Bass Pro Shops buys Cabelas

I'll miss the Herters ammo if BPS takes over everything. Cheap and good brass ammo [crying]

Walmart often has it on sale for really good prices.

Walmart is usually 36-45 cents for 5.56 (AE) with the 150pk closer to the 0.36/round.
223 is much cheaper, Tula is 0.28 regular price and Perfecta at 0.30

Best deals are when Dick's have sales for AE 5.56, but I know how much hate Dicks get here on NES...

Walmart is usually 36-45 cents for 5.56 (AE) with the 150pk closer to the 0.36/round.
223 is much cheaper, Tula is 0.28 regular price and Perfecta at 0.30

Best deals are when Dick's have sales for AE 5.56, but I know how much hate Dicks get here on NES...

Somehow I think 619DW has them all beat, at least on the non-reloadable stuff.

I will miss the primer sales and decent prices on powder, the Cabelas apparel, fudge, plentiful .22, wide ammo selection in most calibers, both hunting and target 12ga shells, hunting supplies, and the gun cave.

BPS is closer to dicks in comparison and Walmart has none of that.

I went into BPS down in Hooksett yesterday.
That was the worst excuse for a gun department that I've seen since the last time I was in Dicks.

That was the worst excuse for a gun department that I've seen since the last time I was in Dicks.

It's sad really. My kids gave me a $200 gift card to BPS for my 60th birthday. I went into the Hooksett BPS last weekend to buy nothing but primers and powder...they did have fair amount and a fairly decent selection of powder and not badly priced. I bought three pounds of 231 cause that's all they had and two pounds of Titegroup. I've got enough 4895 and 748 to last quite a while
Their primers on the other hand....no bulk primers and terrible selection...and expensive. I cleaned out their small rifle CCI primers and most of their large pistol primers. I figured that for me, everything was free and I'm trying to stock up before the election. I asked why they don't stock bulk primers....the guy said "economics"....they make more money on singles than bulk....bastards.

Last edited:
Skeroo these big box corporate caverns. The salesmonkeys are minimum wage (ok slightly above) drones who seldom know anything about the products is the department they are working in. I'd rather drive an hour south to Sam's Outdoor Outfitters in Swanzy. Nearly the same products but better quality, friendly knowledgeable staff and reasonable prices. They have a good selection of big & tall clothing which is good for me.

You will never, EVER, get skilled/knowledgeable people for $11/hour. That hourly wage does NOT afford people who would be motivated to do product research. You get what you pay-for, and big-box stores do NOT pay for knowledgeable people. Besides - the internet provides for your-own product education, research and marketing. You are expected to know and understand what you want before you come into the store. The personnel at these stores are there to tell you where to find product on the shelf - they are not "sales"-people who are paid a salary high-enough to enjoy the hobby and explore your application.

You will never, EVER, get skilled/knowledgeable people for $11/hour. That hourly wage does NOT afford people who would be motivated to do product research. You get what you pay-for, and big-box stores do NOT pay for knowledgeable people. Besides - the internet provides for your-own product education, research and marketing. You are expected to know and understand what you want before you come into the store. The personnel at these stores are there to tell you where to find product on the shelf - they are not "sales"-people who are paid a salary high-enough to enjoy the hobby and explore your application.

You'd be surprised with the incentives BPS gives their employees to become knowledgeable on their product lines.

Going to Dicks, Cabelas or BPS and expecting a good gun shop is like going to McD's and expecting Filet Mignon. ????? It's a FISHING STORE (or general sporting goods store or general hunting supply store, as the case may be)!!!!!!!

I buy my rods, reels and luuuurrrrrz from BPS. I buy my guns from gun stores. I don't get them confused.

I iwll say one good thing about BPS in Hooksett. I went into Walmart next door and bought their last 2 boxes of Winchester Train and Defend (T). I then went into Bass Pro and found that they had 6 more boxes at $2.01 more per box. I was about to leave when I saw the little sign in the aisle that said "We will meet any price that is currently available". I went to the service desk and asked "what does that mean?" the person said "As long as you have proof that it is a currently available we will meet the price." I said "I have a sales receipt." THey asked "how old is it?" I answered "10 minutes.. I just bought it at Walmart". SHe said "that works just bring the items here and show me the Walmart receipt."

I bought the last 6 boxes and they met the Walmart price.

Met an awesome sales guy at the Gander mountain in Charlottesville VA. Guy was way too knowledgeable for a chain store gun guy. He knew his products and steered my buddy to the good stuff. Not all chain stores are bad. Also. The 50BMG federal was like $3.25 a round. Not bad for store prices. It was just kinda weird seeing glock MOS on the racks.

Yup, they're not doing so well. One in PA right near my mother's house was closing over Christmas and had some good deals on ammo and accessories. Gun deals were not great. Maybe 10% off their already overpriced listings.

I did find four boxes of .32 Winchester Special and bought them all. Made great Christmas presents for my dad and grandfather.

Happened with the boat stores a couple years ago. West marine bought the competition. Can't remember if it was boat us, another one, or both. Nothing has really changed except the stores got a little more fancy. I'd have to agree with the consensus so far BP much better for fishing and Cabellas is much better for shooting. No argument there. Neither have any clue about what to put in their stores for new england fishing though.

Great my CC will be sold to Capitol One....anyone want to take bets on how long it will be before I have to fire them? C1 has the worst reputation in the industry.

Really??? I've yet to have a problem with them. Heck, I've yet to have a problem with ANY credit card company. I interact with them about once a quarter century or so - outside of them contacting me in some way to check if I've actually used the card on something.

Capitol One Sux!

I have a very good credit score.

Always pay on time and had nothing but headaches with Capitol One!

Closed the account and never will use them again.

Q: Will Cabela's continue to trade/buy used firearms?
There are no plans to alter this program at this time.

Politispeak BS. They aren't saying "yes" so there is still a possibility of discontinuing sale of firearms

Anyone who's been part of a corporate take-over knows its only a matter of time before the consumed company fades away.

I found Cabela's to have some high to very high quality items. Bass pro on the other hand I found them to be the Harbor Freight of the outdoor world.

Anyone else find this to be true?

I've never thought of trading or selling a gun to a huge store.. Always sold it FtF using Facebook or NES or Armslist.

Do you get good prices selling to places like ProBass?

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G930A using Tapatalk

I found Cabela's to have some high to very high quality items. Bass pro on the other hand I found them to be the Harbor Freight of the outdoor world.

Anyone else find this to be true?

Yep. BassPro house brands suck. They have too much cheap crap. Cabelas carries better quality product overall.

Back
Top Bottom