cops to the house before unloaded firearm can be secured, snooping around nets the wild firearm that's on the loose, and you know the rest of the story. Absolutely shameful...

Can one tell the cops be told 'wait outside' when the EMTs are called? Or do they say the equivalent of "reasonable suspicion" when there is a medical emergency going on and make their way into the house? Anytime you call the police, fire dept, or ambulance you always get all three showing up.

Clearly not the same case as a tip from an EMT.

Can one tell the cops be told 'wait outside' when the EMTs are called? Or do they say the equivalent of "reasonable suspicion" when there is a medical emergency going on and make their way into the house? Anytime you call the police, fire dept, or ambulance you always get all three showing up.

Good question.

The last few times I called for an ambulance for an aging parent the PD wasn’t dispatched.

Bob

Not sure it really answers the question, but the cops didn't enter until shortly after I left on a stretcher. I have a porch camera that recorded them asking my landlord and her son to enter, she asked "do you have a warrant?" they replied pretty sternly "we can certainly get one, but that wouldn't be great for you" or something along those lines, and basically pestered her enough that she finally caved.

Not sure it really answers the question, but the cops didn't enter until shortly after I left on a stretcher. I have a porch camera that recorded them asking my landlord and her son to enter, she asked "do you have a warrant?" they replied pretty sternly "we can certainly get one, but that wouldn't be great for you" or something along those lines, and basically pestered her enough that she finally caved.
I don't believe landlords can consent to waive their tenant's rights, so there is a good chance the search would be tossed.

As to that search - district courts can and sometimes do play fast and loose on accepting bogus searches. I know of one case where a warrant was issued based on suspicion of lawful behavior (The police told the court that shooting paraphernalia in the car plus the driver having an LTC suggested a gun in the car, and told the court a gun in the car was illegal on school grounds which the court accepted as fact, even though that is not so), and the district court judge started the case with "I don't want to hear anything about the warrant". Of course that comment was never tested, since it was easier, less risky and cheaper for the defendant to wait out a CWOF on the change than refuse the CWOF deal, fund an appeal, and risk ending up a federally PP.

Nick, Glad you're back & feeling better. Huge thumbs up to Neil on sorting this out. Glad you got all your guns back. There's got to be a way when something like this happens , common sense comes into play. What am I thinking, where in the people's republik and common sense isn't common anymore. Glad you're feeling better.

That is kicking you when you are down. An EMT with a left lean saw your dangerous weapon and thought. I must save the children.... Glad you are back up and running. This sounds like something from California. You could probly find the prius with the biden sticker pretty easy at the EMT parking lot. Just saying

It sucks the Wilmington PD took ADVANTAGE of the situation and tried to screw you out of your rights. Thankfully, with no help from your town authorities, you found a great lawyer who new the system. Glad you're OK.
Should also give GOAL their due, they're the one's that suggested Neil!

Back
Top Bottom