Best Concealed Carry Gun

My choice is a .45acp semi auto. This may not be your choice and there's nothing wrong with a .357 revolver. I carried one for years. The best gun for you is the one you can shoot and are willing to carry all day every day

What ever you feel most comfortable with. Could be the best gun in the world, but if you don't like it you might as well have a brick in your pocket.

My choice is a S&W 442, mainly due to its size. But that's just my preference and as always YMMV.

Pay heed - LenS speaks truth! Check out belts by the Beltman or another gunbelt specific manufacturer. If you don't want to go leather the Wilderness belt is "in" on the CCW fashion scene right now as well.

The Beltman makes an extremely good product. I wear one of his belts everyday. As a gunbelt they are top notch, but even as a regular daily wear belt. The basic bullhide belt will set you back about $80-$90, but it will be the last belt you'll ever have to buy, so it is definitely worth it.

I only read the first page and instantly agree with EC, (though for me, the PPS was just not a fit). I carried 1911's for nearly 20-years - from officers models, to full sized and ended with two compacts, (Colt Defender and ParaCarry). I now carry a 642CT full time and will never look back. It's as easy to carry as it gets - especially in a Mika pocket holster...I also packs a wallop - 135gr Speer GDHP +P - it's not your grandpas 38...[wink]

I am short and pocket carry to conceal my firearms. I carry Centennnial and Bodyguard revolvers. This is what works best for me.

What ever you feel most comfortable with. Could be the best gun in the world, but if you don't like it you might as well have a brick in your pocket.

My choice is a S&W 442, mainly due to its size. But that's just my preference and as always YMMV.

+1, for me, my personal preference is Springfield xD .40 subcompact or service, depending on clothes for concealment.

any compact or sub-compact glock 19/23/32/26/27/30/36

any compact M&P 9/357sig/40c

commander size 1911

This, or a 642/442 if you want to pocket carry.

+1million to those who say the belt and holster are key. Beltman belt and comp-tac MTAC are my recommendations.

when it comes down to it, what you are comfortable with. i carry a 1911 commander daily, but its not for every one. i am ~5'6" 130# and conceal it fine. the 1911 for me fits well in terms of concealability and in my hand. i have friends who swear by glock, m&p in 9mm, etc. if you can, try a bunch of pistols out and see what feels comfortable in your hand and what you can shoot well with. you can have the most expensive pistol and if you can't hit on target with it, whats the point?

As has been said above, whatever fits you best. I carry a 642 or a 6906. But neither one will do you any good if you can't hit the side of a barn with it. The 642 is lightweight and easy to carry, but takes more practice to learn to shoot properly. The 6906 fits my hand like a glove but to me is not as comfortable to carry.

60/4513

i carry and shoot the model 60 and S&W4513tsw well enough. i have acquired the correct holster for both. someone in this forum sold
me the 4513 holster for the price of shipping. again thank you.

either of these hides well, and you will not notice that you are carrying
them.

JimB

Sig 229 .40 IWB loose shirt over and under shirt, or loose light material flanel like shirt over with T tucked in....

Thank you all for all of your responses and advice. It is all very helpful.

I went to Four Seasons and asked for assistance from one of the people working there. He asked why I was there and I told him "to get schooled" on CCW's. He spent some time showing me their entire inventory and I left with one major concern- I am a newbie so stick with me here.

For all of the manufacturers I handled (Walther PPS not in stock [sad] ) I was concerned with how the guns fit in my hand. For all of the guns, M&P, Glock, etc., the grip was very small in my hand and seemed awkward- from the smallest frames all the way to just under their largest frames. I am no giant but I kind of have a baseball mitt for a hand. My little finger was always either off the bottom of the grip or half off the grip so that I felt like as soon as I fired one round it would come off the grip. Made me feel uncomfortable.

I haven't fired any of these weapons and I know I have to, My question is simply- is this normal and something you need to get used to when using a CCW? Maybe I just have a larger hand than most...

The 1911 I handled felt GREAT- but at about $1k it is on the high end of what I am hoping to spend.

Thoughts?

I am heavily leaning towards trading in my home protection gun (S&W .357 Mag with a 4" barrel) for an every day concealed carry gun.
Your home protection gun IS my EDC gun.

DSC00363.jpg

Sounds like you defiantly "got schooled" and read the post. +1 to you!!!

I also have Tennis rackets for hands... The 1911 feels GREAT in my hands also.

