Best Gunnshop location to consider in MA

Len, good point on the weight thing. I hadn't taken that into consideration. Sure those stores did well, but they were known as remaindered/clearance stores, so by nature they were going to attract a particular customer only looking for bargains.

Having recently been in the new Baystate Arms shop in Peabody, that's what I would like to see more consistently in an LGS. Even though it's technically on a lower level (and at rear of building) it is spacious, well lit and has bright colored walls and floor. Conversely, I visited one recently that had black painted walls.

For established stores it may be cost prohibitive to make those kind of changes, but for one looking to move, I think that's something to be taken into account when scouting locations.

I think most of us here on NES are always looking for bargains! [laugh2]

I agree about walls/ceilings/floors, lighter/brighter colors make the place look bigger and more attractive. When we re-did our home, all walls were painted white (or some variation of white) and the deep-red dark carpet was replaced with an off-white (gets dirty real fast and bad, however). That made every room look bigger and brighter.

Some look for the "trim" and others of us look for the bargains.

-------------------------

As crowded as FS can get (and you never saw crowded like his old store location), I've never been there and unable to get served or get near a counter. Of course, I'll ask politely to get near the counter and I've yet to have a customer refuse to move a couple of inches. Those that just stand there and expect the seas to part on their own (and there are some bashful types that do) will never be satisfied. And as rare as it is (I think it was opening night/day however), I've seen the gun counter at BP crowded like people complain about FS.

3-4 hours may be a stretch, but right now at 1022 on a Thursday its 43 minutes from my house to FS. Figure the same time back. 30-45 minutes in store and 3 hours isn't out of the picture. Not worth my gas to save $20.

If you hit 128 after 3PM I can easily see 1.5-2 hrs to Braintree in bumper-to-bumper traffic. One afternoon I had to serve legal papers to a doc at BU Medical School and it took me 1.5 hrs on Rte. 3 to 128 (Canton) at 3PM!!

So yes, traffic to/from FS can be brutal from South of the City.

If you hit 128 after 3PM I can easily see 1.5-2 hrs to Braintree in bumper-to-bumper traffic. One afternoon I had to serve legal papers to a doc at BU Medical School and it took me 1.5 hrs on Rte. 3 to 128 (Canton) at 3PM!!

So yes, traffic to/from FS can be brutal from South of the City.
Yup. By the time there is no traffic, stores are closed.

Baystate Arms has a really nice shop, bright, spacious etc.
Having recently been in the new Baystate Arms shop in Peabody, that's what I would like to see more consistently in an LGS. Even though it's technically on a lower level (and at rear of building) it is spacious, well lit and has bright colored walls and floor. Conversely, I visited one recently that had black painted walls.
It is a very nice new shop, but the official name is "Baystate Firearms" (not to be confused with Bay State Arms in Salisbury). [grin]

I don't see that - FS has a crappy, cramped layout and no store front, and they do the most business.

Baystate Arms has a really nice shop, bright, spacious etc.

Except that none of that actually matters to most people. Most people are skinflints above all else. Look at Walmart as an example.... with a few exceptions here and there, most walmart stores are ****ing dumps, and its like being in a hospital thats unclean. Yet they dominate, cause "they are the cheapest". Now FS isn't the cheapest in a "total market floor" sort of way, but in relation to MA average they are. The problem is about 75% of the shops in MA are way overpriced, and FS easily destroys all of those shops, hence its popularity. The location also as a high shooter density. (look at the Membership numbers at MRA a couple miles away as reinforcement of this, basically a middling, almost unusable club but has a shitload of members, that means that region has a lot of active shooting enthusiasts in it. )

The valet guy, and the towel attendant, and the dude handing out the grey poupon might be a revenue enhancer... if you're selling $5,000 Korth Revolvers and $10,000+ bird guns, perhaps. But the average consumer in MA is sucking for a cheap gun. If you're $50 overpriced most won't even ask you to split the difference, they're gonna get in their car and go somewhere else. Or they're gonna do their homework, buy it on GB/GA, get it inbounded, (assuming its compliant blah blah) pay no sales tax and win even more.

