Bay State Arms

Sorry if you took my message the wrong way

I have kept the specifics about what we're doing at Bob's Tactical to a minimum while posting online because many of the changes weren't/aren't set in stone. I don't want to lead anyone down the wrong path and I feel I already have, thinking that the projected opening would be sometime in January.

Laura seems to post very frequently out of concern and I simply put out the invitation for her to call or stop by and see for herself what we have done at this point. This is purely to put her at ease and to reassure her that we will be opening shortly. I will be happy to list the changes already made. I will not post anything that is a work in progress.

Laura, please look at this as an open invitation to visit our shop prior to opening...or anyone for that matter. We are proud of what we have already accomplished.

1. Showroom floor painted tile red.
2. Showcases refurbed/restained and new plexi tops on all but 4 tops.
3. All shelving restained and poly'd.
4. All showroom ceiling tiles replaced.
5. Removal of Big Al's inventory/trash/etc. (internal) took 3 weeks and about 12-14 dumpster loads.
6. Removal of Big Al's cabinets etc. (external) 22 cubic yards of debris.
7. Repaired carrier system, re-lagged to ceiling.
8. Replaced bulbs and cleaned lights on range (at least 50% light increase).
9. Ordered over $30,000 of new inventory which is on hold.
10. High speed internet connection installed.
11. Electrical fixed on front sign, now lit.
12. Lights fixed along driveway.
13. All insurance is in place.
14. Addition of a Saturday morning handgun safety class.

That's all I can think of off the top of my head. There are a bunch of major projects still in progress at this point.

I believe our customers will be very happy once they see what we have been up to.

We're at the shop 6-7 days a week doing most of the refurbs ourselves. We have had help from a few long time customers and we can't thank them enough.

If anyone has any questions or concerns, feel free to email or call if you'd like.

Thanks again for being patient,

Steve in MA

Steve, I'm sure it's going to be great. We're all anxious to see the opening, but I think some of our hopes were dashed, (I know mine was), by the expectation of it being ready by last month. If you look again at the homepage at Bob's - that's clearly the impression you give. At any rate, I'm looking forward to having a blast there again soon. I'm glad to read everything's on the up and up.

Adam,
We should be able to take almost all conventional handgun rounds minimum (the same as before). This aspect is one of the major projects under way. It all depends what system we decide to use as a backstop. I won't know until we chat further with our engineers etc. Our goal is widest variety of ammunition possible. High power/penetration I.E. rifle ammo is possible but tough to stop/deflect.

We also have to take into account the amount of rounds that go down range. This creates alot of wear to many systems.

I hope this helps. Thanks again for the support.

Steve in MA

Bob's Tactical opening

Thanks Steve for the update, I too have been waiting for the word that it is a Done Deal. The other day my better half asked "Do you wish that you had a Gun Shop to hang around?" You Bet. Jim :(

Firearms Safety is No accident. :D

Anyone know if Bob's has opened yet? The webpage still says it'll be opening in January but there's been no updates.

I stopped by this morning after hitting DD's for a coffee. Unfortunately the signs are still up announcing their temporary closure (the distance back to my office is only 2.3 miles). Typically Thursday’s are designated range days for my father and me. Its Bob’s tactical in the off season and inclement weather and the Georgetown Fish & Game in good weather. Luckily this winter has been warmer so we have had opportunity to shoot outside, but we can’t wait for Bob’s to open. Steve and Jim are great guy’s and very helpful. In fact Dad and I took our Class A LTC exam at Bob’s and Jim was our instructor.

This is like a never ending saga. "Guiding Light" is the longest running soap opera on TV, but this is a close second. <G> There, I got it out of my system.

Gary

Wow! Did a man just compare this saga to the Guiding Light? Too funny.
Well....I guess I'm not the only one who finds it odd that "papers" coming in the mail would cause this "delay." I sure hope everything is okay at Bob's Tactical. It would be nice to make it back there some day this spring.

Laura said:
Wow! Did a man just compare this saga to the Guiding Light? Too funny.
Well....I guess I'm not the only one who finds it odd that "papers" coming in the mail would cause this "delay." I sure hope everything is okay at Bob's Tactical. It would be nice to make it back there some day this spring.

Yes, I'm a 21st century Renaissance man! Actually, I Googled "Longest Running Soap Opera" and came up with Guiding Light. Which originally was "The Guiding Light" and started on radio in 1937.

Actually, I liked "The Secret Storm" when I was a kid.

Gary

Dirtypacman said:
No update yet :(

Hope everything is ok- waiting along with others.

I think we ought to plan an outing to Bob's once they re-open. Be nice to have a dozen or so NES members show up to pack the place.

I'll be happy to bring along a good chunk of my pistols for everyone to try, too...

Just a thought...

Re: comparing this to a soap opera.

I heard a report last night about a study showing that older people who watch soaps are significantly more likely to suffer from dementia than people the same age and overall health who don't watch them. They couldn't determine whether watching soaps caused dementia or was simply a symptom. [rolleyes]

Now what "daytime dramas" was it that you liked to watch? [wink]

Ken

KMaurer said:
Re: comparing this to a soap opera.

I heard a report last night about a study showing that older people who watch soaps are significantly more likely to suffer from dementia than people the same age and overall health who don't watch them. They couldn't determine whether watching soaps caused dementia or was simply a symptom. [rolleyes]

Now what "daytime dramas" was it that you liked to watch? [wink]

Ken

I FORGET!!!! <G>

Gary

OK,
Just to clear things up, I just got off the phone with Bob's Tactical. They have all of their licenses, and are now open for all business EXCEPT the range. They have their inventory in, and are selling guns and ammo, as well as training. The repairs and upgrades on the range portion are still under way, and will be completed in about a month. I introduced myself, and explained that I was calling on behalf of the forum users, and wanted to get clear answers so the speculation would be over. He was very nice about it, and invited anyone who wants, to come by and see the work that is going on. But said as well, the the doors are open for the store/showroom as we speak.

Hope this helps clear things up.
Adam

Good to know, Bob's is one of the best indoor ranges. It would have been a sad day if they closed up shop.

I have seen things like this in the past. Not specifically with gun shops/ranges, but it usually means the same thing. The new owner of the business, has all these great ideas on how he will better the facility. The ideas are of course great, and will make things better for business. However they are not quite prepared for the financial drain this will cause. Not having enough capitol to contract out the work, means you have to do it yourself, that takes much more time than first thought. You end up having to push back the opening, so the renovations can be completed.

I've seen it many times before, and the result is almost always a business owner that has more pride in his business than others. Hopefully that is transferred to the customers, and everyone ends up winning.

Adam

Thanks Adam. I was going to call myself, but working the hours I'm working as well as trying to get to therapy for the thumb, AND taking care of mom's needs, I only think about doing it around 10PM. [rolleyes]

Back
Top Bottom