• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

Best "out of the box" first AR for ~$1000 ?

I've read the AR sticky thread end to end, along with a LOT of info out there on the web. But I'm probably more confused now than I was when I started! I was hoping I could get some specific advice, based on my situation...

I'm looking to pick up a complete, finished AR platform rifle as a range gun and insurance against whatever comes after November.

While I understand the best value is in a "build your own" scenario, I am not ready for or interested in building my own at this time. However, I'd also like to get something where I'm not going to feel the need to "upgrade" 4 or 5 components immediately and spend another 50% of the original cost.

My budget is roughly $1000. Though ideally, I'll be able to squeeze an inexpensive scope and/or some ammo into that price point.

I'm in MA, so limiting suggestions to those commonly available in MA FFLs OR those likely to be found via the NES Classifieds or Armslist would be appreciated.

I know, that's a lot of limitations. Feel free to ask any additional questions/clarifications as needed.

S&W M&P15. The old ones were good, the new ones are even better. One of the best values out there if you do not want to build one yourself.

I've read the AR sticky thread end to end, along with a LOT of info out there on the web. But I'm probably more confused now than I was when I started! I was hoping I could get some specific advice, based on my situation...

I'm looking to pick up a complete, finished AR platform rifle as a range gun and insurance against whatever comes after November.

While I understand the best value is in a "build your own" scenario, I am not ready for or interested in building my own at this time. However, I'd also like to get something where I'm not going to feel the need to "upgrade" 4 or 5 components immediately and spend another 50% of the original cost.

My budget is roughly $1000. Though ideally, I'll be able to squeeze an inexpensive scope and/or some ammo into that price point.

I'm in MA, so limiting suggestions to those commonly available in MA FFLs OR those likely to be found via the NES Classifieds or Armslist would be appreciated.

I know, that's a lot of limitations. Feel free to ask any additional questions/clarifications as needed.

Don't forget to throw another $200-$600 into the mix for optics, etc. You're always going to need to add something. There's no cheap way out unless you don't want to use the rifle for much.

You can get an M&P 15 ORC for about $800 or so and go from there. Not a bad starting point, for the cake. Windhams are pretty good too. I just got a Core 15, might be a tier 2.5 for all I know but I'll give it a
shakedown cruise.

-Mike

Another vote for Windham. Excellent quality and performance with a reasonable price.

Optics later as budget permits. Iron sights fine for range and home defense carbine.

Don't forget to throw another $200-$600 into the mix for optics, etc. You're always going to need to add something. There's no cheap way out unless you don't want to use the rifle for much.

You can get an M&P 15 ORC for about $800 or so and go from there. Not a bad starting point, for the cake. Windhams are pretty good too. I just got a Core 15, might be a tier 2.5 for all I know but I'll give it a
shakedown cruise.

-Mike
Mike if you got the CORE with the Free float hand guard check you're Gas block, My buds came loose

I say M&P Sport 2

Get a Maine made used bushmaster.
They are extra killy.
like the pit bull of the ar 15 world. [smile]

LOL- note to OP:

Windham is the reincarnation of the original Bushmaster plant in Windham, Maine. The original workers and original parts suppliers were reinstated. Bushmaster had been sold to Freedom Arms who eventually ignored the condition to keep the facility in Maine. Once the no compete clause expired, the original owner re-started the company as Windham.

Should be able to pick up a new Colt for about a grand.

http://www.colt.com/Catalog/Rifles/LE6920-Series.

LE6920_700W.png

i think for $1k you can get a billet lower and a BCM upper. that would be my choice for a build. it isn't terribly expensive and then you can see how it functions.

nothing wrong w just buying a ready-to-go AR either. there seem to be many nice options nowadays.

Ammo too. Don't have a great AR that is starving to death...

Colt 6920, have it shipped to ur FFL and massified.

I purchased the ruger 556 recently it was my first ar and not experienced in shooting them but I can say the price point and how much I've actually used it at the range is well worth it

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

In the sub $1000 range it's hard to beat SW , Windham , Stag I will include Anderson also as I know 4 people now with them and no problems yet.
As for your budget..... I will say this if you don't have any vision problems. DO NOT BUY ANY OPTICS instead consider
1. For the price of a half decent scope you can set up to reload and make ammo 10 fold better than the 30-40 cent per round m193/855 stuff out there.
2. You should be able to pick up about 15-20 mags for the price of some entry level optics.
3. I'm not a huge fan of the BUIS unless they are easily windage and elevation adjustable like the A2 style sights. So my recommendation is a detach A2 rear sight.
4. More ammo.

I'm not a fan of the ruger AR but four seasons guns had a used one for $525 as of yesterday. Gives you a good amount of budget for ammo and mags . Shoot get comfortable with it . If you feel the need to up grade you can sell it for 500$

If I had a chance to do it all over again I would simply have bought a 20" A2 and spent all that money on the 13 rifles I bought or built over the past 10 years on ammo and or reloading supplies.
I thank the gun gods for Obama sale II and those offering such good prices on my rifles.

If your thinking SHTF no more than you can carry.

Buying lots of mags has nothing to do with fantasy, it has to do with the fact that mags are disposable.

But I am a big guy and can carry lots. And let's not forget a bungee sling. A must have for an AR. With a good vest and some pouches, I can carry 600 rounds and a rifle forever.

Why is a bungee sling a must? I hate those things.

And is this a troll post about carrying 600 rounds and a rifle forever?

But I am a big guy and can carry lots. And let's not forget a bungee sling. A must have for an AR. With a good vest and some pouches, I can carry 600 rounds and a rifle forever.

Any room for water....
As for slings.... I keep coming back to my usgi web sling?

Last edited:
Any room for water....
As for slings.... I keep coming back to my usgi web sling?

Still have my Marine Corps issued "ALICE" pack and web belt. I prefer the bungee sling over the USGI sling. Still fondly remember the "sling palsy" caused by wrapping the sling around the forearm during grass week.

Buying lots of mags has nothing to do with fantasy, it has to do with the fact that mags are disposable.

Why is a bungee sling a must? I hate those things.

And is this a troll post about carrying 600 rounds and a rifle forever?

I understand MAGs are disposable in my SHTF head I will no longer have access to my supplies.
SHTF for me is I will no longer be able to stay in or near my home. Then I fall back on what my dad and his friends have always told me..... once shit hits the fan water will become a huge issue.
My only friend in the military , Life long ranger says the same thing. I know I can go 2 days with zero water intake by day three I can't function well let alone carry any load... something I do not want to do again.

Back
Top Bottom