• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

Beretta CX4 Storm vs. CZ Scorpion Carbine

jimy

NES Member
So I just picked up another CX4 Storm, this one of the newer ones in FDE. BTW, the trigger is much better than previous versions of the gun. My circa 2017-2018 version went to Sierra Papa for trigger work. This circa 2021 model has a trigger that’s just slightly heavier than the Sierra Papa upgraded trigger (less than a pound). I’m excited to save the $200 on another trigger upgrade.

I have not had my hands on a CZ Scorpion carbine yet. They’re interesting, especially as a SBR candidate. At the same time, the CX4 Storm is lighter, shorter, and takes more common magazines (including preban / non-neutered capacity magazines). The Scorpion has to be pinned and welded here in Massachusetts, which would negate a couple of the obvious advantages of the Scorpion in most other states. Plus you can just about buy two CX4 Storms for the same price as one Scorpion (I know because I did).

I’d love to hear your feedback and thoughts on pros/cons of each. I’d especially love to hear from people who have handled and shot both of these rifles for a comparison.

I have 2 as well.
A 9mm for the 92 mags and 45acp for the px4 storm mags.

Funny little tid bit i think i may have stumbled on. you may be able to thread the barrel on this without a hitch because the evil feature of the magazine being seperate from the grip is not counted on the cx4 like it is with the scorpian.

I just wish someone would develop a binary trigger for the cx4.
So we can get close to the mx4 feeling.

I’ve had an Evo3 Scorpion for a few years now. I’ve tried really hard to like it, but I just don’t. I swapped out the trigger and springs with an HBI upgraded version. Changed the grip to correct an awkward factory grip angle and even picked up CZ’s bull pup kit for it. I still just find it big, clumsy and honestly, boring. I’ve never shot the Beretta before, so I can’t compare to it.

I’ve had an Evo3 Scorpion for a few years now. I’ve tried really hard to like it, but I just don’t. I swapped out the trigger and springs with an HBI upgraded version. Changed the grip to correct an awkward factory grip angle and even picked up CZ’s bull pup kit for it. I still just find it big, clumsy and honestly, boring. I’ve never shot the Beretta before, so I can’t compare to it.
Same, I’ve haven't shot my Scorpion since I picked up a Banshee. You can do all the upgrades you want and it’s still clunky. Direct blowback sucks compared to a delayed action.

I have 2 as well.
A 9mm for the 92 mags and 45acp for the px4 storm mags.

Funny little tid bit i think i may have stumbled on. you may be able to thread the barrel on this without a hitch because the evil feature of the magazine being seperate from the grip is not counted on the cx4 like it is with the scorpian.

I just wish someone would develop a binary trigger for the cx4.
So we can get close to the mx4 feeling.

That’s a very cool video of the MX4. I’ve also realized that the CX4 is “featureless.” I’m considering going the SBR route with one and getting a threaded barrel on it.

Same, I’ve haven't shot my Scorpion since I picked up a Banshee. You can do all the upgrades you want and it’s still clunky. Direct blowback sucks compared to a delayed action.
It’s just a big chunk of unnecessary plastic. It’s far too tall as well. I could understand if it was based on a preexisting 7.62 rifle, but as a modern, clean sheet pistol carbine, it’s cumbersome.

That’s a very cool video of the MX4. I’ve also realized that the CX4 is “featureless.” I’m considering going the SBR route with one and getting a threaded barrel on it.
same here for both of them.
They'll both be my first sbr's.

Just gotta find some of those 30 round pre bans and not get raped on them.

I have a CZ Scorpion SBR and it’s a different beast once you shorten that barrel down. Of course it is also heavily modded, which makes for a more ergonomic and lighter carbine. Cutting down the front rail handguard along with the barrel is a huge plus in terms of usability.

Not a fan of the Beretta. Don’t like the ergonomics or manual of arms. Prefer a seperate magwell from the grip for reloads, don’t like the fixed stock, etc. You can customize the CZ to your heart’s content and there are a number of options for mags, including from Magpul, which is my preference. FYI, in a free state, I’d have the stock CZ stock back on as I prefer the option to side fold. The AR stock was just so I wouldn’t have to drill and fix the standard stock.

1151E558-1EF1-4691-B6CB-92D20FDD641B.jpeg

Last edited:
same here for both of them.
They'll both be my first sbr's.

Just gotta find some of those 30 round pre bans and not get raped on them.
Do you have a preference between the 9mm and the .45? I have not shot the .45 yet.

I’ve owned the cx4 and am a beretta fanatic. However the scorpion is a gem. Mine is setup w a pistol brace, 3 lug mount and YHM R9. if you’ve got the means to form 1 a CZ scorpion, DO IT.

