Best 7.62 x 39 Battle Rifle for under $1,000.00 ?

Bottom line is get yourself a nice SKS D if you want to spend the $500, or an M model for around $350. Both take any AK mags which are readily available for cheap, and both eat any 7.62x39. Function is as close as you can get to an AK as long as you don't buy one with a beat down gas tube from someone having shot corrosive ammo w/out proper cleaning and you have acceptable accuracy in a rifle design that served several countries all around the world and is still in use today.

With the money you save you can get 2 or 3 cases of 7.62x39!

There's something from Ruger somewhere about the Mini-30 not being the best creature in the world for firing steel cased ammo.
The bore diameter mentioned about is quite correct too.

Ive heard of accuracy issues and also mag issues with the mini 30 which is why I was trying to stay away from it. Apparently these issues were never had with the mini 14's.

Kind of what I figured. So, I'm not sure there was any real, useful reason for mentioning it.

I was thinking of this option also.

The useful reason for mentioning it is simply that is what it cost. I was illustrating that there are and were inexpensive, reliable, good shooters available at low prices, if you look.

isn't the 7.62x39 cartridge for weapons classified as "assault rifles" ?

I always thought a "battle rifle" is for a full size/powered cartridge like .308, or 30-06, or 7.62x54.....to be able to reach the distance that the less powered intermediate calibers ( .223, 7.62x39) can't reach to do any appreciable damage...

For $1000 you can get a nice FAL or a Garand..

definition of Battle Rifle

I always thought a "battle rifle" is for a full size/powered cartridge like .308, or 30-06, or 7.62x54.....to be able to reach the distance that the less powered intermediate calibers ( .223, 7.62x39) can't reach to do any appreciable damage...

That is what I was thinking as well. Add PTR-91 to the "under a grand" list for 7.62x51.

That's the general understanding as well, but maybe the OP has a few thousand rounds of 7.62X39 and is looking for that in a battle rifle platform.

I actually can't think of any rifle - other than the PTR-92 - that could be called a "battle rifle" , that comes in 7.62x39. I have never seen an FAL in 7.62x39, I have never seen a Garand in 7.62x39, never seen an M14, never seen any of the "full size" rifles that would typically be thought of in their original caliber configuration as "battle rifles" in anything but a "battle rifle" cartridge.

You can get a number of "assault rifles" in 7.62x39: AK, SKS, AR-15, Daewoo, etc. , but these are always rifles that - in their 'original' caliber configuration, were always assault rifles.

That makes the PTR-92 somewhat unique in my book.

I actually can't think of any rifle - other than the PTR-92 - that could be called a "battle rifle" , that comes in 7.62x39. I have never seen an FAL in 7.62x39, I have never seen a Garand in 7.62x39, never seen an M14, never seen any of the "full size" rifles that would typically be thought of in their original caliber configuration as "battle rifles" in anything but a "battle rifle" cartridge.

You can get a number of "assault rifles" in 7.62x39: AK, SKS, AR-15, Daewoo, etc. , but these are always rifles that - in their 'original' caliber configuration, were always assault rifles.

That makes the PTR-92 somewhat unique in my book.

If we're really gonna get correct here the SKS isn't an assault rifle unless you're considering the type 63 variant which was the only select fire model known to be used in service.

I was going to ask why isn't anyone talking about the AR-15 platform? You can get a lower for short money and an upper for around 400 or so...and ask Derek, the AR can reach out 600 yards...though I don't know if the x39 can make it out that far...but it might.

If we're really gonna get correct here the SKS isn't an assault rifle unless you're considering the type 63 variant which was the only select fire model known to be used in service.

I'd say the SKS fits the 'battle rifle' description better than the 'assault rifle' description, with the exception of the chambering.

I was going to ask why isn't anyone talking about the AR-15 platform? You can get a lower for short money and an upper for around 400 or so...and ask Derek, the AR can reach out 600 yards...though I don't know if the x39 can make it out that far...but it might.

