Bass Pro Shops buys Cabelas

Usually means nothing good for the consumer. [rolleyes]

Tru-dat. What do they do with 2 stores in the same state at this point????

I hate "activist investors." Most often, they are out to destroy something for their own gain. This crap went on with no end in the 80's and early 90's. Then their buddies come in 5 years later and break these companies up for even BIGGER profits.

I don't shop Cabela's at all. Just not worth it. The only reason I use BPS is it's 25 min from my house. Otherwise I'd probably not bother most of the time anyhow.

But this WILL mean job losses and store closings for Cabela's. Hammer a few local economies. I do NOT want some sort of law, but it's always nice when a BOD or other group of shareholders tells and "activist investor" to go pound sand. ;)

I dislike BP very much. Their prices are always noticeably higher than anyone, anywhere. Cabellas though, I've always found great deals there.

^this
at first i wasn't a cabelas fan but that has changed. their prices, sales, selection and everything about their shop is pretty solid. ammo selection is unparalleled at least here in MA. i hope they don't turn them into BPS bullshit with fishtanks and twizzlers everywhere.

Could be an opportunity for DSG to expand the number of Field & Stream stores. I've read they've got 30+ stores planned by end of 2017.

Cabelas is better for everything but fishing stuff. Theory hunting clothing is head and heels above BPS which in all honesty just sucks.

I also hope they leave the brand alone. But all is game in the name of profit. Cabelas obviously wasn't making enough of it which facilitated the buy out. So somethings going to change. BPS didn't spend money to buy a brand to lose money on it. So things are going to change IDGAF what the CEO says.

Last edited:
at first i wasn't a cabela's fan but that has changed. their prices, sales, selection and everything about their shop is pretty solid. ammo selection is unparalleled at least here in MA. i hope they don't turn them into BPS bullshit with fishtanks and twizzlers everywhere.
It took me a while to warm up as well. I was crazy disappointed about their pitifully small and boring Massachusetts handgun selection, utterly clueless gun salespeople, painfully slow checkouts, no transfers policy and no used handgun sales whatsoever. [rolleyes] All the good used trade-ins were being shipped out of state almost like the bonded warehouses do to us. [angry] I was used to the massive East Hartford Cabela's and Berlin (at 1/3 the size) was a bad joke in comparison.

But I did warm up over time. Sales and money-off coupons and discounted gift cards together with the large ammo selection made the difference. It wasn't always great, but overall I did just fine with them and became a fanboy. Most recently, some very good sales people helped me to complete a sale that wouldn't have even been possible when they opened. They were so helpful that I wrote to corporate to praise their caring and competence.

Cabela's Berlin is still not perfect. The firearms checkout process has improved markedly but it's still a royal pain in the ass compared to any good gun shop. One clumsy, slow clerk in particular always manages to screw up a firearm just a little during the checkout process... bizarre but true. But my biggest grip was when they stopped doing price matching on firearms. That was the beginning of the end for me.

So now I'm back to patronizing regular everyday gun shops... from FSGuns all the way down to the smallest start-ups. Cabela's going away won't hurt me a bit. It's unfortunate that it is happening but no one can say that we didn't get enough warning. [grin]

Last edited:
I've always found BP better for fishing and Cabela's better for firearms.
This! The ammo is no bargain at cabellas but ok pricing and amazing selection. Bass pro is great fishing gear but the redbhead name brand of clothing is crap compared to cabellas name brand. I hope the cabellas brand clothing line stays

Regardless of what the memo states, I don't see how the Cabela's store in Berlin, MA is going to be allowed to stay open as it is right between two Bass Pro Shop stores. Oh well, I knew that they should have built it in SW New Hampshire.

This is a good point, for the short-term they'll bank on brand loyalty but that won't last forever.

I stop at cabelas in scarborough Maine every time I'm up north. They have a huge ammo selection. Great big store, . I think they will leave that store alone, don't think there is a BPS up there?
The only downside is that maine sales tax is higher than Mass.

BPS is convinient for me because foxboro is 10 minutes from millis. But Cabelas is way better for ammo in bulk. I hope this aspect doesnt change

emailed BPS:

I'm Steve, an avid outdoorsman and shooter from MA.

I read with interest the announcement that BassPro and Cabela's are to merge.

