• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

Best way to bring a person shooting, the only caveat is....

I have a good friend I work with, very liberal leaning but a very good guy none the less. Over the last few months we've had many discussions on the proposed Gun Control bills/issues and I've helped stamp out much of the misinformation, e.g. AR = Assault Rifle, Machines Guns running amuck, and many of the other popular crap-tastic supposed facts. When we first started discussing guns, he was very anti this, anti that, however, he's now more aware of the perpetuation of misinformation by both the media and politicians and he's starting to understand what's going on. I was very happy to hear this.

That said, he wants to go shooting. He wants to feel what it's like to shoot the angry, scary, black rifle. He's now open to the idea learning more of about something that's been vilified. Normally, I'd be excited to take him on a range trip, however, there's one issue. He's blind. Full on, 100% blind.

How do I take someone who is 100% blind to the range and teach him to shoot (within reason)? He obviously understands the risks involved and knows he won't be winning any shooting contests. My ideas are as follows, many of which are open for debate and advise, hence this post.

- I plan on contacting my club and discussing the idea and asking for advise, limitations, and if it'll even be allowed.
- If approved, I plan on sitting down with him and running through a dry-fire exercise of safe gun handling practices, cardinal rules, and letting him get a feel of the guns. His touch and hearing senses are on overdrive, he uses an iPhone daily, and very quick to pickup on the most minuscules of sensations that most of us don't pay much attention too.
- Again, If approved by my club, I'd bring him to the range and tune his situational awareness to the surroundings, e.g. safe direction, sounds, shooting stalls, etc. In terms of actually shooting, I plan on physically assisting him with sighting in the each of the guns he'll be shooting with. I'll be in direct physical contact with him the whole time. I plan to keep it to 2-3 rounds a mag as well.

Either way, I'd really like for him to experience what shooting it all about. I know for most of us, it was like the Pringles commercial, once you popped, you just couldn't stop. Secondly, he'll get to experience something he's never done and open up his mind a bit more. Most of all, I want to do this for him but I want it to be safe for everyone involved, including the folks who may be at the range when we go and might be a bit freaked out.

Has anyone run into a challenge like this? Any suggestions or items I should aware of?

Thanks

I don't have much advice to offer, other than steel targets. This way he gets some feedback.

Good on you for doing this.

I think that is an absolutely awesome idea.

My college buddy is blind and I can bet you that he would be twice as careful and respectful as my sighted friends. You prolly will experience the same thing.

I would go over the rules beforehand in a quiet place and let him hold the firearm unloaded and "see" and learn it. Let him take as long as he wants. He may not have even held a gun and holding one unloaded will bring his comfort level up a bit.

My friends have the hardest time with their "trigger discipline." Once that is learned, they have a blast and I feel safe.

Good luck and have fun!

What a situation! I think it's fantastic that he wants to go shooting, and that you are willing to go out of your way to try to make it possible for him.

While working within the safety parameters of your range, I do have a few ideas: For targets, either get some that have a raised pattern, or with existing targets, use a soft lead pencil and outline some of the rings as well as the bullseye, so that he can feel up-close what the target "looks" like.

Then get a scary black rifle with a laser scope. That way, once he is in position, you can coach him as to where the center of the target is... I'm guessing you won't necessarily need to be in physical contact with him the whole time, once he's in place and ready to shoot; it probably would depend on what his comfort level is.

Once he's hit the target a bunch of times, you can bring the target back so that he can feel both the raised pattern of the rings like before, PLUS where his shots landed in relation to them.

Just some ideas. I hope you'll let us know how it goes.

Contact someone who knows how to deal with handicapped shooters...

This may not be a bad person to get in touch with:
http://www.odcmp.com/Training/Bios/MA_MaureenTrickett.pdf

Excellent, I'll diffidently and surprisingly enough, she's a Club coach at my range, the MRA! Nice, thank you!

You might consider using a gun rest, so there is a hard reference for him to point the gun.

