Becoming a firearms safety instuctor?

Could anyone enlighten me as to how one would become a certified firearms safety instructor in Massachusetts?

Where would I go to be trained/certified?
What is the length of the course?
What is the cost?

Any and all help is appreciated.

Could anyone enlighten me as to how one would become a certified firearms safety instructor in Massachusetts?

Where would I go to be trained/certified?
What is the length of the course?
What is the cost?

Any and all help is appreciated.

Send a PM to KMaurer - he taught my class and was very good. You could also try posting in the "training" thread. Length of the course depends on what you want to specialize in. Basic pistol is a weekend, basic rifle is another weekend. You also need to take the home firearm safety course, which is 1 day. I think Ken charged us about $350 for home firearm safety plus basic pistol.

I ordered the Range Safety Officer course from the NRA. It is a home study course and I sent in my test last week. I will take the GOAL course to be a Chief Range Safety Officer offered in the spring if I pass. The NRA course can be found at:

http://www.nrahq.org/education/training/rso.asp

An RSO is a very different thing from an Instructor. I do hope to get an NRA Basic Pistol cert at some point.

1. Take the NRA handgun instructor class ($200 - $350)

2. Wait for your NRA certificate to arrive in the mail

3. Send in a cipy of your LTC and your NRA cert with you application for a MA firearms instructor certification ($50 for 10 years, $10 for a 10 year renewal)

You don't need any of the above to teach a class, but you need the state certification if you want your class to count for LTC purposes.

1. Take the NRA handgun instructor class ($200 - $350)

2. Wait for your NRA certificate to arrive in the mail

3. Send in a cipy of your LTC and your NRA cert with you application for a MA firearms instructor certification ($50 for 10 years, $10 for a 10 year renewal)

You don't need any of the above to teach a class, but you need the state certification if you want your class to count for LTC purposes.

I'm thinking of doing the same thing as the OP. I do not have a NR MA LTC. Will I need to obtain one in order to get the MA instructor certificate?

Give Jon Green a call at GOAL. I would highly recommend his course especially if you want to be an Instructor and hold true to the course outline. Jon and Darius have a lot of integrity, you will be challenged throughout it....but you will walk away with the fundamentals to teach a thorough class.

Give Jon Green a call at GOAL. I would highly recommend his course especially if you want to be an Instructor and hold true to the course outline. Jon and Darius have a lot of integrity, you will be challenged throughout it....but you will walk away with the fundamentals to teach a thorough class.

This. I'm signed up for the Februrary class at GOAL. Last I talked to Jon, January may have had one spot left, and Feb had several. I've done other classes with Jon and he's an excellent teacher.

Thanks for starting this thread. I should re-apply for my RSO....let it lapse many years ago.

I'm thinking of doing the same thing as the OP. I do not have a NR MA LTC. Will I need to obtain one in order to get the MA instructor certificate?
Yes, unless you become a resident and get a resident LTC.

This. I'm signed up for the Februrary class at GOAL. Last I talked to Jon, January may have had one spot left, and Feb had several. I've done other classes with Jon and he's an excellent teacher.

I just filled the January class.

I have a lot of spaces left in the February class. Give me a call at the GOAL office on Monday to get more info.

Back
Top Bottom