I just wanted to pass along my congratulations, with the comment attached to it that I hope you won't screw this up. I patronize both stores, but find Cabela's has a far superior selection and availability of "shooting" stuff. Ammo. Reloading supplies, and other shooting supplies that aren't limited just to hunting.

I hope BPS management has the good sense not to mess with that. There is far more to shooting than just hunting, which is all BPS seems to acknowledge.

If they're *really* on the ball they'll expand the guns and shooting sections to include more "tactical" gear from 5.11, MagPul, etc. More and better selection of modern sporting rifles, parts, and accessories.

==============

Here was their response:

Steve,

Thank you for contacting basspro.com. Your business is truly appreciated. As our companies merge together, we will strive to provide an improved experience for customers and greater support for conservation activities for years to come. At this time there will be no changes in how our companies work. As more details becomes available, it will be released to the public.
Thank you for allowing us to be of service to you.

Best regards,
Kaylie
Bass Pro Shops
2500 E Kearney
Springfield, MO 65898

From the letter:

"And to all our total faithful employees. . . . . 20% of you are now fired!" LOL

This. Cabelas has been my main credit card for years because I can use the rewards for things I actually want and need.

Consider the Capital One travel card. With the $ I put on the card, I ran out of things to buy at BPS. RAN. OUT! LOL

Travel card - I rack up serious $ for travel. Anything from airline ticket to hotel room to MBTA pass. It all counts as travel. I think it's 2% on everything.

Regardless of what the memo states, I don't see how the Cabela's store in Berlin, MA is going to be allowed to stay open as it is right between two Bass Pro Shop stores. Oh well, I knew that they should have built it in SW New Hampshire.

There's no reason to put it in say Keene because SW NH lacks one important feature that Cabela's requires - an interstate.

A store in Keene for instance would get business from SE VT, southern NH and northern Mass. Keene to me is more of a pain to get to than Manchester, Concord, Nashua and the like.

The only time I bought a big ticket item at Cabela's was an EOTech 512 at the Maine shop. Only bought boots at the Foxborough BPS once. If I want guns or ammo, I go elsewhere.

Usually means nothing good for the consumer. [rolleyes]

Dammit.

I hope they leave Cabela's alone and run the two stores in parallel.

From 30,000 feet they look the same, but Cabela's is much better for shooters, while BPS may be better for fishermen.

When one company buys another company, the first thing they do is PROMISE to keep things the same.

Then within a year, they change things. Likely they will operate only under the BP name after a while, close some stores and basically push the BP products/philosophy to the former Cabela's stores.

BP sucks for bulk ammo and guns (pricing) and is very lame on reloading supplies, but lots of hunting gear.

Cabela's has a very broad selection of bulk ammo and reloading supplies and they even sell some used rifles in MA (big surprise) which BP won't do. So you can expect all this to go away.

Look for clearance sales on Cabela's branded gear or stuff that they sell but BP doesn't and keep the rest of us aware so we might score some stuff at fire sale prices before things change over.

I guess I don't have any real opinion on either Cabela's or BPS. I have never been into a Cabela's. I have on occasion ordered items from their website. Never had a problem. I could spend a day driving to Mass. or Maine stores, but I find that either my LGS or KTP takes care of whatever I was looking for and don't have to make a day of it. BPS Hooksett is only 25 miles away. I have been there a handful of times this year. Visually I like the atmosphere at BPS. But coming from a life long retail management background, I know that atmosphere is very expensive and we the consumer end up paying for it in the end. From experience I have found not to buy anything unless its on sale. For guns and ammo, I find better prices by quite a lot from my LGS. And for most everything else I want or need that Amazon is usually at least 30% cheaper. But usually closer to 40-50% less, plus no shipping and anything can be returned without leaving my house.

As I recall, Cabela's got into some hot water many years ago as it came out that a few dozen of their vendors were actually anti-NRA, Anti-2A, Anti-anything related to hunting/shooting or any forms of outdoor recreation that used or relied on any type of fossil fuel burning vehicles like Snowmobiles or ATV's. Many millions of dollars in profits made by these vendors selling to Cabela's were used in an attempt to shut all said(and more) related activities down. Burt's Bee's comes to mind as one of the better known "Anti 2a" companies involved.

Back
Top Bottom