• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

Best 1911's - Top Tier - Looking for recommendations

A heavily used plate/pin gun is probably going to be built on a steel frame and weigh more than something you would typically carry. If you iwb and have no ass, you may need suspenders to keep your pants up.

I agree. You get what you pay for to a certain point, then on the top tier the extra is fit, finish, and reliability.

Longevity is a big one too. depending on a maker. factory 1911 is not a high volume gun, they start to eat themselves apart within a year of heavy use. That is not the case with a good custom gun. They will go many years with high volume shooting.

While on the subject, anybody have a line on a quality used 1911 in .38 Super?

I picked up a Springer RO in 9mm a few years ago. I got super lucky on the package and ended up with a budget gun that is super accurate, eats anything I feed it, low recoil and and used to be cheap to shoot. It got me curious on smaller caliber 1911s like .38 Super and 9x23.

Longevity is a big one too. depending on a maker. factory 1911 is not a high volume gun, they start to eat themselves apart within a year of heavy use. That is not the case with a good custom gun. They will go many years with high volume shooting.

I ran @10,000 rounds per year for 3 years with my “Ned gun”. Mostly 200 gr flat points at moderate power. Recoil spring changes and good cleaning habits kept it running like a top.

I agree. You get what you pay for to a certain point, then on the top tier the extra is fit, finish, and reliablity.

Dan Wesson for the price point really is a fine gun and the most I've ever consider paying for a 1911. Ive had Springfields, Smiths and Rugers. Never a problem with any of them, the amount I shoot them. And that really is the key. I don't shoot them enough to spend a lot of money on one gun. I can't even tell the difference....except maybe in finish.....Smith, Springfield, Ruger in that order of finish quality.

I've got a Rock Island for my bang around 1911....but its not what I would call super reliable or what I would want for a 1911.......low tier, dont expect much for that kind of money. It goes bang 98% of the time. I woudn't carry it in defense of my life. I would never bother with "making it better" I'd just buy a better name gun instead.

I feel if I paid 4 grand for a 1911, it would just a be a safe queen. But I woudn't knock anyone for buying a Nighthawk, Ed Brown, etc.......they are quality guns.

I'll also say, i don't carry 1911's at all for self defense for the most part. The Glock or the Canik work for me. I don't want the weight of a 1911, and when you try to lighten them with aluminum frames, they just become tougher to shoot because of recoil. And correct me if I'm wrong, but 1911's were not made to be 9mm and maybe some of them are great, but I still think its a issue.
I bought a rock island GI for the sole purpose of "making it better". I figure if I butchered it, not a huge loss. Great range gun for the money though, never had a problem with either of the ones I bought. I left one stock, and then modified the other for practice.

+1 for the safe queen comment. If I bought a super expensive and sexy 1911, it would probably never get carried.

My current black hole is buying older Colts and sprucing them up. Very enjoyable.

I agree.......the amount I shoot any 1911, it would last me 20 years or more.

Like anything else....if you use it alot and don't buy the best, expect to replace it, or just buy the best once and cry once so it will last.

I don't think anyone buys a 1K and under 1911 and expects to bash 10k/yr rounds thru it. They buy it for the novelty of having a 1911, and shooting one once and a while.
Serious guys that shoot alot, and carry..........they are probably already into the custom stuff.

Last edited:
Instead of going full custom, ask Greg what is a good platform to start with, that he can take and make it kick a**.

Could be a cheaper SW 1911 and for a grand or so he makes it awesome.
True.....this is where you could save some cash vs. buying a full custom. Depending on how much awesomeness costs.

While on the subject, anybody have a line on a quality used 1911 in .38 Super?

I picked up a Springer RO in 9mm a few years ago. I got super lucky on the package and ended up with a budget gun that is super accurate, eats anything I feed it, low recoil and and used to be cheap to shoot. It got me curious on smaller caliber 1911s like .38 Super and 9x23.
The go-to caliber today in that diameter for a 1911 is 38 Super Comp - 38 super without the semi-rim; uses a 9x19 breechface although onbe for 38 super will work, and guns that shoot 38 super generally work with 38 supercomp.

