Best Concealed Carry Gun

Ok- let's say you were going to purchase your primary concealed carry gun tomorrow. Price is no object. What do you get? Please keep in mind you are purchasing a gun for everyday use. Not an expensive collectors piece. What's your firct choice?

There is no best. There are plenty of good choices, though. Unfortunately, some are hard to find in MA.

First decide how you are going to carry. Belt holster? Pocket?

I've always had a secret desire for a Glock 30.

I have one. It's not an easy gun to carry compared to the PPS and 642.

I also have a Glock 29, and there's really no reason to carry a G30 when you have a G29. I still recomend the PPS or 642 though.

Last edited:
There is no best. There are plenty of good choices, though. Unfortunately, some are hard to find in MA.

First decide how you are going to carry. Belt holster? Pocket?

I am thinking belt holster. Every day carry.

I think I posed this question poorly. This isn't a dream gun question or a find a difficult gun thing. Let's say you have to go to Four Seasons Firearms tomorrow and leave with a gun tomorrow. What do you get. This is an information gathering post. I am heavily leaning towards trading in my home protection gun (S&W .357 Mag with a 4" barrel) for an every day concealed carry gun.

Glock 19:

-No trigger jobs required.
-15 Rounds Pre-ban magazines available.
-Small profile, yet large enough to fire accurately.
-Tons of aftermarket items (especially holsters) available.
-The design has been around for 20 years, and it is still one of the most popular handguns in the world.

If you are looking for something smaller, I would change my recommendation to the S&W 442/642 series.

The answer is . . .

- The gun that fits your hand the best, AND

- That you shoot the best, AND

- In the biggest caliber that you can comfortably carry with spare mags/ammo at all times!

There is no "magic gun" or "magic bullet", so try a bunch of guns to see what fits best and you shoot best.

You MUST invest in a high quality holster and gun belt. Don't skimp on $20-50 products to carry a $500-1000 gun that may be called on to save your life or that of a loved one!

Glock 19 or 26 if your build or wardrobe allow a double stack.

Walther PPS, Kahr P9/PM9, or S&W 642 if they do not.

You MUST invest in a high quality holster and gun belt. Don't skimp on $20-50 products to carry a $500-1000 gun that may be called on to save your life or that of a loved one!

Pay heed - LenS speaks truth! Check out belts by the Beltman or another gunbelt specific manufacturer. If you don't want to go leather the Wilderness belt is "in" on the CCW fashion scene right now as well.

The answer is . . .

- The gun that fits your hand the best, AND

- That you shoot the best, AND

- In the biggest caliber that you can comfortably carry with spare mags/ammo at all times!

There is no "magic gun" or "magic bullet", so try a bunch of guns to see what fits best and you shoot best.

+1000

Glock 19 or 26 if your build or wardrobe allow a double stack.

Walther PPS, Kahr P9/PM9, or S&W 642 if they do not.

+1000 [wink]

+1. I like my PM9 a lot. A Kahr K9 or P9 is another great choice.

If I could find a PM9, I'd probably get that. Otherwise, something compact and that fits your hand nicely. S&W M&P are popular lately, and the Ruger SR9 are overlooked but comparable. From Ruger's web page:
"The Ruger SR9® is one of the slimmest 9mm pistols available. The SR9® is comfortable and controllable, and with a 17+1 capacity, it packs all the features required by today's most demanding shooters. A must for shooters and law enforcement officers looking for Ruger's legendary reliability, the SR9® is available in Brushed or Blackened Stainless finishes with Black grip frame, or in Blackened Stainless finish with OD Green grip frame."

The post after this mentions a less common S&W. There are a LOT of good guns made by these guys. There are some CS (Chief's Special) models from them which seem real nice, too.

Last edited:
By Friends Smith & Wesson

Smith & Wesson 6906. Small, compact, 12 rounds per mag. Great little gun. Also a Para Hawg 9 although some people hate para, I only had one issue with the extractor but para fixed it. It's been fine ever since.

Smith & Wesson 6906. Small, compact, 12 rounds per mag. Great little gun. Also a Para Hawg 9 although some people hate para, I only had one issue with the extractor but para fixed it. It's been fine ever since.

+1. I have carried one for years and even competed in local IPSC matches for a season. Great sights (Novak) and trigger and very accurate for a 3.25 in barrel.

12 shots in the gun and 15 on the reload, if you use 5906 mags. It is not a good idea to carry a 12 round mag for a spare. Speed reloads can be very painful as you stand a good chance of jamming some skin between the mag extension and the frame. I found out the hard way.

I carry a 442ct with an IWB. I think the 642 is much "sexier", but the 442 is harder to spot if it gets accidentally exposed momentarily.

I agree, I have a 642 and I would have prefered the 442. The 642 was used and only $250 so that made my decision.

I am thinking belt holster. Every day carry.
For a belt holster, you can carry a heavier, larger gun than a pocket holster. Airweight S&W revolvers (e.g., 642) are very light and are optimized for pocket carry. They have very short barrels and thus a short sight radius, and are hard to aim accurately. Their light weight aluminum or titanium or scandium frames give them more recoil.

An all steel revolver like a 640 or Ruger SP101 will have much less recoil.

Another option is a compact semi-auto, like a Glock 19, S&W M&P compact, Sigarms P239.

I am heavily leaning towards trading in my home protection gun (S&W .357 Mag with a 4" barrel) for an every day concealed carry gun.
Keep your 4" home protection gun. Buy a concealed carry gun. You'll regret selling the S&W wheelgun.

Back
Top Bottom