Best 1911's - Top Tier - Looking for recommendations

fencer

NES Member
Hoping to get some advice from the NES braintrust.
I've decided that it's time to buy a really nice 1911. This gun will not be a safe queen, and I have every intention of carrying it at times and shooting it often.
I had pretty much made up my mind that I was going to begin the hunt for a Wilson Combat CQB, and then while doing my homework, Nighthawk Customs kept coming up.
There is no doubt in my mind that Nighthawk makes some beautiful 1911's but does anyone have experience with either or both manufacturers?

I'd like something that is well suited for plates and pins as well as being a super reliable self defense gun.
Any input or advice is appreciated.

I'm sure you can't go wrong with either. Most places don't seem to be doing full custom builds now. Which one makes the closest to what you want as a stock option? I've been looking forever but can't justify the price yet. There's a Guncrafter commander on 1911 addicts that's pretty much exactly my dream carry 1911 but $4k is a bit steep lol

I think one of the main attractions to Nighthawk is it's one smith making the pistol.

Yeah, they are both pretty pricey, but the way I look at it is "in for a penny, in for a pound." I also figure that they are not going to get any cheaper.
Both have "stock" offerings that are perfect for what I am looking for. Both are hand fitted.
Owners of both makers say they are the best.

Yeah, they are both pretty pricey, but the way I look at it is "in for a penny, in for a pound." I also figure that they are not going to get any cheaper.
Both have "stock" offerings that are perfect for what I am looking for. Both are hand fitted.
Owners of both makers say they are the best.
What's your dream 1911 out of curiosity? Have you checked out Alchemy custom weaponry?

I went old-skool when I wanted a nice 1911. A Randall A131 made in the eighties, all stainless, 10-groove barrel, rib on the slide to soak up the recoil.

Might not be what you’re picturing, but it’s a first-rate pistol.

62BAC790-1C01-4A69-AD77-09964160859E.jpeg

What's your dream 1911 out of curiosity? Have you checked out Alchemy custom weaponry?
I would like an all business 1911 that is a tack driver and drop dead reliable. I think the only thing I would change on the CQB shown below is the grips. I am wondering if a crowned barrel makes sense.

1640494944001.png

Are you dead set on a full-size? Having a full-size S&W E-series and a 4" compact Springfield I've really come to realize I just want a bobtail commander lol.

It's crazy how close that is to my dream set up. Maybe having hard chrome controls but that's cosmetic.
That's a sweet pistol. But he's looking to trade it for a Wilson Combat or a Nighthawk. :)

That's a sweet pistol. But he's looking to trade it for a Wilson Combat or a Nighthawk. :)
I'm talking the overall build not so much the maker. Though I'm sure it's splitting hairs from anyone at that price point. I'm sure you noticed he even mentioned how some NHC smiths may not stack up to the build.

I'm talking the overall build not so much the maker. Though I'm sure it's splitting hairs from anyone at that price point. I'm sure you noticed he even mentioned how some NHC smiths may not stack up to the build.
I did notice that. And it seems that NHC keeps popping up, when talking 1911s. LOL
Would prefer full size (5"), a black finish, front and rear slide serrations, 40 LPI checkering, oversized safety and up swept beaver tail, combat sights.

I think if I were to go with NHC I would likely be their Talon model. Which is actually one of their more inexpensive models.

1640497598973.png
1640497773662.png

I am sure they are awesome and their reputation is exceptional, and no offense meant, but I would prefer something more traditional.

Yeah, they're not for everybody, but it is a true custom, they're built to order, they have no off-the-shelf stock models.
You spec it out exactly the way you want it, and they build it for you, it's like ordering an Aston or a Ferrari, you check off the options you want.
They can build you a bland single stack if you want, but what's the fun in that ???
I played with their "Gun Builder" page about 10 years ago, and the number of options then were simply staggering, they probably have a whole lot more now.
Seriously, I spent nearly an hour trying to replicate the one I personally own (the legendary Purple gun - GOAL raffle grand prize) and I was blown away by the sheer number of options. It was really an arduous task to read them all and make choices because there are too many to choose from in each category, and there were like 65 categories!
Honestly, it was bordering on the absurd, my head was spinning from information overload. o_O

If you're the indecisive type, I urge you NOT to play with the Infinity "Gun Builder", you'll get frustrated after a few hours.
You pretty much choose every part of the gun and it's finish type, you can mix & match colors too.
It gets tougher to spec out when you're faced with choices like 11 different triggers, 7 different hammer profiles, unknown how many slide lengths, profiles, ports, weights etc. to choose from. There are no two alike, it is what you want it to be.