I saw shooters on the line at the Jericho Appleseed making hits at 600 with beater AKs and SKSes.

I've heard bad things about the 7.62x39 AR uppers though.

Interesting - I did not know that.

That's what makes the 7.62x39 "battle rifle" question hard to answer - there are a lot of grey areas.

The way I see it is a battle rifle is a rifle that in it's original configuration - shot a "battle rifle" round, like 30.06, or 7.62x51, or 7.52x54, 8mm, etc. . An assault rifle is something that shot an assault rifle round in it's original configuration - and here is one of the grey areas: civilians by and large only get access to the semi-auto versions of rifles that in their military configurations were full auto capable. That - in my IMHO, puts the SKS in "assault rifle" territory when you are talking about civilian buy-able rifles.

Overall - the best option would probably be an AR upper. That would give the user a rifle that is more universally used (so he gets used to the platform), a lower that could be used with other uppers (making the rifle purchase more cost effective over time) - and also gives him more options (there are a number of 7.62x39 uppers out there).

But an AR platform in 7.62x39 is probably going to put him over the $1k budget he said he had - and he said he wanted a battle rifle. The only option he has if those are absolute requirements - is (again IMHO) - the PTR-92.

Maybe the OP should tell us how he defines "battle rifle" since that's what matters here. Personally, I agree with Calsdad and wouldn't call any x39 a battle rifle.

Another option to consider would be to sell/trade the x39 ammo here to replace with a different caliber. I usually buy ammo for a gun, not a gun for ammo. Though I did try to tell my wife I needed to buy an AR when I found a single round of .223 in my safe [grin]

Maybe the OP should tell us how he defines "battle rifle" since that's what matters here. Personally, I agree with Calsdad and wouldn't call any x39 a battle rifle.

Another option to consider would be to sell/trade the x39 ammo here to replace with a different caliber. I usually buy ammo for a gun, not a gun for ammo. Though I did try to tell my wife I needed to buy an AR when I found a single round of .223 in my safe [grin]

He's probably looking for an excuse to get something in the caliber, since it's pretty cheap ammo.

Calsdad,

I'm guessing that the OP means "a rifle sharing the majority of it's feature-set and operating principles with traditional battle rifles (M1A, FAL, HK91, Garand, No 4 SMLE, SVD, PSL, etc) but firing the 7.62x39 round. In that category, the SKS would certainly fit the bill, as well as being a far more affordable choice than an AR, PTR 92, etc.

Tradeoffs for the Yugo

Just to remind you, the Yugo is heavier, about two pounds, than light AK's. This is due to the way it is built. The shoulder stock has no aftermarket replacements made of composite materials. You can change out grip and forend parts easily. They also offer a folding stock model if you like that configuration.

By the way - The Yugo is the most accurate of the 4 AK's I have owned - and that using cheap Wolf ammo.

I wouldn't really call 7.62x39 a battle rifle cartridge to begin with. If I wanted to shoot that caliber, I'd get an SKS and save the rest of my money for a real battle rifle. I have an sks and I'd it utterly reliable, easy to maintain and quite accurate to 200 yards (used to shoot mine in Highpower matches) and did pretty ok with it for a (69.00 rifle at the time). Mini 30's have never been known for great accuracy.

Love my Yugo SKS...in 7.62.39 Never failed one time.

Larger mags are nice of course but the stock 10 rounder will get the job done.

Eats golden tiger 7.62x39 like a champ. Honestly, never failed me one time, if a SHTF episode ever came up she would be the first one I would go for.

Last edited:
I think he didn't mean a true battle rifle. (.308).

I think he just meant a "mil style" rifle. In which case, sks as mentioned, or any AK variant will due. I still beat the piss out of my wasr and it keeps running, it may be minute of man-ish couch-ish....but it gets it done. Buy cheap, fill in the rest of that 1k with ammo.

Another vote for vz.58...but if your peace of mind is worth the extra money do yourself a favor and get a Czech-point instead of the Century builds that have begun to flood the market.

Back
Top Bottom