For me its a balance of firearm size and what I feel I can comfortably conceal, and shoot accurately. I try to CCW 95% of the time and at this time do not want multiple firearms for different dress. I spend lots of trigger time with my PPS, and it feels very comfortable for me now, not as comfortable as the 1911 but I make due.

When I first got the PPS it felt "ok", I practiced practiced practiced, my CCW is something I hope to never use. If it ever comes into play I'm almost positive the comfort of my hands wrapped around the hand grip will not even come into my mind. I'm hoping that the thousands(more to come) of times I have shot it and un-holstered and drew on target will come much more into play than the comfort.

So in my experience yes its something you get used to if you choose a smaller frame size. I do feel that you need to at least be "ok" with the CCW and work the controls. I love the P3-AT but how to I get my fingers on the trigger without looking LOL

Its to bad they did not have the PPS on the shelf, one of the great feature of the PPS is the multiple mag sizes and backstrap sizes.. I strongly recommend you at least put on in your hand before you pull the trigger on anything.

Not sure were your located but I shoot at HSC and would be willing to give you some hands on with the PPS as well as a nice IWB setup.

I haven't fired any of these weapons and I know I have to, My question is simply- is this normal and something you need to get used to when using a CCW? Maybe I just have a larger hand than most...

Thoughts?

The guns with integrated replaceable grips (e.g. M&P, SW99, P99, SigPro, etc.) are usually shipped with the medium grips installed. At a shop like FS, you could ask them to switch to the Large grip to see if it fits you any better.

Steel frame guns have customer-replaceable grips so that you can buy something that makes it bigger and is thus more comfortable for your hand.

The guns with integrated replaceable grips (e.g. M&P, SW99, P99, SigPro, etc.) are usually shipped with the medium grips installed. At a shop like FS, you could ask them to switch to the Large grip to see if it fits you any better.

Steel frame guns have customer-replaceable grips so that you can buy something that makes it bigger and is thus more comfortable for your hand.

When you say medium grips and large grips- do you mean the circumfrence? The circumfrenece wasn't my issue as my fingers aren't really that long. The height of the grips was what felt uncomfortable as the bottom of my palm and little finger were off the bottom. I asked about the clip- which was integrated into the grip on most of the guns and acted as a grip extension and was told that that was the max extension. Basically if I wanted to to have my entire palm and fingers on the grip I needed to go with a large frame.

Again, I know I need to fire these guns- maybe the smaller frames will feel natural when I fire them. Just trying to gather as much info as I can!

OK, then Pearce (and a few others) make finger extensions for lots of guns that might help your problem. Just be careful as most add "rounds" to the mag and the MA hi-cap mag ban issue can mean that many of these would put you in "felony territory".

I'll take the HK USP Compact over the PPS. Almost doubles your capacity with negligible weight and size increases. If, as you say, you have larger hands, the USP may feel like a nice fit. I also love the Smith 1911PD. The scandium frame makes a big difference in weight over a steel 1911.

If you think carrying your 4" revolver is hard, you won't find carrying a fullsize 1911 much easier.

That occurred to me- wonder if I shouldn't buy a Beltman belt and reconsider the idea of needing another gun. The .357 fits my hand great it's just a bit heavy and the barrel tends to ride a bit low with the holster I have- wanting to poke out of an untucked shirt or jacket. Maybe the right belt and a holster thst holds the gun higher would solve my problem without a new gun buy?

1911's always feel good... look for a commander/officer's model, which is smaller for carry. If your worried about $$ look for a Rock Island Armory Officer's model is a pretty good 1911 in the 500 dollar range......nothing fancy, but reliable....I wouldn't hesitate to carry mine Rock for personal protection....so far it's eaten everything I've fed it without a hiccup....

That occurred to me- wonder if I shouldn't buy a Beltman belt and reconsider the idea of needing another gun. The .357 fits my hand great it's just a bit heavy and the barrel tends to ride a bit low with the holster I have- wanting to poke out of an untucked shirt or jacket. Maybe the right belt and a holster thst holds the gun higher would solve my problem without a new gun buy?
You'll need a good belt regardless of what gun you carry, so I'd start there. Then try another holster for your gun before changing to a new gun.

You'll need a good belt regardless of what gun you carry, so I'd start there. Then try another holster for your gun before changing to a new gun.

I think I will do just that. Thank you.

Beltman. Any other recommended belts?

I have a Galco holster. Any suggestions for a holster that might hold the gun higher up?

Back
Top Bottom