• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

Best "out of the box" first AR for ~$1000 ?

I understand MAGs are disposable in my SHTF head I will no longer have access to my supplies.
SHTF for me is I will no longer be able to stay in or near my home. Then I fall back on what my dad and his friends have always told me..... once shit hits the fan water will become a huge issue.
My only friend in the military , Life long ranger says the same thing. I know I can go 2 days with zero water intake by day three I can't function well let alone carry any load... something I do not want to do again.

Shit hits the fan for me is when I am in the middle of smoking some ribs or chicken and I run out of propane. I know I can survive the 5 mile drive to the gas station to get a full bottle on a half a can of diet coke, so I only need 3 rifle mags and one pistol reload for the bug out op.

Good suggestions so far. Windham has made quite a name for itself. You might also want to take a look at Rock River.

I recommend starting with iron sights. You can explore optics later.

I'm a fan of the 1907 and web USGI slings, but for my SHTF carbine I'm using a Proctor sling...inexpensive and easy to use. I have 1 for my zombie gun and 1 for my AK (other zombie gun).

http://www.wayofthegun.us/black-proctor-sling/

Last edited:

+1 I have a Proctor sling on my beater carbine, I like it very much. I also use VTAC slings, but sometimes there is something to be said for simplicity.

attachment.php

Attachments

• 20150531_142322.jpg
    20150531_142322.jpg
    139.9 KB · Views: 156
The reason the military uses the tapered pins on the sight tower is that any sort of screwed arrangement can come loose under extended full auto fire. Even with that limitation, I still prefer the clamp on style sight tower for the flexibility. The pin holes on the mil spec tower are drilled at the same time as the tangential holes on the side of the barrel, and you are not going to get a new sight tower drilled to match the existing holes without a very high level of skill.

As to best one under $1000 - I am not qualified to provide a specific answer, but I suggest you look for one with a free floated barrel for accuracy.

Last edited:
I always liked Armalite, Colt or Bushmaster they where some of the big names back in the day. but now I would just pick the roll stamp you like and go with that brand. Most general purpose AR's now days are equal for the most part. no one uses cast receivers anymore. Match grade rifles and varmint rigs the brand you choose plays a much bigger roll I think.

Good suggestions so far. Windham has made quite a name for itself. You might also want to take a look at Rock River.

I recommend starting with iron sights. You can explore optics later.

I'm a fan of the 1907 and web USGI slings, but for my SHTF carbine I'm using a Proctor sling...inexpensive and easy to use. I have 1 for my zombie gun and 1 for my AK (other zombie gun).

http://www.wayofthegun.us/black-proctor-sling/

Im a fan of rock river only 2 original rifles i have left from my " collection" Standard A2 and a NM A2 .... been great so far no issues. I have other rock river stuff Im happy with NM triggers, A2 carry handle sight .
If you want the best prices on rock river or LMT give ar15sales.com a try, Peter Southwick has great prices. Well versed in the legal issuess for MA and will ship to any MA FFL dealer that sendss him thier dealer license info

right now they have a limitted special you just need to pin brake and stock HS1013

Last edited:
Im a fan of rock river only 2 original rifles i have left from my " collection" Standard A2 and a NM A2 .... been great so far no issues. I have other rock river stuff Im happy with NM triggers, A2 carry handle sight .
If you want the best prices on rock river or LMT give ar15sales.com a try, Peter Southwick has great prices. Well versed in the legal issuess for MA and will ship to any MA FFL dealer that sendss him thier dealer license info

right now they have a limitted special you just need to pin brake and stock HS1013

+1

I have 2 (A2 & NMA4) that I bought from Peter. I've also bought various parts (mostly NM triggers) from him. My bro-in-law bought an Operator carbine from him and loves it.

+1

I have 2 (A2 & NMA4) that I bought from Peter. I've also bought various parts (mostly NM triggers) from him. My bro-in-law bought an Operator carbine from him and loves it.

I cant say this enough Pete beats every dealer I have been to for RRA stuff by a huge margin in 2010 i decided to buy a NM A2 the best price i got from any local dealer that was not to lazy to fax a copy of thier FFL dealer license to RRA was 1300$ peter 950$ shipped... plus a 35$ transfer fee. last summer he quoted 1175 shipped for a A2 NM local store had one on sale for 1375

Last edited:
Thinking about this thread again: with $1000 dedicated to AR stuff I would actually buy a new MP Sport, $200 worth of magazines, and $200 worth of ammo. Ymmv

Back
Top Bottom