Yeah, they're not for everybody, but it is a true custom, they're built to order, they have no off-the-shelf stock models.
You spec it out exactly the way you want it, and they build it for you, it's like ordering an Aston or a Ferrari, you check off the options you want.
They can build you a bland single stack if you want, but what's the fun in that ???
I played with their "Gun Builder" page about 10 years ago, and the number of options then were simply staggering, they probably have a whole lot more now.
Seriously, I spent nearly an hour trying to replicate the one I personally own (the legendary Purple gun - GOAL raffle grand prize) and I was blown away by the sheer number of options. It was really an arduous task to read them all and make choices because there are too many to choose from in each category, and there were like 65 categories!
Honestly, it was bordering on the absurd, my head was spinning from information overload. o_O

If you're the indecisive type, I urge you NOT to play with the Infinity "Gun Builder", you'll get frustrated after a few hours.
You pretty much choose every part of the gun and it's finish type, you can mix & match colors too.
It gets tougher to spec out when you're faced with choices like 11 different triggers, 7 different hammer profiles, unknown how many slide lengths, profiles, ports, weights etc. to choose from. There are no two alike, it is what you want it to be.
That is a sweet raffle prize. I bet that raises an eyebrow or two when you take it to the range.

I have some experience with les baer and nighthawk. Both very nice guns. Les Baer is less $$ than nighthawk. Nighthawk is better looking. Triggers are fabulous but agin I think inwould give a slight edge to nighthawk. You can get a Les Baer with a 1.5 inch guarantee(50 yards) Not sure how tight the nighthawk would group.

I've decided that it's time to buy a really nice 1911. This gun will not be a safe queen, and I have every intention of carrying it at times and shooting it often.
I had pretty much made up my mind that I was going to begin the hunt for a Wilson Combat CQB, and then while doing my homework, Nighthawk Customs kept coming up.
There is no doubt in my mind that Nighthawk makes some beautiful 1911's but does anyone have experience with either or both manufacturers?

I'd like something that is well suited for plates and pins as well as being a super reliable self defense gun.
Wilson is semi custom and runs a production line where their “gunsmiths” so the same job over and over, like fitting the trigger.

Nighthawk was formed because the real Wilson gunsmiths were pissed when they changed from custom to semi custom so they left and formed their own company in the same town.

I sell both and Nighthawks are objectively nicer guns. The wait for a new Nighthawk is over a year. New Wilson’s are a lot shorter wait (I am direct from factory dealer for both).

Personally I would go nighthawk over Wilson.

Give greg derr a call

Does buying a 1911 in these price ranges more or less guarantee flawless, reliable function?
😂😂😂😂😂

NO

Buddy of mine had an sti he paid huge money for that went back 5 times and still won't run 100 percent. Same woth Cajun gunworks.....have another buddy that paid big money for a Cajun and it's been back multiple times.

For my army retirement gift from my wife she offered me any handgun I wanted......she said budget was wide open. I chose a sig 1911 for $950 and I couldn't be happier. I shoot the shit out of that thing.....its hiccuped exactly one time and that was on a reload of mine that wasn't crimped enough. Will be using it for bullseye league this winter too.....worked up some reloads that I can get all shots in the 8 ring or better at 50 feet. It's a nice pistol.

Last edited:
I ask because reliability seems to be high up on fencer’s list of concerns. I never got much past the $2k mark on my one 1911 adventure (a colt that had been upgraded and worked over by a very reputable smith), but that didn’t run reliably and it turned me off to the whole platform. For $4k I would be pretty upset with any FTF or FTE nonsense.

Back
Top Bottom