I bought a rock island GI for the sole purpose of "making it better". I figure if I butchered it, not a huge loss. Great range gun for the money though, never had a problem with either of the ones I bought. I left one stock, and then modified the other for practice.

+1 for the safe queen comment. If I bought a super expensive and sexy 1911, it would probably never get carried.

My current black hole is buying older Colts and sprucing them up. Very enjoyable.
I have a Rock Island 10mm, the first one would never lock back on the last round. Either the slide stop or the notch for it in the slide was out of spec. I sent it back to them and they just sent me back a new gun and that one has worked perfectly. Granted I don't have a ton of rounds thru it but they made it right without much hassle.

They don’t use MIM parts but they absolutely use some cast parts
Yeah it looks like the mag catch might be the only cast part on a DW?
Keith at DW said this back in 2016 post #18
MIM is a completely different process than casting and lends itself to being more brittle than casting. Casting does have its drawbacks, strength isn't one of them.

There are absolutely no MIM parts in any, currant, DW 1911's.

The line on the mag catch is a cast line.

Then the Korth PRS 1911 must be like fentanyl.

Featuring a fixed barrel and gas operated delayed roller locking breech.

View: https://youtu.be/02ZdYUPtp7g

I just can't. Not that I could afford one anyway, but the notion of a German made 1911 is just wrong.
I watched the video, which was great by the way, and agree that the design and quality are amazing, but a German 1911? No.

I am also a little surprised that with all of the care they take in the machining, and the quality of the design, that the aesthetic is just, meh. It's blocky and kind of strange. Like an HK -1911 love child.

ETA: And the sights suck. I don't know exactly what they cost because it is next to impossible to find accurate info, but assuming it is a $5k firearm, and they don't even bother to put decent sights on it.

Last edited:
Nope they can’t tell ….. well They can’t tell until their extractor breaks off at 1k round mark
Hey! In my defense I knew that the Bear Creek Arsenal extractor was the weak part when getting into an AR in 7.62x39[laugh]
x39 AR extractors are prone to breakage from what I've read. Probably a combination of steel/lacquered cases etc.
I guess steel expands and contracts slower than brass and is harder on the extractor.
I did a lot of research before buying one and all reviews said the extractor will break anywhere between 400 and 1k rounds. Now I'm just going to keep extras (good quality) as I'm not a low volume shooter[laugh]

This is NOT a STHF go-to rifle by any means[laugh]

Hey! In my defense I knew that the Bear Creek Arsenal extractor was the weak part when getting into an AR in 7.62x39[laugh]
I did a lot of research before buying one and all reviews said the extractor will break anywhere between 400 and 1k rounds. Now I'm just going to keep extras (good quality) as I'm not a low volume shooter[laugh]

This is NOT a STHF go-to rifle by any means[laugh]
Because we all know the review by Joe bob in Kentucky or destructo694 in Texas are gospel 🤣🤣

I just can't. Not that I could afford one anyway, but the notion of a German made 1911 is just wrong.
I watched the video, which was great by the way, and agree that the design and quality are amazing, but a German 1911? No.

I am also a little surprised that with all of the care they take in the machining, and the quality of the design, that the aesthetic is just, meh. It's blocky and kind of strange. Like an HK -1911 love child.

ETA: And the sights suck. I don't know exactly what they cost because it is next to impossible to find accurate info, but assuming it is a $5k firearm, and they don't even bother to put decent sights on it.

Funny, I watched that video and immediately started trying to figure out how I could get a PRS (both finding one and figuring out which of my current guns I wanted to sell to fund it). I'm sure the sights work just fine, not that it's the kind of gun you buy to carry around all day.