-Mike

Last edited:
Also another thing... when that new shooter gets some time under his belt what do you think happens to him (or her for that matter)? You think he's still getting concerned about how nice the store is, the towel attendant and all that? Let's put it this way... if someone "gets serious" and dumps a good say 5 figure amount of money into this stuff, and about 5-10 years pass, eventually if that person is smart they start to learn things. I'm kind of at the point now where I don't even look at things in a gun shop anymore except for the ammo prices, maybe quickly scan accessories, and quickly scan the used guns floating around and all of that might take me about 3-5 minutes in all but the largest shops. I used to hang around at these places and fondle the hardware. I don't anymore. I go in the store, ask for/find what I want, buy it, and get the **** out, unless I'm friends with someone that works there or something, or I have to wait for some service or something. For people like myself the small building/office with the one guy standing at the counter is perfect. We don't care about the effluvial crap. We know what we want, we just wanna know what price it is, and if its good, we buy it.

-Mike

Now FS isn't the cheapest in a "total market floor" sort of way, but in relation to MA average they are. The problem is about 75% of the shops in MA are way overpriced, and FS easily destroys all of those shops, hence its popularity. The location also as a high shooter density.
True as true gets. [rockon] And FS isn't cheaper by a little. On one gun I want, they are $100.00 or 20% cheaper than their competition described elsewhere in this thread as a couple of the best shops in the state. [thinking] WTF??? [rolleyes]

But as far as the topic of this thread goes, Andrey runs something of a premium specialty shop if I am reading his posts correctly. I think such a shop as that could locate anywhere in Eastern MA near major highways and population centers and do well regardless of the proximity of other gun shop competition. Look at how FS and Collector's Gallery coexist just minutes apart. I don't see either of them suffering. In fact, when I visit one I automatically visit the other. And I buy from both.

In other words, I wouldn't fear moving too close to supposed competition. I think he could actually benefit from it. [grin]

I think Littleton would be nice. I don't think there is an FFL there currently and seems like a nice centralized town for Massachusetts. Although then I'd be buying more guns from you.. :)

I think Littleton would be nice. I don't think there is an FFL there currently and seems like a nice centralized town for Massachusetts. Although then I'd be buying more guns from you.. :)
Seriously? Littleton is lousy with FFLs for a town it's size... The old mill alone

Sent from my SPH-L900 using Tapatalk

Foxboro area.
+2 Actually anywhere along Rte 1 South of 128 all the way down to the Foxboro Stadium/Patriot Place area would be a great choice. The draw of Bass Pro is strong for a lot of people.

Keep the cape location and just open another in Newton local to you.
I'd love to see a gun shop open in Newton. [grin] It would drive the rich, loony lefty moonbats insane! [smile]

If you wanted to grandmaster troll open a shop called Bloomberg's in Medford with a sister shop in Newton called Rosenthal's.

Lee Sports is already on the border with Newton. But that's mostly a cop shop.

Lee Sports is already on the border with Newton. But that's mostly a cop shop.

Translation: You can buy anything you want, without fearing any AG approval, prohibitions, etc. And the guy behind the counter, when you ask a question about something high-powered or high-capacity will never tell you something along the lines of "Um, well, um..actually I don't want to get involved with anything like that cuz I don't wanna get jammed up by the Feds and..."

Just sayin' [wink]

Newton/Needham would be awesome, right by the 90/95/30 intersection. Easily 20 minutes from Boston not during rush hour, in fact I'm pretty sure its about 8 minutes to the ALS bridge when traffic is moving freely. Having grown up in Newton take it from me in that there are no great gun shops in the area.

I also second the note on having it accessible/not be dingy. I know "people won't care" but half the time I'm driving by a gun shop I won't bother to stop in if parking is the pain in the ass and I have to walk behind a bunch of buildings to get to it.

Mike

Last edited:
Im thinking to move my shop from Cape closer to Boston i would say within 20ml radius.
Looking for suggestion from fellows gun owners, what town should be a best candidate from all perspectives to consider.
Pros, cons and suggestions are welcome.
Thank you all in advance.
Andrey
So where did you end up going?

Im thinking to move my shop from Cape closer to Boston i would say within 20ml radius.
Looking for suggestion from fellows gun owners, what town should be a best candidate from all perspectives to consider.
Pros, cons and suggestions are welcome.
Thank you all in advance.
Andrey

Don't bother anywhere within the boug belt of Newton, Needham, Weston, etc ... Newton went as far as illegally changing their zoning laws to keep a gun store out of its limits.

the best would be right next to any apple store. those guys usually know how to get a best location.

Back
Top Bottom