Great point, excellent idea.

I think that is an absolutely awesome idea.

My college buddy is blind and I can bet you that he would be twice as careful and respectful as my sighted friends. You prolly will experience the same thing.

I would go over the rules beforehand in a quiet place and let him hold the firearm unloaded and "see" and learn it. Let him take as long as he wants. He may not have even held a gun and holding one unloaded will bring his comfort level up a bit.

My friends have the hardest time with their "trigger discipline." Once that is learned, they have a blast and I feel safe.

Good luck and have fun!

Absolutely, I plan on running a dry-fire practice, unloaded, hands on to get the feel in check.

What a situation! I think it's fantastic that he wants to go shooting, and that you are willing to go out of your way to try to make it possible for him.

While working within the safety parameters of your range, I do have a few ideas: For targets, either get some that have a raised pattern, or with existing targets, use a soft lead pencil and outline some of the rings as well as the bullseye, so that he can feel up-close what the target "looks" like.

Then get a scary black rifle with a laser scope. That way, once he is in position, you can coach him as to where the center of the target is... I'm guessing you won't necessarily need to be in physical contact with him the whole time, once he's in place and ready to shoot; it probably would depend on what his comfort level is.

Once he's hit the target a bunch of times, you can bring the target back so that he can feel both the raised pattern of the rings like before, PLUS where his shots landed in relation to them.

Totally makes sense, also gives him some physical feedback of the shot, the paper... thank you.

Just doing it is awesome.

I'd contact the Perkins School for the BLind in Watertown, it's their business. It may be a bit outside of their sphere of dimensional competency, but they'ed be my go-to people.

Failing that, steel plates, and keeping physical control of the gun, and shooting from a rest.

Please report back.

Shoot some steel.... "PING PING PING" is better than holes in paper me thinks.

Totally agree, I'm not sure if the MRA has steel targets. I've haven't ventured far from the Pope/Loeb indoors ranges in the years I've been a member there. I still need to do the outdoor qualifier, when I get some time.

Pellet gun in the backyard first. Then if he still wants to shoot an AR or whatever he will know the drill. Remember with ear protection we use our eyes, take away a blind guys hearing and they got what? Oh yeah when shooting the big stuff make sure he does have good hearing protection, hearing is more important to him then most.

hitting steel will let him know he hit it, but if he is looking for the feel of it just point him in the right direction and let him lay into it. you dont need to teach him to aim because he cant. Set something up on a bench rest and shoot it yourself so its on target then just have him switch with you. I'n unload the gun and have him feel it and its functions for saftey reasons then once he is aclimated to its feel load him up.

I would use a large steel target with something at the base that beeps. Let him shoot at distances that he can point shoot. I think you might be surprised at how well he does.

paper targets at 7 yards and let him use his natural point of aim(and no you don't need to see to do this). If that all goes well let hit try to hit some steel.

Some ideas :

I'm pretty sure the people who play blind baseball use a ball that emits a beeping noise so they can judge where hte ball is.

Maybe a target that emits a beep so the person can at least know what general direction to fire in?

A target with different pieces of metal around it - so there are different sounds depending on how far away from a bullseye the rounds are landing?

pong pink ping PING!

- - - Updated - - -

Have him shoot a black rifle - then something else in .223 that is not black - just so he can see is no real difference.

I just couldn't fathom teaching someone who is blind how to shoot and hit their target

I wonder if there's some sort of audio feedback system that would tell him he's on target with a tone, and the pitch of the tone changes the closer to dead center?

A nice gong at 50 yds would be great with a spotter to call his shots would be more than enough fun...on the bench bagged

He might appreciate a good set of electronic earmuffs.

Yes, much agreed. I have a set of Howard Leights I was gonna let him use.

As for the steel targets, buzzers, sounds, etc, I'll need to see what items are available at the MRA and work within those means. If folks have access to a range with those amenities and would be willing to host, please let me know!

Back
Top Bottom