Best Concealed Carry Gun

Ok- let's say you were going to purchase your primary concealed carry gun tomorrow. Price is no object. What do you get? Please keep in mind you are purchasing a gun for everyday use. Not an expensive collectors piece. What's your firct choice?

Exactly what I have and what I CCW: Ti framed commander 1911 I had built to my spec/needs. Carry the best you can afford that fits your needs and training.

Before that, I had a SnW scandium commander 1911, which was under 1k, and was a great gun.

That's what was/is right for me. Does not mean it's the right choice for you, so when you ask that question, the answers may not actually apply to you.

Last edited:
That occurred to me- wonder if I shouldn't buy a Beltman belt and reconsider the idea of needing another gun. The .357 fits my hand great it's just a bit heavy and the barrel tends to ride a bit low with the holster I have- wanting to poke out of an untucked shirt or jacket. Maybe the right belt and a holster thst holds the gun higher would solve my problem without a new gun buy?

I strongly suggest you do what you say here first.

IMO, a proper belt and a GOOD inside the waist holster make carrying a full size revolver MUCH easier.

My favorite revolver holster is a simple IWB rig from Lobo Gunleather. His holsters are the pefect ride height and cant angle to carry a medium or large frame revolver. I have his holsters for both K and N frames and they make carrying a revolver all day a pleasure when paired up with a quality leather belt such as those from The Beltman. IWB's make barrel length irrelevant and they pull the gun much closer to the body than any OWB holster ever could, making a big revolver completely disappear under a loose fitting untucked polo.

Here's my Lobo rig with a S&W Model 29 in it

DSC00368.jpg

DSC00369.jpg

DSC00370.jpg

Ya know, maybe split the difference between a snub and what you have and get a 3" .357 Magnum. But, I think you should try a belt and other holsters first also.

Best CCW gun....... the one you never have to use! Just messing around, put that in their for the liberals.

How about the biggest gun you can manage to hide well. If you big enough, go with a S+W 500!

No John, the best CCW gun is the one you dont ever have to use. The best fight is the fight not entered. I hope I never ever have to harm anyone, but I am prepared to do it to keep me/ my own safe. Turn on your situational awareness and stay out of fights, or you'll find yourself in some deep doo doo fast.

I'm partial to my KelTec P11. Not the easiest thing to find in MA but it works for me.

I'd love to get one of the new KelTec designs, but alas...

As LenS said, it's what works for you.

OK, here is what I've learned after 30 years of having an LTC. No matter how beautiful, sexy, or powerful your carry piece is, if it is too big, bulky, or especially too heavy, you're just not going to carry it. It will sit in your safe 'till you trade it for something else.

Walther PPK .380...Interarms.

Some days the Airweight 638

Last edited:
I carry a .45acp auto but that doesn't make it the best for you. Try as many autos and revolvers as you can before you decide.

Ok- let's say you were going to purchase your primary concealed carry gun tomorrow. Price is no object. What do you get? Please keep in mind you are purchasing a gun for everyday use. Not an expensive collectors piece. What's your firct choice?

I carry this one daily:

S&W Model 642 w/ Crimson Trace grips (not so much for the laser, but for the grip extension).

This firearm conceals very well and is easy to carry with its light weight.

As I used to live in FL, pocket carry is a must. If I could swing it, I carried a Glock 33 in a Fist thin kydex pocket holster. If not, I downshifted to the 642 in a HighNoon pocket carry and if there was no frigging way that I could carry a gun, it was the Seecamp .32 in a Galco leather pocket holster.

Over the years, I have probably carried that Seecamp more than anything. "Better the 7 you carry that the 14 you leave at home" is my motto.

Has anyone tried one of these? It was discussed in another thread but I'm not sure if anyone has actually used one. If you haven't, do you think it would work as described?

http://www.concealedcomfort.com/index.html

Also, how do you all feel about pocket holsters?

I'm also struggling on how to CCW..... Nothing feels comfortable to me and I don't want to hip carry wearing and XXL shirt to cover it up.

Has anyone tried one of these? It was discussed in another thread but I'm not sure if anyone has actually used one. If you haven't, do you think it would work as described?

http://www.concealedcomfort.com/index.html

Also, how do you all feel about pocket holsters?

I'm also struggling on how to CCW..... Nothing feels comfortable to me and I don't want to hip carry wearing and XXL shirt to cover it up.

That looks very uncomfortable when sitting down, particularly in a low car.

I suggest you try a S&W 642 or a Kahr PM9 in a good pocket holster.

I've been working on this for years, and with each gun and holster it changes. Some IWB combos feel great when standing/walking around but sitting in a car isn't all that comfy. Some OWB are just fine but require a whole lot of thought about wardrobe.

For me, I decided I needed to select my primary CCW gun and focused on finding the best holster/belt to go with that gun. Then I could work on a second option.

Walther PPS with a good IWB holster like a crossbreed or Minotaur...

I carry this with in my Crossbreed IWB and my own wife has no clue I'm carrying - she is usually surprised when we get home and I unpack everything to put it back in the safe.

Back
Top Bottom