If anybody has any leads I'd appreciate it. [laugh]

IMHO there are for 1911s: Production ($600-2000), Semi-Production ($2000-5000), and Custom ($5000-12K+)
If I had to give current recommendations:
Production: Dan Wesson, Springfield (TRP),
Semi: Nighthawk, Staccato, Alchemy, Evolution Armory, Springfield Custom Shop
Custom: Chambers Custom, BEC, Jason Burton, Ted Yost, Jeremy Reid, Luke Volkman, Dave Laubert, Combat Precision

Personally I would stay away from any 1911 under $1200 unless you are using it strictly as base gun (Colt/Springfield). Every once in a while you can get a good factory gun where everything adds up properly, but its a crap shoot.

Instead of going full custom, ask Greg what is a good platform to start with, that he can take and make it kick a**.

Could be a cheaper SW 1911 and for a grand or so he makes it awesome.

That’s setting cash on fire compared to just buying the gun you wanted to begin with. It's worth it for something sentimental maybe. Or you want a certain look.

It's not really a 1911 though so doesn't count.

The same way a smith 945 isn't a 1911.

If it doesn't have that shitty f***ing swinging link in it, it cant be a 1911. [laugh]

Personally I would stay away from any 1911 under $1200 unless you are using it strictly as base gun (Colt/Springfield). Every once in a while you can get a good factory gun where everything adds up properly, but its a crap shoot.

...though, YMMV...

I've owned about seven 1911s, all different makers. All of them functioned just fine. I've never spent more than $1000, and that was for the Randall (same for a CLOACP in MA).

I know, I know. I'm a skinflint...

How the heck are ya'll talking about high end 1911's without mentioning Cabot?

Because typically thats the easily identifiable "more money than brains dept." * I mean this is subjective, but I think theyre styling and asthetics, rollmarks, are gaudy as f***. Hard block. [rofl]

Like if I saw a guy carrying a cabot I would be like "I bet that guy smokes those $700 ghurka cigars, and pays full retail for them. " [rofl]

...though, YMMV...

I've owned about seven 1911s, all different makers. All of them functioned just fine. I've never spent more than $1000, and that was for the Randall (same for a CLOACP in MA).

I know, I know. I'm a skinflint...
I have had a handfull sub $1000 1911's that have been good and had others that had intermittent feed/extraction problems. Like I said its a crap shoot.
FWIW I've heard really good things about the new production RIA 1911's if we are talking about the low end.
How the heck are ya'll talking about high end 1911's without mentioning Cabot?
Cabot goes into the category of expensive luxury object, but I have heard really really bad things about actual QC and fit. If you are looking for a gun to shoot, I'd stay away from Cabot. Incidentally I would also stay away from new prodcution Wilson Supergrade pistols, I've handled a few and mechanically they were embarrasingly bad.

IMHO there are for 1911s: Production ($600-2000), Semi-Production ($2000-5000), and Custom ($5000-12K+)
If I had to give current recommendations:
Production: Dan Wesson, Springfield (TRP),
Semi: Nighthawk, Staccato, Alchemy, Evolution Armory, Springfield Custom Shop
Custom: Chambers Custom, BEC, Jason Burton, Ted Yost, Jeremy Reid, Luke Volkman, Dave Laubert, Combat Precision

I think that's kind of over the top advice. I've got a 70 series colt 38 super that runs like a top, A sig TTT that runs great, and sw1911pd that runs 100%, I don't shoot the scandium frame gun that much though. I don't have anywhere near 1200 into any of them though and they are all guns I'd have no problem relying on.

I have had a handfull sub $1000 1911's that have been good and had others that had intermittent feed/extraction problems. Like I said its a crap shoot.
FWIW I've heard really good things about the new production RIA 1911's if we are talking about the low end.

Cabot goes into the category of expensive luxury object, but I have heard really really bad things about actual QC and fit. If you are looking for a gun to shoot, I'd stay away from Cabot. Incidentally I would also stay away from new prodcution Wilson Supergrade pistols, I've handled a few and mechanically they were embarrasingly bad.
I believe Cabot oursources machining of some of the parts.

Back
Top Bottom