• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

Best 7.62 x 39 Battle Rifle for under $1,000.00 ?

glockstar

NES Member
So like the title says i'm considering buying a 7.62 x 39 Battle Rifle but not exactly sure what is really out there other than your typical AK variant. ( already have one ) I'd like to keep it 7.62 x 39 so that I can cut down on too many different types of ammo. I'd like it to be High Cap, (20rnds or more) and to be accurate out to at least 200 yrds.
Any suggestions or other good requirements i'm forgetting would be appreciated. Price cap of $1,000 also applies.

Thanks

A good quality SKS is way under $1000 and there is plenty of stuff to customize it to your hearts content. I used to shoot NRA highpower with a $69.00 Norinco with Norinco Ammo. Shot 342 to 370 with it, still have it, and it still shoots great.

I got this SKS model D that takes AK mags for under $500:

100_1729.jpg

100_1731.jpg

Its very accurate and very reliable.

I have two of these. Built like a tank with a milled receiver. Light, reliable and accurate, and stay open after the last round unlike an AK. Downsides... they don't use AK mags and the barrel gets VERY hot.

They are fun to shoot.

I was introduced to this rifle by a Mass State Police officer. He and a fellow officer are big fans of this rifle.

Cheers,

Rich

See if Chris Lambert at AK USA has anything kicking around for sale. I have one of his Russian Saiga conversions. Astounding rifle.

I have one of the Saiga-762's done by Hess back in '95. People tell me it has a really nice trigger and I have yet to clean the thing to date and it has performed flawlessly. I'd like to note, though, that the OP asked for a "battle" rifle, which to me means at least a 20" barrel in a full size rifle. I consider a 16" AK to be an "assault" rifle. At least that's what I've picked up along the way, could be wrong.

Yes, poetic license aside, the general term battle rifle may also encompass cartridges of which the 7.62X39 is not a part of in the first place but that was listed in the spirit of the posts. In some circles the M43 is considered clipped conventional. It's NATO bloc anthesis would be improved varmint.

Paying 1k for a 7.62x39 seems silly to me, because the best ones are the AK styles or SKS, both of which are cheap. It is part of their design, and one of their strengths.

You could try finding a Galil in 7.62x39. They are not super common in that caliber and might not be at or below the $1000 mark but Galils are great rifles. Try finding one built on a spec ORF receiver.

price cap of $1k?

russian-t3.jpg

step 1: buy russian type 3 parts kit on gunbroker for $500-600
step 2: send it to a gunsmith known as "turbothis" on a few enthusiast forums that operates out of Oregon. (mygunsnorthwest.com) Get it welded up for $350 or $225 if you have a 3 part cut receiver.
step 3: be awesome because you now own a russian type 3!!

Last edited:
Paying 1k for a 7.62x39 seems silly to me, because the best ones are the AK styles or SKS, both of which are cheap. It is part of their design, and one of their strengths.

cheap defines the lower end of the spectrum. If you go for more unique/rare AKM's and SKS's you can easily find yourself in the $1k range.

A good quality SKS is way under $1000 and there is plenty of stuff to customize it to your hearts content. I used to shoot NRA highpower with a $69.00 Norinco with Norinco Ammo. Shot 342 to 370 with it, still have it, and it still shoots great.

Please let us know where we can get this "$69.00 Norinco".

The Vz. 58 looks nice, has milled reciever, but doesn't accept AK mags. So now you have to go out and find 10rnd mags for this Rifle or do they make preban 30rnds? I read about this Rifle 2 or 3 months back and was under the impression it was something new. I guess the mags are my biggest issue, confusing the Vz mags with Ak mags and the availability of the Vz mags thats seems like the only draw back on this one.

The Vz. 58 looks nice, has milled reciever, but doesn't accept AK mags. So now you have to go out and find 10rnd mags for this Rifle or do they make preban 30rnds? I read about this Rifle 2 or 3 months back and was under the impression it was something new. I guess the mags are my biggest issue, confusing the Vz mags with Ak mags and the availability of the Vz mags thats seems like the only draw back on this one.

Preban mags are available. In fact you can buy them here:

http://www.czechpoint-usa.com/produ...cessories/vz-58-parts-and-accessories/?list=6

They are original (preban) surplus mags, and refinished preban mags. They stopped making this rifle in the early 80's so military surplus mags are from the same time period or earlier. I've stocked up on mags so my 17 year old son will have enough for his lifetime too. FYI you do want some 10 rounders too, 'cause the damn 30 rounders do extend down pretty far, and can get in the way when shooting from a rifle rest.

This company refinishes the rifles from head to toe, and gives a five year warranty.

It is a cool rifle. I'm in metrowest. If you get out this way I'm glad to share.

Best,

Rich

Another option could be a Mini 30. I see them on here occasionally for aroung $500.
I'm not crazy about them, but that's only because I sold mine to buy an AK!
It was a nice rifle but it was an older one. Only real issue was the early barrels were bored for .308. If it were any other caliber I would've reloaded it.
The whole point was to shoot 7.62x39 which measures .311. So accuracy suffered.
However from what I understand sometime in the mid 90's the bore was increased to .310? Perhaps.
Let this whole package go for $500. Plus flash suppressor & aftermarket iron sights you cant really see in pic.

069.jpg

Back
Top Bottom