People…a CZ scorpion is well under $1k and needs little to no modifications. Mags are prevalent and cheap. An HK USC, SP5 or clones are far more expensive, and from perspective of launching pistol projectiles, is no better than a scorpion. this is like soliciting info from Toyota Camry owners and then suggesting to purchase a Porsche. It’s all very cool and very irrelevant.

People…a CZ scorpion is well under $1k and needs little to no modifications. Mags are prevalent and cheap. An HK USC, SP5 or clones are far more expensive, and from perspective of launching pistol projectiles, is no better than a scorpion. this is like soliciting info from Toyota Camry owners and then suggesting to purchase a Porsche. It’s all very cool and very irrelevant.
Not really. I've had the Beretta, the CZ, and the HK. Sold the others, kept the USC. Beretta & EVO felt like toys.

Not really. I've had the Beretta, the CZ, and the HK. Sold the others, kept the USC. Beretta & EVO felt like toys.
It’s a polymer pistol caliber carbine. Compared to 90% of the rifles out there, it is a toy. The benefit of a PCC over more traditional rifles is lighter weight, shorter length of pull, more easily used/carried in tight spaces or hidden and commonality of cartridge with handguns.

The USC is 45ACP and heavy/thick for a PCC with very awkward mags. I like them, but “solid” isn’t the feeling I would want in a true PCC. I’ll probably still own one because Hk, but it has it’s flaws in it’s design…

I like mine, I think it's decent, but shit, any roller lock, or delayed blowback, or gas gun is the top of the heap anyways. But you are going to pay for it, lol.

The best part about a skorpion is its not a f***ing POS storm or a KelTec. uch.

The 2nd best thing is the magazines it takes are cheap, and decent. And they're real staggered mags not pistol mags etc.

I don't understand that at all, how is an HK with shitty overpriced 10 rd mags better? It's basically a conversion host for HK fanbois. Nobody leaves those things stock.

I like mine, I think it's decent, but shit, any roller lock, or delayed blowback, or gas gun is the top of the heap anyways. But you are going to pay for it, lol.

The best part about a skorpion is its not a f***ing POS storm or a KelTec. uch.

The 2nd best thing is the magazines it takes are cheap, and decent. And they're real staggered mags not pistol mags etc.
A Storm is plastic but it’s solid and it’s much more usable and comfortable than a Keltec. A Keltec is in a world of its own POU. Backpack gun is what comes to mind.

It’s a polymer pistol caliber carbine. Compared to 90% of the rifles out there, it is a toy. The benefit of a PCC over more traditional rifles is lighter weight, shorter length of pull, more easily used/carried in tight spaces or hidden and commonality of cartridge with handguns.

The USC is 45ACP and heavy/thick for a PCC with very awkward mags. I like them, but “solid” isn’t the feeling I would want in a true PCC. I’ll probably still own one because Hk, but it has it’s flaws in it’s design…
I get it. Just couldn't get past the toy feeling of the others. I like solid personally.
The mags do suck. Still prefer it over the other two. Thought I'd like the CZ but I just really didn't. YMMV.
Just wanted to toss it in, especially after .45 ACP was added to the conversation

I don't understand that at all, how is an HK with shitty overpriced 10 rd mags better? It's basically a conversion host for HK fanbois. Nobody leaves those things stock.
See a metric ton of modified CX's and EVO's, so I don't know why the HK should be held to a different standard. I like .45ACP, had a Storm in it and hated everything about it honestly. NBD - sold it. Thought the EVO was gonna get me to go 9mm PCC but it just felt awkward, clunky. Sold that one too. Was trying to find a decent Vector in .45 but no joy - so trying the HK. If it works out great - if not I'll sell it. Life's too short not to try new things.

See a metric ton of modified CX's and EVO's, so I don't know why the HK should be held to a different standard.

Because it costs twice as much to make it decent, lol. a UMP conversion is at least like $2500 all in. (maybe more I dont keep track of the prices of that shit, I just know its stupid money) You can get an evo and change a few things to whatever your taste is and be "done" for a little over a grand and have a pile of mags to boot.

I agree if you want .45 there arent that many choices though. That and the storm is basically gutter trash, frankly it doesnt belong in the realm. I dont even know why beretta still makes that thing. It's like someone took a Beretta 9000 and turned it into a PCC lol

Have a Evo but now I run my Banshee almost exclusively. Not a fan of the trigger on the Evo or the recoil impulse caused by the gigantic bolt.

Any of you or anyone else who has an Evo they don't want, and want to sell for a reasonable used price, let me know. I've been thinking of picking one up and SBR-ing it.

Any of you or anyone else who has an Evo they don't want, and want to sell for a reasonable used price, let me know. I've been thinking of picking one up and SBR-ing it.
There are two for sale in the classifieds right now. Buy it. SBR it. You won't be disappointed.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom